Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default My car was burglarized...

In Morrisville of all places!!

For those of you who don't know, Morrisville is directly across the river from Trenton. Often times you can visibly see junkies, prostitutes, and the homeless walking around near Bridge Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.

I was visiting my girlfriend who lives there and decided to spend the weekend with her since my car was out of commission for the previous 4 days due to a dead fuel pump which was located in the leaking gas tank which housed the rusted-into-place fuel sender unit; yes it was an expensive repair.

The burglary happened on Friday night into Saturday right near Morris and Clymer streets (not far from the intersection of Bridge street and Pennsylvania Ave. They actually opened the lock on the car. Not sure if they used a slim jim or some other method. They opened the passenger side door which was parked towards the curb and away from the house I was at. They definitely opened it as I am completely OCD about locking the doors. My car does not have an alarm. It is a 1994 GMC Sonoma. Not exactly an in demand car. Additionally, there is really nothing of value in my car. That is the good news.

Things stolen:
    - 1$ pocket knife I kept in my glove box in case I needed a screw driver or something sharp.
    - Power inverter that was given to me by my girlfriend. I have never used it, but it was nice to know it was there.
    - Radio unit - Not that car stereo, it is this silly 20$ unit that I plug my Ipod (which was not in the car) into and it transmits it onto the radio which doesn't even have a tape deck in my car.

I don't think they took anything else. And if they did, it was nothing obvious or important.

However, they missed the 7$ hiding behind the visor on the passenger side.

How messed up is it that the thing that was most important to me is that they didn't smash out the window? I mean, I'm upset that they broke into my car. Perhaps a lot more upset than I lead on. But what kind of world is it that when you are victimized, the first thought is, "It could have been worse?"

What bothers me most is how senseless of a crime it is. As I indicated, nothing stolen was worth anything. We are talking about about less 40$ in items. They can't be pawned for anything. What is the point? Sometimes I just have to wonder what kind of world we live in and where it is going.

Stay vigilant.

-Zach

Default Re: My car was burglarized...

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    What is the point? Sometimes I just have to wonder what kind of world we live in and where it is going.

-Zach
    People will steal anything. I've found that out over the past couple years as display models have gone missing from my store. Keep in mind these are plastic shells with a metal weight inside to simulate the weight of a real phone. They are IN NO WAY a real phone at all, but people still steal them.

When customers ask where a model of a certain phone is and I have to explain to them it got stolen they are in disbelief. I just tell my customer they have too much faith in humanity/people if they think people won't steal anything they can get their hands on.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Northumberland County)

yeah i am staying vigilant, someone broke my door handle on my Explorer cuz i have keyless entry, look slike someone tried to break in it i have a brand new JVC cd player in my truck and 2 -12 inch speakers in the back near the gate in boxes and a radar detector mounted on my windshield . looks like they were messing with the keyless and broke my handle but they didnt get in.

i have a theft deterrent system that so they cant start up the truck, i have no alarm. happened about 1 month ago

(Luzerne County)

Time to get an alarm. Most have remote starts built in, so its a to for one.

I would think that most opportunist would not stick around if an alarm went off.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Montgomery County)

alarms are a deterrent. hopefully they will see the flashing led and move on. If they're pros they'll get your car anyways but it never hurts to have some extra protection. If you need 1 installed let me know. I've been doing it for 20years.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    People will steal anything.
    You've got that right. Any time an opportunity presents itself for criminals to steal something, they will steal anything and everything that is not bolted to the ground or chained to the wall, even then they might make an effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    You've got that right. Any time an opportunity presents itself for criminals to steal something, they will steal anything and everything that is not bolted to the ground or chained to the wall, even then they might make an effort.
    For the most part a lock will only keep an honest man honest. A determined criminal will get past closed doors, locks, and alarms.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    People will steal anything. I've found that out over the past couple years as display models have gone missing from my store. Keep in mind these are plastic shells with a metal weight inside to simulate the weight of a real phone. They are IN NO WAY a real phone at all, but people still steal them.

When customers ask where a model of a certain phone is and I have to explain to them it got stolen they are in disbelief. I just tell my customer they have too much faith in humanity/people if they think people won't steal anything they can get their hands on.

~ Derek
    yep..don't even dare to leave change in your car unless you have tinted windows where crooks can't see in.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Northampton County)

Back in the late 80s, when CDs had value, a buddy of mine had his car robbed.

They smashed the passenger window. He had probably 50 CDs in the car and none were stolen. The radio was not stolen. The only think they did was eat half of a Roy Rogers fast food sandwich on his passenger seat.

Sorry to hear that, but this is unfortunately the world we live in.

When I still had my Wrangler with a soft top, I didn't bother replacing the stereo after they broke in the first time. I figured it would eventually save my nice sunrider roof to not even lock it any more, so I just didn't keep ANYTHING in the car at all. Still, every now and then the sun visors would be moved or the console cover open in the morning.

I sometimes was dreaming about building a trap. Like a piece of rug that looks like a seat cushion but has some ugly fish hook like things sticking out of it, then placing that onto the driver seat while parking the car. But I figured they would probably sue my socks off before any of those uber-liberal judges of today would find anything wrong with them getting into my car in the first place.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast