Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Re: Ruger SR 556 or Colt 6940 ?????

yes there s a a little difference near the gas block but they also make piston conversion kits i was thinking that the 6940 could be one of those you can convert a DI to gas piston using the piston conversion .

Bushmaster has those kits i was thinking about buying one for my Bushmaster to convert it to a Gas Piston retrofit system.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/604206097798.html
    Last edited by TXDMERC73; August 16th, 2009 at 02:00 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Ruger SR 556 or Colt 6940 ?????

Holy carrier tilt...a gun that beats itself up that bad needs to be recalled immediately. It is a shame to see that Ruger let that thing slip out of the factory like that without further/more extensive testing. Is this common for more then just this particular rifle?

Don't know if any of you know this but, I am an advocate/fan of the piston design, and when it comes to picking the Ruger SR 556 and the Colt 6940, I'm gonna have to say the Colt. You can't have your rifle being self destructive like that, that is a big fat No-Go. (personally, I'd buy another LWRC, but that's not what is being asked, now is it.)

If you can wait, see what Ruger does to address this issue, if not...Once again, final answer; Colt.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    Holy carrier tilt...a gun that beats itself up that bad needs to be recalled immediately. It is a shame to see that Ruger let that thing slip out of the factory like that without further/more extensive testing. Is this common for more then just this particular rifle?

Don't know if any of you know this but, I am an advocate/fan of the piston design, and when it comes to picking the Ruger SR 556 and the Colt 6940, I'm gonna have to say the Colt. You can't have your rifle being self destructive like that, that is a big fat No-Go. (personally, I'd buy another LWRC, but that's not what is being asked, now is it.)

If you can wait, see what Ruger does to address this issue, if not...Once again, final answer; Colt.

It is a shame. It appears to have been a problem from day 1. I am sure they can address it for the future, but for now they appear to be a POS and waste of money in today's current pricing...

On the piston route I am a little partial to LMT... If I add a 3rd MRP it will probably be a piston. I am also interested in the .308 that is rumored... Though I have already ordered a LaRue OSR.

LWRCI has come a long way and I believe they are starting to get it right. With any new design, bugs will have to be worked out.

Everybody will still be chasing Hk for a while in the piston category...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Ruger has had a lot of recalls of newly introduced products.

It is a shame to see that Ruger let that thing slip out of the factory like that without further/more extensive testing. Is this common for more then just this particular rifle?

I've been buying and owning Ruger firearms for years. Ruger has had a real problem with NOT doing enough extensive testing of their products lately. They've had problems with their pistols, namely the LCP and SR9, and now this major problem with the SR556.

However, Ruger is very good about fixing problems with their firearms once they realize that there is a legitimate problem. I trust that Ruger will fix the problem with the SR556 or they will dump it. They wont just let it go under the radar for very long. Ruger is gonna need to get their shit together and fix this problem, or they'll never be taken seriously regarding their AR's.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Berks County)

Almost all new Rugers have issues and go through recalls. For that reason, stay away from the Ruger.

From what I understand, the Colt 6940 uses a proprietary barrel. That's a turn off for me. If you want a Colt, get a 6920. If you simply want a quality carbine, add LMT and Noveske to that list.

Now if you really want a piston gun, get ready to pony up big boy cash and look at an LMT MRP piston or an LWRC.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    It is a shame. It appears to have been a problem from day 1. I am sure they can address it for the future, but for now they appear to be a POS and waste of money in today's current pricing...

On the piston route I am a little partial to LMT... If I add a 3rd MRP it will probably be a piston. I am also interested in the .308 that is rumored... Though I have already ordered a LaRue OSR.

LWRCI has come a long way and I believe they are starting to get it right. With any new design, bugs will have to be worked out.

Everybody will still be chasing Hk for a while in the piston category...
    That is one of the main reasons I am still not sold on piston AR's. Carrier tilt is an issue with all short stroke piston designs, the difference is how the manufacturer deals with it. HK's system is a long stroke piston design which negates the issue of carrier tilt.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Chester County)

Until I own a suppressor, and SBR a carbine...I'll have no reason to buy a piston AR.

They're too much of a gadget, and IMO, chip away at one of the advantages the AR has (massively available parts).

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Almost all new Rugers have issues and go through recalls. For that reason, stay away from the Ruger.

From what I understand, the Colt 6940 uses a proprietary barrel. That's a turn off for me. If you want a Colt, get a 6920. If you simply want a quality carbine, add LMT and Noveske to that list.

Now if you really want a piston gun, get ready to pony up big boy cash and look at an LMT MRP piston or an LWRC.
    Yes I was looking at LWRC and it was a little too much money for my budget at this time. I am definitely staying away from the ruger now, it's a shame as it is a good looking rifle. I am now stuck on getting the Colt for sure. Either 6940 or a 6920 and surefire rails.
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8 ... III% OK

Colt is the Original and a great choice, but Ruger also makes a Quality all around firearm, Everything I have read about the new Ruger has been positive. It's all about personal Preference. I have a S&W M&P 15 and I think it is a great AR, I have never had any issues with it and I would like to reccomend that to you as a viable option for purchase. I picked mine up brand new for $869 it's a Carbine Length with a Flat-Top Rail and a Troy Flip up rear sight. I have added some extras to it, but I tell you what for a Factory Zero right out of the box I was shooting 1/2" groups at a 100 yards with open sights and that was even before I dialed it in.

Just some food for thought
    Sector 4

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by cybersurf View Post
    Yes I was looking at LWRC and it was a little too much money for my budget at this time. I am definitely staying away from the ruger now, it's a shame as it is a good looking rifle. I am now stuck on getting the Colt for sure. Either 6940 or a 6920 and surefire rails.
    I would shy away from those surefire rails...they're just not as good of an option as the Daniel Defense or LaRue rails...

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...QsFnUZMkZNF2DQ

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast