Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK Introduction

(Lackawanna County)

Default AK Introduction

Well I'd like to say first off that I'm a dumbass and apparently I don't know shit about AKs.

I have a few problems I'd like to address. I'll hit the big one first, and I'm sure I'll catch some flak for it but I deserve it so go ahead and flame me.

Number one it's a polish tantal or aks74 variant. I picked up a spam can of ammo off ammoman.com and have shot it a few times. Well I'm used to shooting pistols like my glock and Taurus and I don't always clean them right away and figured the ak is known for it's ruggedness and it's ability to take abuse. It's my first rifle and I know nothing of AKs.
    This is the part of the recipe where you bring the ignorance to a boil and add a hefty pinch of stupidity. Fresh is better.
    So I shot it a few weeks ago and stuffed it into my range bag and stuck the bag in my closet. Which is down stairs. And has a humidity problem. So in other words it's rusted. Some of it is the apparently quite corrosive ammo which went very well with the moisture. I opened the breach up by whacking the charging handle with a rubber mallet. It didn't take any pounding to do it but sure enough all behind the gas piston is rusted up. And the gas tube. And the muzzle brake. And the chamber. It wasn't super noticeable from looking at it except for the brake but popping it open let that red dust float out. Mmm rust!
    Ok so I'm thoroughly pissed at myself. I don't know how to eliminate rust and I looked on here in the search and even that gave me 30 different ways which other people denied would work. I took it outside and soaked it with wd40 then after a half hour tried running a bore snake through it to see if the barrel was ok. I can see light so it's not blocked but the snake and my cleaning rod will not go through the barrel.
    So let's deal with this first bout of stupidity before we move on. How do I clean it up and see if it's totally screwed or not?
    Like I said Im a novice. I have shot other peoples rifles but they were the ones to clean them. My only knowledge of my own firearms was my pistols. I've run 300 rounds through my first glock and left it to clean til later so thought it wouldn't be a big deal here. Well you live and learn, usually the hard way.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: AK Introduction

Elbow grease and lots of fine steelwool, yep , its a tough job but it can be restored, after cleaning spray down the whole gun with a good cleaner preserver like G96, FP10 etc, even Remoil, keep in the basemen t uncovered and give it a spray down everyday for about 4 days.

With Corrosive ammo you want to clean right after a range session.

Treat any ammo in a spam can as corrosive.

Nyman

(Allegheny County)

Most/all of the cheap 5.45 ammo is very corrosive as you have found out. That is why a lot of people avoid it.

My only suggestion is to use fine steel wool and something like remmy oil. It will take time and work but I'm sure it can be done. It's definitely a tough way to learn about corrosive ammo and moist basements.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

I hate to say this, but...

I told you so...

http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...-hard-way.html

Al
    ETA: my gun was in a COLD basement with virtually no humidity as far as I can tell. It's primarily the ammo so any amount of vapor will cause corrosion.
    Last edited by mythaeus; August 17th, 2009 at 11:35 AM.

(Jefferson County)

I have a big dehumidifier in my basement. Great investment! It was about $150 and can keep the whole basement's humidity below 40%, which has been enough to prevent rusting.

(Fayette County)

I feel your pain.

The only experience i have with rust on a gun was three little spots on my shotgun when i was 13 or 14. I got it off with 000 steel wool and lemon juice. Then i wiped the lemon juice off and cleaned and oiled it really well. It's currently loaded in my bedroom, but there are still marks from the rust to remind me to clean my guns.

(Northampton County)

Once you're able to get it cleaned up and functioning again I'd suggest using any window cleaner with ammonia in it as a part of your cleaning regimen. I can't remember who told me about it, but it kills the corrosive salts that get deposited when you use the old ammunition and helps prevent rusting like you have.

Good luck with it!

(Lackawanna County)

Ok guys I want to address some of the things you guys said, and thanks for the prompt replies!

mrnyman
    elbow grease I can supply and steel wool. Any kind of cleaner? I wouldn't think just a few bales of steel wool would be enough would it?

mojo
    if you know who makes some non corrosive ammo I would be very interested. AFAIK the only places that make it are all commbloc factories. Is remmy short for something? Lol sorry Ive been using only Hoppes 9 for cleaning so far.

levib
    I have a dehumidifier. It's trying to make the den in the basement a little more bearable. Couldn't hurt to put it in the closet.

SlimShady
    you know i think I've heard that about ammonia too but at the time I didn't know what corrosive ammo was so didn't pay much attention.

I apologize for the format I used I don't know how to multiple-quote.

I will have to check and see what's wrong with the barrel when I get home. I can't put a patch down it and that worries me.
    Thanks again guys.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post
    mojo
    if you know who makes some non corrosive ammo I would be very interested. AFAIK the only places that make it are all commbloc factories. Is remmy short for something? Lol sorry Ive been using only Hoppes 9 for cleaning so far.
    I know, I know, I am not mojo, but...
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/S...60grn_FMJ.html

Excellent ammo and for an excellent price.

Al

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I know, I know, I am not mojo, but...
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/S...60grn_FMJ.html

Excellent ammo and for an excellent price.

Al
    Thanks for pointing that out. I just made that out to mojo because he had brought it up .
    From aim
    Item#A545SB
    New Silver Bear brand 5.45x39 ammunition by the CJSC Barnaul Cartridge Plant of Russia. Features a 60grn full metal jacketed boat tail bullet, zinc plated steel case, and non-corrosive berdan primer. Packaged 30rds to a box and 750rds (25 boxes) to a case.

750rd case (25 boxes): $168.75ea

From ammoman
    he other components that make up the WOLF cartridge are also of the highest quality. The gunpowder is clean and consistent burning. The primers used by WOLF are non-corrosive.
    1976 PRODUCTION
    $179-1,080 rounds DELIVERED
    ONE SEALED SPAM CAN
    I only pasted them to show that both claim to be non corrosive. Plus the prices are quite different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast