Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Need help with chosing a scope for my 30.06

Is it possible to get target turrets for scopes that don't come with them?

I have a few features in a scope for my 30.06 that I want and I can't seem to meet them all in my price range.

I know everyone recommends buying a $500 scope, but that means the difference between scoping my rifle and hunting this year, or having to wait until next year. I just don't have $500 to spend. i have more like $200 or so.

I want target turrets, 3-9x or 4-12x variable, I'd like an illuminated reticle, and I'd like Mil-dot.

It seems to me that the only feature I listed that is possible to be added later would be the turrets.

Or am I missing a model that covers all this? I've seen the BSAs, Barskas, NcStars and was fully prepared to get one of those and deal with "not as clear as they could be" optics. I'm still young and my eyes are fine. But I read a lot of reports on SNipersparadise that they break after a few shots. I can't deal with that.

So my questions are:
    Can I add target turrets later?
    Is there a scope that meets my requirements that I missed?
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

Default Re: Need help with chosing a scope for my 30.06

Mueller scopes have the mil dot and illumination and turret style knobs. \http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MT41650IGR.html

Another option, is to buy the Stoney Point target knobs.
    http://www.stoneypoint.com/target_knobs_index.html

If you want target knobs, I'd suggest buying them on the scope otherwise you will end up spending more in the future to get what you want.

Just remember that this isn't Burger King (you cannot have it your way) without either spending the money or buying a lesser quailty scope. The choice is yours, but sometimes you get what you pay for with optics.

ETA: Do you really need mil dots and illumination to hunt? Especially if you are hunting in PA, you won't need mil dots for the type of shooting most hunters encounter in PA. The illumination can be useful in the early morning and evenings, but it's not a requirement.
    Last edited by aubie515; June 13th, 2007 at 10:41 AM.

(Adams County)

Correct me if I am mistaken.

As I understand it, the point of target turrets is to get ZERO'D at a certain distance with a particular bullet. Then ZERO the knobs.
    Then increase the distance and fingure out how many clicks up and over to get POI and POA to line up again. Then increase the distance and do it again.

Then keep all the number on a range card taped to the stock or whatever.

The problem with this for hunting is you have to know the range to the animal. That is where the mildot reticle comes in, to help get range.

Illumination is just cool.

Otherwise I'll probably just scrap the whole thing and buy a Nikon Buckmaster or something.

The problem with mil dots for hunting is that the animals you hunt vary in size. Mil dots on human targets are generally the same size.

Why not just buy a range finder and be done with it? As I stated earlier...if you are hunting in PA...most shots will be well under 300 yards. Unless, you have some open fields that you are able to hunt.

Illumination can be useful, but most scopes that offer illumination aren't up to par, unless you get an IOR illuminated scope. With your budget, the only illuminated scope I'd recommend is the Mueller line. Those BSA illuminated scopes are crap IMO.

You mentioned the Nikon Buckmaster...well take a look at the 4.5x14 because it's offered in mil dot reticle, target knobs, and side focus.
    Last edited by aubie515; June 16th, 2007 at 01:17 AM.

(Adams County)

Illumination would be nice but I can forgo it for the other features.

Target knobs is my main concern. As for buying a rangefinder, if I can't afford more for a scope, I doubt I can afford a range finder.

I'll look into the Buckmark more, I didn't realize they had a target model.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    Illumination would be nice but I can forgo it for the other features.

Target knobs is my main concern. As for buying a rangefinder, if I can't afford more for a scope, I doubt I can afford a range finder.

I'll look into the Buckmark more, I didn't realize they had a target model.
    Listen to aubie.

You don't need a scope with that kind of capability to hunt with. Mount it as low as possible so there is minimal sightline to boreline offset and if you zero a 30-06 at 200 yards, you'll be within about four inches from 0 yards to 250 yards.

And nobody can shoot offhand, under field conditions, better than that. If you can, you're a better man than me.

Point: Mil-Dot ranging is not something you can pick up easily. As aubie noted, animals are of varying size, even among those of the same species due to age, habitat and feeding habits. Same goes for humans (which is the only point I'd disagree with aubie among all the good points he's made). Not only that, wind estimation is a HUGE issue that takes allot of field experience to get good at so even if you could mil-dot range an animal, how good are you at calling wind?

Apply limited funds to the best "hunting" scope you can afford.

(Bucks County)

Listen to Tony and Aubie and forget the target knobs.

Regardless of the bullet weight you're using, with the rifle sighted in an inch high at 100 or 200 yards, you're still within maximum point blank range without holdover out to at least 250 yards. Remember the kill zone on a deer is 12" in diameter. Any shot in that zone should put it down for good eventually.

If your budget is only around $200, I'd recommend a Nikon Buckmaster. I put one on my varmint rifle last year and I was really impressed with it. My scope is a 4.5-14X, but you really don't need any more than a 3-9X. I think I paid about $250 for it.

(Delaware County)

Look at the Weaver Grand Slam. Clear, robust, not too pricey, 4-14x.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Lancaster County)

Havent used any of their product but from what I have heard from aubie and a few others is that Mueller is a good decent priced scope. I would recommend them...As far as I have heard...I also like bushnell.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

Hi all, can anyone tell me exactly which this is, a majestic or a monarch? it is of course a BSA, 30.06. Any idea of value? Amazingly accurate. Love it. Trigger pushed forward releases magazine, total length 107.5cm/ 42.3inches, safety right of bolt, five stars on bolt, hollowed ball on bolt, serial no. L2075 :-/. Any help appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast