Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Car Illegality Towed?

I tried searching, but can't really find anything helpful so I thought I would give it a shot and ask here. I will include all the info I have about what happened.

On Thursday night I went over a friends house to watch the Steeler preseason game. I was there for maybe an hour and a half when I noticed my car was missing. I called the police as soon as I stepped outside and saw it was gone. An officer reponded and I gave all my info and all that stuff. At this time the officer said no one said anything about towing a car out here. So at this point I think the car is stolen.

I was not parked in front of anyones driveway, or blocking anything that someone would get mad about. I was parked in front of my friends house on the street. There was also a car parked directly behind me also on the street. There are no signs posted saying "No Parking" or "Private Property" anywhere. So as far as I knew I was allowed to park there. There were 3 other cars also parked on the street when I first arrived.

Now it's monday and I still haven't heard anything from the police about where my car is. I call up my friend and ask for his landlords number. The house is a deplex that he is renting. So I call up the landlord and ask if they had issued a tow on that property. I was told no they did not and knew nothing of the tow, but was then given the number for the tow company that they use for their properties.

I then call up the towing company and was told that yes they did have my car. I asked why it was towed and was told it was private property and that I couldn't park on the street. I then asked who authorized the tow and was told "It's private property we tow from there all the time". So at this point I am getting a bit upset trying to find out what is going on and why it took 4 days of me searching to find my car. The towing company never tried to contact me or the police. The longer it sits on the lot the more money they get. So I ask how much it's going to cost to get it back and was told $300.

Now something isn't right here. Ok so my car gets towed for being on private property when I had no idea that it was. I get no word at all from the towing company until I tracked them down. The car is still listed as stolen at this point because the towing company didn't tell anyone that they took the car. Now this is just a guess, but I think the towing company has a contact with the reality company and just drove by the property and saw my car and towed it to make a quick buck.

I've been searching for hours and can't find anything on towing laws or any helpful information and I would just like to find something out. I think I was unfairly towed for no reason and now I am being told to pay or just lose the car.

I bit of a long post but I would really like some help here. Thank you.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Car Illegality Towed?

I'm not a lawyer but I would think that if the landlord didn't call and request a tow, and it was a public street with nothing indicating you weren't allowed to park there you definitely have grounds to fight the charges, and possibly even hit them up for a little compensation for the time you spent without your car.

Tell the police that you found out who has your stolen car. There are legal requirements for notice before a property owner can have your car towed. If those are met, then it's my understanding that they can have a standing contract with a towing company which allows the towing of any vehicle in violation of the signs.

Take pictures of the block, ask the cops to get your stolen car, put the burden on the towing company to prove that they have the right to hold your car.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

I then call up the towing company and was told that yes they did have my car. I asked why it was towed and was told it was private property and that I couldn't park on the street.
    I'm confused on this. If the car was parked in front of a house on the street... how can the street be private (not city) property?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I'm confused on this. If the car was parked in front of a house on the street... how can the street be private (not city) property?
    That was just what I was told. I don't know how someone can make their own private road. It is a dead end street and both sides are lined with the duplexes.

Edit: Google Image of the street posted below. I was parked exactly where that red suv is now.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7045/streetp.jpg
    Last edited by Kazz; August 18th, 2009 at 05:07 AM.

(Washington County)

It could be a private road.

(Schuylkill County)

Call the Police and say you know where your stolen car is.

Let them figure it out. If you pay to get the car out, then you will have to sue to get your funds. At least LEO will not get the run around with 'why was my car towed'.

That road looks like hell, most likely a private road. No curbs or signage. Even if it was private property, you were an guest of one of the residents.

Worst case you pay to get your car and sue (small claims) the landlord AND the towing company. Look at your friends lease to see what it says about parking.

Best case is LEO tells the tow co. that they stole your car and give it back ASAP.

(Monroe County)

Sorry dude but one glance and I can tell that is NOT a city, township or state road.

There should be some kind of signage at the end of the block though or someplace. Your renter friend should at least be aware of the rules.

(Luzerne County)

Where are friends supposed to park when they visit there????

The road may not be a city, town or borough road but it certainly looks like it is open to non-homeowner travel. If you have three friends over, they all can't park in your driveway.

The reality company may have a contract with the tow truck company to remove any "unauthorized" vehicle. Does your friend have a sticker or something in any of his vehicles?

I used to live in an apartment complex that required our vehicles have a little sticker near the inside rear view mirror. If we were having people stay overnight, we were required to notify the office. Friends could stop by at any time, but overnight was the issue.

(Allegheny County)

Quick update. I just off of the phone with the reality company and they said again they did not have anyone tow a car from that property. So how does my car get towed if no one complains about it? Something really isn't right here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast