Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Is sporadic ejection a reloading issue?

I just started reloading for my XD 45. When I fire factory ammo the brass seems to eject fairly evenly and after firing 10 shots I can almost always find at least 8 of the brass within a 1 foot circle.

When I test-fired my first set of reloads they all ejected well and fired well, but the brass was all over the place. Is that a function of reloading that can be fixed (more/less powder, different bullet, etc), just a function of reusing brass, or just an anomaly?
    Last edited by lexnaturalis; August 13th, 2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Typo

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Is sporadic ejection a reloading issue?

Is sporadic ejection a reloading issue?
    No, but you might want to see a Urologist.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Jefferson County)

Could be a sign of inconsistent powder charges, which happen with volumetric measured charged cases. Powder doesn't always fill a charging bar or other measuring void consistently. You may get 10.5grs on one stroke of an auto/gravity feed, 10.1gr on the next, 10.6gr, then 9.8, etc, etc. Cylindrical and flaked powders are more prone to such things over ball powders.

If you are using an auto feed that uses volume measurements like Lee's powder disc's, a fill tube, or any other volumetric measurement - try charging a box of ammo with an actual weight measurement. Weight measurements will be more consistent. If it occurs even with weight measurements - then your powder could be a lil funky. lol

Also, powder forward and powder back can cause variations in velocity and pressures, which will effect ejection distances. If the powder settles towards the primer in charges that have some airspace in the cartridge - velocities and pressure will be a bit higher than if you discharge a cartridge with the powder settled to the bullet.

When I use my Lee Pro1000 with it's volumetric measure powder feed, I give the feed and hopper a couple gentle bumps on each charging which has proven to be a bit more consistent which charges.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    No, but you might want to see a Urologist.
    Your proctologist gave you that answer, didn't he?

Flash

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Your proctologist gave you that answer, didn't he?

Flash
    Didn't need to, in reality I'm an amatuer Gynecologist.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Schuylkill County)

I doubt that your powder measure is off .5 grains (HALF a grain!?!?!) You MUST be joking.

The MANUFACTURERS use volumetric throws because they are pretty fool proof. And .5 grain disparity for a PISTOL load is a kaboom.

True, stick and flake powder CAN vary, but if you are seeing more than .1 variance then something is broke.

Anything YOU touch can affect the quality of the load. Is seating depth the same? Did you crimp and post size? What powder/primers are you using?

So, if you want to replicate a factory load, call the factory and ask them the powder they use, and the charge weight, and primer type.

Just picking a load from the manual and slapping it together will not equal a tailored load for your gun.

I think semi-auto cases take a beating when ejected. You didn’t mention if you’re reloading once fired brass or range brass. I’ve looked at cases I just fired that had nicks on the rim. Ones that I find at the range are still good but not in the best of shape.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Farbmeister View Post
    I doubt that your powder measure is off .5 grains (HALF a grain!?!?!) You MUST be joking.

The MANUFACTURERS use volumetric throws because they are pretty fool proof. And .5 grain disparity for a PISTOL load is a kaboom.

True, stick and flake powder CAN vary, but if you are seeing more than .1 variance then something is broke.

Anything YOU touch can affect the quality of the load. Is seating depth the same? Did you crimp and post size? What powder/primers are you using?

So, if you want to replicate a factory load, call the factory and ask them the powder they use, and the charge weight, and primer type.

Just picking a load from the manual and slapping it together will not equal a tailored load for your gun.
    Manufacturers' equipment is a lot better than home user stuff. And, yes .5gr would kaboom a gun near max - but not if the void is already less than max. You cant overcharge a loading void without compressing it in the charger or double loading, but you can undercharge very easily. Without compressing a 10.6gr setting, you can get 10.6gr or less. Its that lesser amount that can cause fluctuations.

(Centre County)

I'm using brass that I've fired. I have 150 rounds that I've fired out of my gun that I'm then reloading.

As for the charges, I'll try to weigh 10-20 individually just to ensure it's not a charge issue. It's possible I just picked a poor load and need to try a different one. It was my first load for my pistol, so that's a distinct possibility.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out and see if it helps.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

So far, so goood, for cannister powders are remarkably consistent from lot-to-lot. More than 0.1 grain variance is almost unheard of in common manufacturing. You are spot on that the reloader himself is the greatest variable.

But from here - - .

The ammo mfgr's will not/can not tell you, because they do not use the canister powders we are able to buy across the counters. They make a batch of powder and tailor it for each round they are loading by controlling granule size, by adding accelerants, retardants, etc., to generate the pressure curve they want for that particular load. Some lots of the same caliber and projectile (ie: 9mm, 115 gr) will be loaded with one powder lot and charge, and maybe the next lot of cartridges will be another powder altogether, but twiddled and fiddled to achieve the same pressure/velocity.

Flash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast