Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Browning Hi-power info

I want one.

so........

what do I need to know.

I know there are different models, made in diff countrys over diff periods of time.

I want a good shooter with the best trigger, what do I need to know?

9mm only

(Butler County)

Default Re: Browning Hi-power info

Many, many makes and models. The "T" series are supposed to be the nicest and they cost accordingly. http://hipowertalk.com and here http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/UsedHiPower.htm
    Last edited by bortle; August 16th, 2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: new info

(Montgomery County)

Any FN HiPower is a good bet.
    Even the clones are supposed to be pretty good, but not as well finished as the FN units.
    Most HiPowers have trigger issues - a little stiff - due to the magazine safety. Many people solve this by removing the mag safety:
    http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=146749

Some claim this could create a liability issue; the choice is yours. I have a HiPower with the SFS safety :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBmNkz12S_0

This safety is available as a kit for both HiPowers and the 1911:
    http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index....2ga3kv8d3lwfju

Here is another review:
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-162433.html

I really like the ergos, reliability, fit and finish of my FN HiPower. If you can't find a HiPower with SFS, I'd recommend an extended safety and extended slide release levers. Accurate, reliable and beautiful (to my eye) the HiPower is an awesome pistol.

(York County)

just park yourself at hipowersandhandguns.com and soak it all up. stephen camp has done an amazing job with that site and if theres a more knowledgeable guy out there on hi powers, then he doesnt have a website.

i've owned my mark III for about 3 years now and through a couple thousand rounds have yet to have one ftf, fte, or anything else negative even with aftermarket magazines. in my opinion it is a very easy firearm to use and keep clean. you really get to appreciate john brownings genius with it. accuracy is also good but the magazine safety does make the pull somewhat less than ideal, especially since it single action. if you're used to a 1911 trigger, this isn't going to be anything like that. if you can work around the trigger pull, you should get pretty solid accuracy. you could always remove the magazine safety (i'm sure the merits and dangers of doing this have been discussed on this forum in the past) and then i've heard the pull is much much better.

i've read that some people have a problem with hammer bite. never been an issue for me.

the only drawback i can say about the gun is that its expensive. but for me its built the way pistols should be built, single action and no plastic. its a neat alternative to 1911s.
    Last edited by culpepermm; August 17th, 2009 at 12:18 PM.
    Those who beat their swords into plough shares shall plough for those who don't

(Allegheny County)

did they always have the mag safety or was that a more recent addition?

what models didnt have one to begin with ?

(Monroe County)

definitely check out the hipower website for all your information, it's a great resource.
    I was not able to afford a fn or browning hipower and instead went with a FM model. It's Argentinian military and I forget the model but it interchanges parts with all the others. You can find them for 300-400 last time I looked but beware of gun snobs who will call you a poser.

I found mine being sold by a guy with five magazines and hogue grips for three hundred. He was tired of people messing with him because it was a copy. I'll tell you the "original" he bought looked identical to the one he sold me except for the name on the slide. I was not able to shoot his but the one he sold me is sweet and I still have'nt removed the mag safety.

It all depends if you care what others think sometimes. Don't get me wrong I would love an original but I could not swing it and this suits me fine. Sweet shooter that's more accurate than anyone that's going to shoot it. If anyone gives me lip I shoot them a "who are you and why the hell do I care what you think" look at them and have never had them follow up with any of their b.s.. YMMV

RE: mag safety. I believe all models were made with the grip safety but am no expert. I removing mine with no worries. It does'nt affect the relaibility of the gun but rather might cause a problem in a court of law because it's a "modified killing machine made less safe" type of b.s.. Personally, my Glock is my go to defensive gun, this accompanies me to the range and would be used for defensive purposes in a worstcase scenario so I never worried about it.
    Last edited by ByAnyMeans; August 18th, 2009 at 02:45 AM. Reason: clarification

(Allegheny County)

an inexpensive alternative to the Belgians is the Argentine FM pistols, built under license they are really well made and if you can find one a bit cheaper. i have a short "detective" model slide and it shoots like a dream on my old novak done HP frame.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(York County)

all hi powers have the magazine safety from the factory. when the gun was originally developed for the french military, they made it a requirement and its a feature that FN has never gotten rid of.

the only big change that i'm aware of over time with hi powers is the making of the frame and the feed ramp. frames used to be forged, now they are cast. i don't think its a big difference though, certainly no reports of the cast being less strong. also older hi powers (mark II for example) may have some trouble feeding hollow point ammo. the mark III has a little different feed ramp that fixes the problem.
    Those who beat their swords into plough shares shall plough for those who don't

im glad someone started A thread about high powers, i carry a glock 17 but i personally dont think its as nice as my high power, im considering getting a IWB for my high power.
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Local shop got in a FM Hi-power and it is priced pretty cheap. Has a couple scratches on the slide that don't look like they go all the way through the coating. Something that could easily be fixed in the future.

Shawn also saw the gun and passed on it....I am having a harder time passing it up!

I've been contemplating a 9mm 1911 (or .38 Super) and went in to check out some for feel - when I saw the HP in the case.

The fit in my hand is very nice - almost natural. I didn't care for the stock safety - glad there are aftermarket ones available if I ever get a HP

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5...ED_AMBI_SAFETY

Now the internal debate begins...

I did note that this pistol was not locking back on empty - (mentioned this in the 9mm 1911 thread). Probably a magazine follower problem.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast