Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Re: Ruger SR 556 or Colt 6940 ?????

Ruger has had a lot of recalls of newly introduced products. I think the Colt will be a much safer bet if you are buying now. I have had several Colt ARs and the only malfunctions have been magazine related.

The Officer Store in Chalk Hill PA is having a Sale On the Colt right now 1100.00, they have around 20 or so and it is not limited to LEO's Only.

It the Old PA Police Supply
    Sector 4

(Berks County)

Colt...........

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    Colt 6920 is DI the LE 6940 is gas a little different then the DI its a new rifle only limited number

http://ar15buyersguide.com/Articles....tent1236760110

http://standbyliberty.org/2009/08/02...15-the-le6940/
    I see that you added some links -- please read this part.

After I did the post last weekend on the Colt Ar-15 rifles, a couple people asked about the latest Colt Ar-15 rifle, its designated as the LE6940. Most people just drop the “LE” part and it is referred to as a 6940. The reason I did not mention it, maybe I should have, is that the rifle is an M-4 carbine (6920), with rails instead of hand guards.

The rifle confused some gun people because it looks like an LMT upper, which is piston driven, this is a Colt and it is not. The LMT systems upper receivers replace the gas system to make the gun run more reliably when dirty. When I was explaining the numbers the law enforcement weapons use I should have been more clear that Colt loves to trail on the numbers, meaning a 6920 is a 16″ barrel, M-4 carbine, the 6921 is a 14.5″ version which is actually the length the military use in the M-4. Colt had the original 6700, which was their first full size flat top, then came the 6701, then 6721, 6731 in carbine form, you kind of get the idea I hope.

The 6940 is a 6920, with a monolithic rail system in place from the factory. The rifle uses a 16″ M-4 profile barrel, it features flip up front and rear sights in place of the front sight post and carry handle. The 6940 offers users the ability to mount various lighting or sighting devices on 4 sides around the free floating barrel. Some may question why buy this rifle instead of a normal AR-15, since these rails are permanent. Also you can buy rails for your standard rifle or carbine and put them on yourself. Sure Fire is the company that most consider the best, their rails will cost you around $150 to $200, which is most of the price difference in the two rifles. The 6940’s are just getting out, right now they are bringing a premium price and are a little hard to get. So once they are around for a while they will be about $200.00 more than a standard 6920.

The rifle excited people because Colt doesn’t make new products that often. One other thing I think people need to know or understand, when you hear the term “M-4″, its not something special, its the profile of the barrel on the weapon. It is notched out to mount the under barrel M203 grenade launcher system for the military. Because of the barrel it picked up the term “M-4″ and is now the most popular version of the AR-15, made by anybody not just Colt. Either way you get one, Colt makes a great rifle and if you want a “black rifle” you won’t go wrong with Colt.

(Chester County)

Colt 6920 is DI the LE 6940 is gas a little different then the DI its a new rifle only limited number

http://ar15buyersguide.com/Articles....tent1236760110

http://standbyliberty.org/2009/08/02...15-the-le6940/
    No, it's not.

d90king has one, I've shot it...

If you want more proof...
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=433888

There, you can see the rail/ upper...with the gas tube underneath it.

And the parts diagram:
    Last edited by synergy; August 15th, 2009 at 11:17 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    I see that you added some links -- please read this part.

After I did the post last weekend on the Colt Ar-15 rifles, a couple people asked about the latest Colt Ar-15 rifle, its designated as the LE6940. Most people just drop the “LE” part and it is referred to as a 6940. The reason I did not mention it, maybe I should have, is that the rifle is an M-4 carbine (6920), with rails instead of hand guards.

The rifle confused some gun people because it looks like an LMT upper, which is piston driven, this is a Colt and it is not. The LMT systems upper receivers replace the gas system to make the gun run more reliably when dirty. When I was explaining the numbers the law enforcement weapons use I should have been more clear that Colt loves to trail on the numbers, meaning a 6920 is a 16″ barrel, M-4 carbine, the 6921 is a 14.5″ version which is actually the length the military use in the M-4. Colt had the original 6700, which was their first full size flat top, then came the 6701, then 6721, 6731 in carbine form, you kind of get the idea I hope.

The 6940 is a 6920, with a monolithic rail system in place from the factory. The rifle uses a 16″ M-4 profile barrel, it features flip up front and rear sights in place of the front sight post and carry handle. The 6940 offers users the ability to mount various lighting or sighting devices on 4 sides around the free floating barrel. Some may question why buy this rifle instead of a normal AR-15, since these rails are permanent. Also you can buy rails for your standard rifle or carbine and put them on yourself. Sure Fire is the company that most consider the best, their rails will cost you around $150 to $200, which is most of the price difference in the two rifles. The 6940’s are just getting out, right now they are bringing a premium price and are a little hard to get. So once they are around for a while they will be about $200.00 more than a standard 6920.

The rifle excited people because Colt doesn’t make new products that often. One other thing I think people need to know or understand, when you hear the term “M-4″, its not something special, its the profile of the barrel on the weapon. It is notched out to mount the under barrel M203 grenade launcher system for the military. Because of the barrel it picked up the term “M-4″ and is now the most popular version of the AR-15, made by anybody not just Colt. Either way you get one, Colt makes a great rifle and if you want a “black rifle” you won’t go wrong with Colt.
    Wow thanks for the information everybody,
    I was leaning towards the Colt 6940 because of there reputation (6920) and quality and I was just not sure of the Ruger , it looked nice but I prefer function over beauty.

Thanks for posting the links and informing me that the 6940 is just a 6920 with the monolithic rail system. I could just buy the 6920 and add the surefire rails.

I really like this forum and appreciate the input from everyone. I think I am going to buy the Colt as my first AR platform rifle. Who knows maybe there will be others.
    “They that plow iniquity and sow wickedness shall reap the same.” Job 4:8 ... III% OK

(Chester County)

Colt 6940 hands down. It appears that the carrier tilt issue is a significant problem on the new Ruger. My 6940 has yet to fail and is light, accurate and durable. I added a SOPMOD off one of my LMT MRP's and it now has perfect balance with a CQT mounted. The rifle is light enough, that the usually heavy CQT is no problem on this rifle. Some don't care for the front folding sight but I have no issues with it at all.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    No, it's not.

d90king has one, I've shot it...

If you want more proof...
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=433888

There, you can see the rail/ upper...with the gas tube underneath it.

And the parts diagram:
    yeah well the upper looked like a LMT upper so i never saw the inside of it .
    if its better then my Bushmaster i might trade it for one i like the looks of the 6940.

(Philadelphia County)

if its better then my Bushmaster i might trade it for one i like the looks of the 6940.
    LMT's MRP upper was originally DI only. The MRP is just the platform they decided to use for their piston system.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Chester County)

They actually are a bit different if you look at them. Here they are side by side... The MRP is a solid rail (it is all one piece of the upper), the 6940's lower rail is removable for the installation of a GL... The MRP's fron sight is mounted on the rail vs the 6940 folding sight on the GB...

LMT MRP 6.8

LMT MRP 5.56 notice the difference in placement of the GB..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast