Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Question One in the chamber?

Ok I am probably going to start a firestorm here but I am looking for a few opinions. When CC'ing or even OC'ing with a semi-automatic does anyone walk with one in the chamber? I am trying to get an idea. I know every situation is different and everyone has their own preference but I am not sure that if right at the moment that I need one in the chamber and it's not there will I have enough time to get one in there? Might sound like a stupid question though. My general thought is I know I am supposed to retreat so while I am retreating I can put one into the chamber from the mag but then again who really knows how any situation can go down. Any opinion is welcomed.
    Last edited by jediofdark; August 12th, 2009 at 09:31 AM.

Default Re: One in the chamber?

Carrying a gun without it loaded is like removing the strings from your shoes.

(Lehigh County)

(Northampton County)

Search for these threads...there are many out there already.

As you said, there are differing opinions. I carry with one in the chamber, because in a situation that may be over in 2 seconds I won't have a chance to draw, chamber, then aim at someone that may already be drawing or coming at me with a knife...I want to be ready so that it is a natural draw and I can fire one-handed if my other is out of play (attacker latched on to it, injury, dog bite/attack) without needing two hands to chamber and then fire.

This is my opinion though, and ultimately make sure you are comfortable with your decision.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Montgomery County)

Do I keep one in the pipe? Absolutely. There is no "Excuse me Mr. Bad Man. Hang on a moment while I rack the slide to chamber a round." Nor is there a "Excuse me Mr. Cat Burgler, can you please cover your ears so you don't hear me rack the slide on my firearm."

If I need that firearm, I am likely to need it Right Now, not a second or two from now. An absolute eternity can happen in the span of time it takes you to chamber a round.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0
    When are people going to learn that safety is not a "feeling"

(Monroe County)

^^ what he said.

I don't want to have to worry if I have the time to chamber a round so I carry with one in the pipe.

Personal preference is key here and this was just me stating my mode of carry.

(Centre County)

I absolutely keep one in the chamber. It kind of depletes the point of carrying, at least in my opinion.

When I carry my 1911, I carry it with one in the chamber, the hammer cocked, and the safety on. Some people think I'm crazy, but if I'm going to carry it, I'm definitely willing to use it.
    Last edited by unclemoak; August 12th, 2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: further clarification
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jediofdark View Post
    Ok I am probably going to start a firestorm here but I am looking for a few opinions. When CC'ing or even OC'ing with a semi-automatic does anyone walk with one in the chamber? I am trying to get an idea. I know every situation is different and everyone has their own preference but I am not sure that if right at the moment that I need one in the chamber and it's not there will I have enough time to get one in there? Might sound like a stupid question though.
    You're questions aren't stupid. They're very common. Search the forums here for "one in the chamber". It's discussed very often.

My general thought is I know I am supposed to retreat so while I am retreating I can put one into the chamber from the clip but then again who really knows how any situation can go down. Any opinion is welcomed
    And if you're in a struggle with 3 guys and one of them is holding onto your one arm? You can't retreat. Are you able to chamber a round with one hand?

And the coup de grāce of One in the Chamber discussions:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/33...r-ccw-1-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoak View Post
    Absolutely. It kind of depletes the point of carrying, at least in my opinion.
    Many here do carry a loaded gun with one in the chamber. All the above reasons are valid. We carry for the unknown, and that has a tendency to sneak up rather quickly. Time to put one in the chamber could potentially cost you dearly.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rathmec View Post
    Uh oh . . . this could be another fabiocrow revival . . .

BTW, round is always chambered and mag is always full. Always.
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast