Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Perry County)

Default Selling long guns

I have a female co-worker who was left some hunting guns from her late father. She inquired about selling them and I just wanted to clarify some things. Does she need to go through an FFL or can she sell them privately?

I told her that I can ask on here to see what they may be worth and also see if anyone may be interested in purchasing them. I first need to determine exactly what they are and then I can inquire in here as to the possible value and perhaps list them in the WTS section. I would rather ask other gun owners first to see if there is anything special about them that a dealer might not tell her (ie: failed to mention that it is a valuable limited edition or something). One is a 22, one is a black powder muzzleloader and she thinks the third is a 264? Admittedly, I am not knowledgable on long guns.

Dave

(Westmoreland County)

For a face to face private sale of long guns you do not need to go through an FFL. Only if the private sale is for handguns do you need to go through the paperwork.

(Perry County)

OK. This is the information she forwarded to me from her husband. Any information anyone can provide as to a ballpark value would be appreciated. She may then ask me to put them in the WTS section. Thanks!

Dave:

This is what my husband got for me on the guns:

1.) Winchester 264 Magnum - Model 70 - Very Good Condition

2.) Optima Muzzleloader with a Bushnell Scope - Brand New - Maybe shot 1-2 times (He got this one the fall right before he died)

3.) Marlin 22 S-L-L-R with Scope - Good to Fair Condition

Any info you can get for me on their value would be great. Also, if you find out that anyone may be interested in buying them, please let me know! I really appreciate all of your help!

The muzzle loader does not need to go through an FFL...even if she sold it to someone in another state.

Your friend can sell a rifle or shotgun to another PA resident without having to go through an FFL dealer. I would recommend it to her because the firearm is transferred to the buyer...that way your friend is free and clear from any liability.

What I would also recommend is that if your friend wants to sell FTF to another PA resident...to have a "bill of sale" that both the buyer and seller both sign two copies. One copy for the seller and one copy for the buyer. I would include the make, model and serial number and date. That way both parties have documentation...it's a CYA document. I have been sold a few rifles lately, and if it's a FTF sale...I make the buyer sign or else I won't go through with the transaction.

If your friend sells the firearms to someone in another state...she might have to ship her firearm from her FFL dealer to a FFL dealer in the state where the buyer resides. Some FFL dealers will accept shipments of firearms from a non FFL holder...IE the seller. So if she sells to someone in another state...I'd make sure that the buyer's FFL will accept a firearm package from the seller.

I hope that didn't confuse you. If you have any more questions...you can IM me or I am normally in the chat room on the forum. Best luck to your friend.

BTW...the Winchester should fetch a good price because it's an oddball caliber. A lot of Winchester collectors like that odd ball caliber.

(Perry County)

Thanks for the info guys. Any idea what range (pardon the pun) the different guns would fetch? Like I said, I am NOT knowledgable about long guns and am not a hunter. Is there any online pricing guide for used rifles?

I just want to make sure she isn't taken for a ride if she decides to sell them. If she wants me to list them in here, it won't be right away as I am leaving for vacation tomorrow. I will give her the information and see what she wants to do.

Thanks again!

Dave

Try www.gunbroker.com a lot of times people list firearms that are higher in cost, but you can do a search function to find out what the same firearm sold for on gun broker in the past 30 days...that way the seller can get an idea of market prices. There is also a blue book for values, but firearms change in prices from time and time...so unless you subscribe to the bluebook online, you may not get the most up to date pricing information.

I have stated this many many times...a person should never feel "taken" if they sell or buy something and they walked away feeling satisfied with the transaction. Some people may say you were cheating or you got a great deal...but ultimately...if you are happy with the transaction...that's all that counts.

(Huntingdon County)

Default Any progress ?

Is there any possiblity you are actually selling any of these guns? Please advise.

(Perry County)

OK...that's really scary. Are you sitting behind me or something? LOL!

I was just talking with the girl in my office who has the guns. She just had the chance to run them by a gun dealer so her could tell her what she had.

She gave me the OK to post them for sale. She is going to take some pics of the Winchester model 70 and the muzzleloader and I will post them tomorrow.

I know you said you were interested in the Winchester. Would you care to make her an offer or do you want to wait for the photos. I can't vouch for how good or bad they will be.

Dave

(Perry County)

Jim, I just got into the office and am waiting for her to arrive. Assuming that she got to taking the pics last evening, I will post them in the "for sale" forum and check with her as to the price she wants for each. I'm not positive that she's parting with the .22 or not. I will advise.

Dave G.