Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default G20 Anarchy in the Burgh...

Did a search but didn't see much posted about G20 lately on PAFOA lately. News reports are getting more scary by the day. Every lunatic and terrorist in the country are scoping out our tunnels, bridges, and Mt Washington as we sit here right now. I work downtown and we are basically planning that it will be virtually impossible to get in there all week. Honestly I want to be nowhere near it. I get the sense some wildly unexpected stuff is gonna go down like none of us are even dreaming about. This is one time I hope I am so wrong. LTCF app submitted last week. Here's hoping it comes in time.

I think Mayor Shit for Brains begged them to have it here thinking it'd be so good for the city in all his naivete...now the .gov sez the Burgh's gotta cover most of the security for the city and the feds won't give a dime for it. I think we need a mayor who is past puberty.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: G20 Anarchy in the Burgh...

i think it will be good for pittsburgh.

pittsburgh still has an image of a dirty, run down, dying steel city outside of pittsburgh.

showing the world what pittsburgh is really like will help draw business here.

the summit itself will also bring in a pretty good amount of money. all those protesters (as well as the summit attendees and their families) gotta eat, sleep, etc. somewhere and spend money to do it.

i live within walking distance of downtown. i plan to walk down and see how close i can get and what i can see. i think it should be quite entertaining.
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i think it will be good for pittsburgh.

pittsburgh still has an image of a dirty, run down, dying steel city outside of pittsburgh.

showing the world what pittsburgh is really like will help draw business here.

the summit itself will also bring in a pretty good amount of money. all those protesters (as well as the summit attendees and their families) gotta eat, sleep, etc. somewhere and spend money to do it.

i live within walking distance of downtown. i plan to walk down and see how close i can get and what i can see. i think it should be quite entertaining.
    How will it be good for Pittsburgh? I think Pittsburgh is an awesome city that has a LOT going for it and probably has one of the biggest gaps between the perception the average American has of it and the reality of living here...the latter being MUCH more positive than the former.

The G20 will not show the world what Pittsburgh is really like at all. It will show throngs of protesters being subdued by the police that they are throwing human waste at..molotov cocktail style.

Why is drawing business here a good thing? Don't need any more.

The expense to the taxpayers and disruption to local businesses many of who will experience significant productivity drops or essentially have to shut down for the week will far outweigh any revenue brought in.

I'm generally an optimistic guy....but I don't have a good feeling about this at all. No one knows what is going on...businesses cannot plan as details of the security measures will not be available until the 11th hour. If I were younger and didn't have family to be concerned about I might go down there to witness the circus myself. If you do..be safe.

Check out the news reports from the G20 in London last spring. And all that was in a city with disarmed citizens. Wasn't much in there that showed the world what London is really like. Careful not to drink to much Ravenstahl Kool Aid.

(Allegheny County)

gonna be a pain in the azz getting to and from work that's for sure.

(Butler County)

I'm far more worried about how rights will be "temporarily" curtailed or eliminated than I am about terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by pyld View Post
    I'm far more worried about how rights will be "temporarily" curtailed or eliminated than I am about terrorists.
    Genuinely curious what you mean by that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Caeser2001 View Post
    gonna be a pain in the azz getting to and from work that's for sure.
    I work for a sizable company downtown...our current operating assumption is that for all practical purposes there will be no getting to work that week...

(Allegheny County)

I'm gonna red up my yard so it looks nice for the summit peoples... or the anarchists, or whoever is going to be in town.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

I know A LOT of city cops.

some of the stuff I'm hearing is reason for concern. From the little to no training they are recieving, to the advice given them by their superiors, to the techniques used by protesters.

theres a lot I wont say online.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I know A LOT of city cops.

some of the stuff I'm hearing is reason for concern. From the little to no training they are recieving, to the advice given them by their superiors, to the techniques used by protesters.

theres a lot I wont say online.
    Or how about the add'l 4,000 or so cops we'll need in addition to city cops with no gov't funding for it....guess who gets to foot that bill....

ETA: Lemme guess...those city cops are all saying how "good for Pittsburgh" it's gonna be?
    Last edited by piste; August 12th, 2009 at 10:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast