Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Considering run for State Representative

Over the past year or so, I have become more and more interested in legal issues in PA. This interest coincided with my study of federal and state gun laws. If I was going to start carrying a firearm, I was going to be sure I knew every law about them.

I have always been relatively political, but have always focused on federal elections, volunteering on the campaign trail for congressmen and presidents. On most issues I find myself aligned with the Republican party. In the past year, I have started too look at state government and what can be done there.

As an economist, I believe the state tax law has to be reformed. We have one of the highest corporate tax rates in the nation. This scares away business. I would look to lower this, even a slight change would have a dramatic effect. It's even possible that a tax decrease would increase total revenues. I'm am solidly against Rendel's attempt to raise the personal income tax. In a recession, this would spell disaster. It's easy to just think that it effects workers, but the real fact is that overtime this will chase jobs out of PA. To maintain the same quality and quantity of workers, employers will have to pay them more because their workers are keeping less of their paycheck. In the last 6 years, the state government has grown 40%, while inflation in that time has only been 18%. We need to stop this trend. I realize this is a gun forum, but my point is I am fiscally conservative.

As far as guns go, I am solidly pro-gun. I would like to make some minor pro-gun changes: like allowing LTCF holders to have firearms in their car on school grounds if they are traveling through the property or are picking up someone. As many of you know, there is a lot of confusion on this the way the law is written now. I would also like to try to get the post office to change it's policy so customer can keep firearms in their car. Currently, someone could be breaking the law and not know it, since oftentimes its unknown if the parking lot is owned by the PO. I realize this would basically be a request, but if we passed a resolution asking for it, and petitioned PA's federal representatives, it could be done.

I live in Skippack, which is in 147th Pennsylvania House of Representatives District. As some of you may know, Bob Mensch our current Rep. will be running for the 24th State Senate seat. Knowing Mensch's record, he will likely win the seat, and the 147th will be open. I would like to run for this seat, there will be a special election probably in early December.

It was first proposed to me by a close friend involved in Republican politics. I didn't really take it seriously, because if elected I would be the youngest State Rep. in office at 23 (there are four others who are about 25-27). But talking to people over the last few weeks, as well as doing a lot of research, I have come to the conclusion that I would be a good legislator, and look forward to the challenge.

I am writing to you to brainstorm, as well as ask for your help.

As far as I know, there is only one other republican looking for the 147th seat. A young woman who is 24 or 25 who works for another State rep. close by. I don't really know much about her, but from what I have heard, and what I know about the district, I think I would make a better candidate. There is also the issue of state law restricting legislative employees from campaigning while still employed.

I have a meeting with the Montgomery County Republican Committee Chairman Bob Kerns in about a week. I'll probably know more about my chances after this. I've gathered a substantial amount of commitments to contribution from friends, friends, and my own savings, which will defiantly help my case.

This is where I could use your help:
    • Has anyone heard of anyone else who wants to run in the 147th?
    • Has anyone heard about me?
    • Is anyone here involved with Montgomery county politics who could help me get the nomination?
    • Does anyone know who the democrats are considering putting up?
    • Does anyone have any knowledge or advice that would be helpful?

I really hope that I'll be able to serve the 147th and PA in the coming year. I will be updating you when I have news. For those who live in the area, I'll see you at Eastern PA meet and greet this Saturday. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by MontCo Alex; May 11th, 2021 at 11:10 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Considering run for State Representative

Wish I could vote for you.

(Mercer County)

That's awesome, man!

If I may be so humble...here is a primer for running for office (you may already know this stuff):

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...sic-guide.html

Here's my first bit of advice for your initial start. The county party leaders (in any party) like to think of themselves as kingmakers. They only like to push their chosen people. If they try to dissuade you from running, it is because they have chosen someone. Don't let this bother you. You aren't running for dog catcher. You are going for a well-paying job with killer benefits and perks out the wazoo. That opportunity draws all types out of the woodwork.

If you are interested in making a change in Harrisburg, go for it. There are only a few - and I mean A FEW - conservatives in Harrisburg. There a crapload of moderates and a large chunk of liberals, mostly from metro Philly.

You need to have the courage to stand for your beliefs...both while you run and while you serve. So many people forget why they are there and how they got there in the first place.

If you are big on economics, check out the Commonwealth Foundation. Matt Broulette is a great guy and is sharp as a tack about reforming PA economics.

Go get 'em!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    That's awesome, man!

If I may be so humble...here is a primer for running for office (you may already know this stuff):

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...sic-guide.html

Here's my first bit of advice for your initial start. The county party leaders (in any party) like to think of themselves as kingmakers. They only like to push their chosen people. If they try to dissuade you from running, it is because they have chosen someone. Don't let this bother you. You aren't running for dog catcher. You are going for a well-paying job with killer benefits and perks out the wazoo. That opportunity draws all types out of the woodwork.

If you are interested in making a change in Harrisburg, go for it. There are only a few - and I mean A FEW - conservatives in Harrisburg. There a crapload of moderates and a large chunk of liberals, mostly from metro Philly.

You need to have the courage to stand for your beliefs...both while you run and while you serve. So many people forget why they are there and how they got there in the first place.

If you are big on economics, check out the Commonwealth Foundation. Matt Broulette is a great guy and is sharp as a tack about reforming PA economics.

Go get 'em!!
    Bob Mensch signed the CF petition regarding taxes/budget reform, and I would do the same.

http://www.repmensch.com/?sectionid=...e=3&itemid=158

I am defiantly worried that when Mensch wins the 24th, everyone who ever wanted to will come out of the woodwork and want to run. If someone with a lot more political experience comes around, I would understand if they pick him/her. So far, I haven't heard of anyone but the young woman I mentioned.

(Mercer County)

It's up to you and the voters. Get out and knock on doors. Have someone who is really good at press releases write some for you for all of the media outlets in the region. Meet people and be clear on your positions. Get a website up and running so people can find out about you without talking to you face to face.

(Northampton County)

I wish you luck. My one piece of advice is that, if elected, you start forgetting the reasons you originally decided to do this, it's time to step down. If you can keep true to your beliefs and do good honest work stay in the game. But if not, bow out.

Again, good luck

(Allegheny County)

I considered running for State Rep too, but I'm going to hold off for a bit. When I run, I want to win and in order to do so, it must consume your life for about 2 years-- impossible when I have to work to support household. Running for office becomes a full-time job. If you can dedicate the time to speaking to as many residents in your district as possible, you can win regardless of the money being used against you. Face to face interaction is far more important than running TV ads in my opinion.

If you can make the time commitment, go for it. Age shouldn't be an issue. Heck, I'm sure a lot of people are dying to see younger people with fresh ideas replace the older status quo GOP puppets. If the GOP is running someone against you, be prepared for smear attacks against you and your family though.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    It's up to you and the voters. Get out and knock on doors. Have someone who is really good at press releases write some for you for all of the media outlets in the region. Meet people and be clear on your positions. Get a website up and running so people can find out about you without talking to you face to face.
    Quote Originally Posted by addicted2freedom View Post
    I considered running for State Rep too, but I'm going to hold off for a bit. When I run, I want to win and in order to do so, it must consume your life for about 2 years-- impossible when I have to work to support household. Running for office becomes a full-time job. If you can dedicate the time to speaking to as many residents in your district as possible, you can win regardless of the money being used against you. Face to face interaction is far more important than running TV ads in my opinion.

If you can make the time commitment, go for it. Age shouldn't be an issue. Heck, I'm sure a lot of people are dying to see younger people with fresh ideas replace the older status quo GOP puppets. If the GOP is running someone against you, be prepared for smear attacks against you and your family though.
    This would be a special election, and therefor there would be no primary. If I got the nomination, it would just be me vs whomever the Dems throw up. The county party decides who they want to put up.
    We have to be careful about alienating the moderate conservatives. Sometimes someone has to vote their district. You are a representative of your district, so if there is a mandate there to vote for something, you take a risk they will not understand why you voted against what they wanted. someone who votes with you 9/10 of the time is better than someone who votes with you 0/10 or 1/10 of the time

-Alex

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 308man View Post
    Wish I could vote for you.
    Sure you can...........
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Update:
    It seems unlikely now I'll be running this year, at least not during the special election. I might consider a primary run in the future, but for now it's unlikely I'll get the nomination. In the past week it seems a bunch of people have jumped in. I'm also sort of disillusioned with the politics part, it seemed a lot of people cared more about who I was, than what kind of legislator I would be.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast