Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Carry Question

(Lebanon County)

Default Carry Question

Is there any law that prohibits carrying a loaded shotgun and/or AR in a car/truck? Does the LTCF enable this type of carry?

I do not practice this, but I have always been interested in knowing if for whatever reason, legally carry a loaded shotgun and/or AR in my truck?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Carry Question

Rifles and shotguns are to be unloaded in any vehicle, LTCF or not!

I know there is case law to back it up and I will search for you, since this has come up before.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    Rifles and shotguns are to be unloaded in any vehicle, LTCF or not!

I know there is case law to back it up and I will search for you, since this has come up before.

Stole this from JayBell a Mod here because I couldn't copy the link for some reason.

Basic rules for transport of firearms in PA follow the definitions of "firearms".
    in PA law firearms has many definitions, from the "bullet spitter" definition, to what defines "firearm" for CCW use.

If you have a CCW permit, you MAY carry the following items LOADED, and or with ammo in the direct compartment with the firearm:
    semiauto pistol
    revolver
    Rifle with a barrel of less than 16"(includes MGs)
    Shotgun with a barrel less than 18"

you may NOT transport any of the above loaded or with ammo and mags in the direct compartment that has the firearm if you do NOT have a CCW.
    You may NOT transport a loaded 16" or over rifle
    you may NOT transport a loaded shotgun with a barrel 18" or over.
    you may NOT transport a loaded handgun, or revolver, or with ammo in the same compartment as the firearm.

basically, if you have no CCW and want to transport a handgun, keep the handgun in one case, and the ammo in another, even better, separated by something like trunk and backseat.

in the case of a rifle or shotgun, you cna keep the ammo in another separate compartment of the same case, say a padded case, that has the mag or shell pockets on the outseide of the case.

the clue is keep it separate, and outside the case or container that contains the weapon.
    also, keep the weapon and or ammo concealed from prying eyes, and this means folks that walk by the car when parked, and the LE officer thats walking up to your drivers side window on any kind of traffic stop.
    Further, best to NEVER surrender any info that you have a CCW, or there are weapons of any kind in the car. do NOT agree to a search for ANY reason.
    if they ask you to step out of the car, i have a spare key in my wallet, i LOCK the car with the keys in it as further proof that I dont submit willingly to a search.

when they ask the inevitable stupid question as follows, do NOT lie:

"Do you have any drugs, alcohol, or weapons in the vehicle?"

reply :
    "I have nothing illegal in my vehicle officer. Why have i been stopped?"

keep your lawyers number on hand, the law ONLY protects you transporting the gun to and from a range, and if you have CCW permit to carry certain weapons.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0sty View Post
    Is there any law that prohibits carrying a loaded shotgun and/or AR in a car/truck?
    Yes: 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106.1
    Definition of "loaded": 18 Pa.C.S. § 6102

Does the LTCF enable this type of carry?
    No. No exception for LTCF

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lebanon County)

Thanks for the information guys. I know this more than likely looked like a dumb question, but I was always confused on it. I would like to state again that I do not practice this, and the question was asked only for informational purposes.

However this thread has brought up a new question, what about a legal SBR?

(Chester County)

However this thread has brought up a new question, what about a legal SBR?
    Anything meeting the definition of a Firearm under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6102: Definitions, SBRs included, is fine to carry loaded in a vehicle with a LTCF.

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.