Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Kudos to PA Hunting Ed Volunteers

Completed the PA Hunters Ed course today at Mount Holly Springs Fish & Game. At farty-four years young I think I was the oldest kid actually taking the course/test. I'd like to thank the volunteers in general who donate their time for these courses, and thanks to specifically Don and Harrison for their training efforts at Mount Holly Springs.
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

(Chester County)

Default Re: Kudos to PA Hunting Ed Volunteers

im going in sept. how long are the classes and is the test difficult at the end?

(Delaware County)

I, at 22 years old, was the oldest in my class as well. The volunteers did do an excellent job, but I think it would be beneficial to hold separate classes, based upon age and knowledge of firearms/bows. While it was a very informative class, half of it was spent going over the different types of firearms/bows. That is my only complaint about it. Having grown up a city boy, and never hunted in my life, I would have liked to have learned more about the animals that I'd hunt, and some basic ways of going about that. But again, Kudos to the volunteers, as they had a wealth of knowledge, and I have been in contact with them since, hoping to broaden my knowledge on the subject.

(Northampton County)

Thumbs up Re: Kudos to PA Hunting Ed Volunteers

The HTE course is "preset" in that I mean there is a certain criteria that we follow. They provide an outline that is followed and even a time limit for each section. I whole heartetly agree that it would be nice to spend more time on certain subjects but we follow there guidelines. I havent been an instructor long but that seems to be the general complaint among students. Prior to the set guidelines, instuctors would "ramble" about their experiences, not a bad thing but usually meant that something further along in the class didnt get as much time. Thanks for the kudos, it takes up alot of time to become certified.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by richielionfarted View Post
    I, at 22 years old, was the oldest in my class as well. The volunteers did do an excellent job, but I think it would be beneficial to hold separate classes, based upon age and knowledge of firearms/bows. While it was a very informative class, half of it was spent going over the different types of firearms/bows. That is my only complaint about it. Having grown up a city boy, and never hunted in my life, I would have liked to have learned more about the animals that I'd hunt, and some basic ways of going about that. But again, Kudos to the volunteers, as they had a wealth of knowledge, and I have been in contact with them since, hoping to broaden my knowledge on the subject.
    The materials they give out show other additional learning ops if you would like to focus a specific aspect. From what Don said at the training, it sounds like the HTE course is going to go more and more towards an online independent study format, with just a couple hours in class for mainly the testing. The independent study is already being done but will increase over the next several years. That will require more reading from the student (perhaps 8-10 hours of reading/studying), but the feedback they are getting from the Game Commission says younger students like the online format more than the classroom format.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by c_brutsche View Post
    im going in sept. how long are the classes and is the test difficult at the end?
    Usually its one weeknight (3-3 1/2 hours) and one Saturday (8-8 1/2 hours). Most of the test was common sense (multiple choice and T/F). The study guide book provided in class is helpful.

(Monroe County)

its been a long time since I took mine but the one thing I wish they did was demonstrate how to clean a deer, they never touch on that... at least they never used to
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    its been a long time since I took mine but the one thing I wish they did was demonstrate how to clean a deer, they never touch on that... at least they never used to
    Very brief video on field dressing in general, and one full page in the study guide to read. Nothing step-by-step was discussed.

(Delaware County)

Our schedule was 8-4, on Saturday and Sunday. Our class didn't even get into dressing the animal, which would have been very helpful. It just seemed like some things fell to the wayside. Alot of topics from the manual weren't covered, but the instuctors spent an hour on each different action of rifle.