Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Still legal to do a face to face rifle sale in PA?

I've read here and heard chatter recently about potential rule changes in face to face sales of long guns in PA.

Could someone summarize or cite the most current laws/regulations that I need to adhere to when buying or selling? I tried the search but everything it pulled up was >6 months old and I don't want to rely on "old" information.

Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Still legal to do a face to face rifle sale in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I've read here and heard chatter recently about potential rule changes in face to face sales of long guns in PA.

Could someone summarize or cite the most current laws/regulations that I need to adhere to when buying or selling? I tried the search but everything it pulled up was >6 months old and I don't want to rely on "old" information.

Thanks!
    As long as the transfer is between two Pa residents, accomplished in Pa, and the buyer is not a prohibited person - there is no Federal or state law that prohibits person to person sale of long guns. FTF or even mail INTRASTATE transfers are allowed without FFL or other paperwork.

For handguns there is no Federal requirement HOWEVER there is a Pa state law that requires an FFL (except for transfer within family by 2 generations);

18 Pa CSA §6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.
    (c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.

(f) Application of section.--

(1) For the purposes of this section only, except as provided by paragraph (2), "firearm" shall mean any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

(2) The provisions contained in subsections (a) and (c) shall only apply to pistols or revolvers with a barrel length of less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length of less than 18 inches, any rifle with a barrel length of less than 16 inches or any firearm with an overall length of less than 26 inches.
    Last edited by tl_3237; August 17th, 2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: added definition firearm
    IANAL

(Luzerne County)

As posted above, there have been no changes to the applicable laws of long gun transfers.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    As posted above, there have been no changes to the applicable laws of long gun transfers.
    Thank you both for the quick response.

(Allegheny County)

You might be hearing bits of info about what's going on with ARs. The PSP are trying to bully gun dealers into selling them as "pistols". If they were to get classified that way, there would be no FTF. I don't see that happening as local officials and the ATF are starting to push back on the PSP.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    You might be hearing bits of info about what's going on with ARs. The PSP are trying to bully gun dealers into selling them as "pistols". If they were to get classified that way, there would be no FTF. I don't see that happening as local officials and the ATF are starting to push back on the PSP.
    This is only supposed only applicable to AR lower receivers, not complete AR rifles/carbines. I won't address the stupidity or illegality of this requirement.

Al

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    This is only supposed only applicable to AR lower receivers, not complete AR rifles/carbines. I won't address the stupidity or illegality of this requirement.

Al
    correct ... it is suppose to be applicable to lowers but some places are doing it for complete rifles.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

What paper works needs to filled out between the parties. My aunt gave me a semi -auto 12ga but we didn't fill out paper work. Should we have?
    Obama.........Just another BUM looking for change

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by hurley1718 View Post
    What paper works needs to filled out between the parties. My aunt gave me a semi -auto 12ga but we didn't fill out paper work. Should we have?
    None is needed.. Receipts are optional for yours and her sake.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by hurley1718 View Post
    No you should not have. It is not required.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast