Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C & R dilema

(Philadelphia County)

Default C & R dilema

Im looking for a quick and cheap solution for my problem..

I bought a 100 year old Argentinean Mauser of the internet.
    Everything is set, except that not one of my local FFLs will accept the item.

They all have this policy that the rifle must come from another FFL. The seller has a C&R license, so there is no need for him to go to an FFL. He should just be able to ship it, and I should just be able to do the transfer locally.

The few FFLs who would accept the shipped item, want to charge me between $50 and $75 dollars for the transfer. WHich is esentially a third of the price for the rifle itself, no mentioning that if the seller has to go through an FFL, there's another $25 to $50 dollars added on top of that.

Would it be legal for somebody with a C&R license to receive this rifle for me, and then meet me at a local FFL to do the transfer (im in philly, but will drive in a weekend) or even better yet, do a face to face transaction with me?

Im willing to provide all necessary information to prove that Im legally allowed to own this rifle.

Any ideas, comments, or help would be greatly appreciated. Im trying to resolve this sooner than later.

Thanks in advance,
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

try www.gunrunnersofpa.com.

my limited experience with Todd is that he is a very helpful guy and very into helping people exercise their 2nd amendment rights based on principle. i'd think there is a good chance he will help you out.

Harford County (Orig Harrisburg, PA), Maryland

Try going on gunbroker and doing thier FFL lookup for all the FFL's in your area that will do transfers for things you purchase on the internet. It will list their contact information and in most cases, the price they will charge to transfer the rifle for you.

(Philadelphia County)

thanks for all the help fellas!

That gunrunnersofPA.com website is very, very cool.

I actually ended up finding a very small gun store .9 miles away from my work who'd do it.

Thanks again for all the support PAFOA!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    That gunrunnersofPA.com website is very, very cool.
    it sure is...and so is the guy who runs it. he really believes in the 2nd amendment and trying to get everyone to exercise their rights thereunder.

i'm on my way out to his place tonight to pick up my new stag ar15 kit...woohoo!!

anyway, glad you found a nearby shop that will do it for you! now you just gotta endure "the wait"

(Allegheny County)

LorDiego01

I had the same problem after winning an auction on Gunbroker.

I won a Spanish FR-8 mauser chambered in 308.

I called federal Firearms and the owner said he'd do the transfer from a private owner.

The gun was shipped to them and another employee went a little over the top telling me they wouldn't and couldn't accept a longarm from a private party. He used to be in some Law enforcement capacity and said is wasn't legal to do so.

I told him that a private party could send a long arm to a FFL dealer (as per Gunbrokers information).
    He ended up calling the owner who eventually did the transfer but also told me it would never happen again in his store. From now on he will only accept a long gun from another FFL.

This Gunrunners looks like a good deal.

Later

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: C & R dilema

If the rifle was in fact 100 years old no FFL was needed. It is considered an antique.
    Rifle could have been shipped directly to you.
    Jeff

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    If the rifle was in fact 100 years old no FFL was needed. It is considered an antique.
    Jeff
    I'm not so sure about that.. I think the firearm has to have been made before 1898 for it to fit that criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    Jeff
    This is where a little nitpicking can make a difference. Firearms made prior to January 1, 1899 would be classified as antiques and not subject to the same standards as modern guns. Firearms made on or after January 1, 1899 would be considered modern firearms.

That would make the gun (or the receiver) 109 years old or older.

(g)Antique firearm. The term 'antique firearm' means any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.
    http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pu...usc_chap53.pdf

26 USC Ch 53 §5845 (g)

(Tioga County)

if it is chambered in 308 it is not a C&R rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast