Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shoplifter Uses Mace On Officer At Pa.Target Store

They say mace, but probably mean pepper spray HG

Shoplifter Uses Mace On Officer At Local Target
    Reporting: Trina Orlando

HEMPFIELD TOWNSHIP (KDKA) ― State police say they caught a shoplifter in Westmoreland County in the act and now they need the public's help to find her.

It happened around 7:15 p.m. on Thursday at the Hempfield Township Target.

A woman in the electronics section put 33 DVD's in a shopping basket. She then proceeded to wander around the store and into the lingerie department where she transferred them into her handbag.

At this point, Target loss prevention officers had already noticed that the woman was shoplifting.

They were tipped off by the large number of DVD's she was taking and the lack of time she spent picking out the DVD's.

That's why they followed her around the store with a security camera.

When the woman tried to leave the store, she was confronted by a loss prevention officer.

That's when she abandoned her handbag, sprayed the store employee with mace and ran out of the store.

Police say the employee is doing fine, but the fact that she used mace escalated the crime from theft to robbery.

The woman is described as a black, middle-aged female with long hair. She is believed to be driving a silver two-door Toyota Scion.

If you have any information about her whereabouts, you are asked to contact State police in Greensburg.

Wink Re: Shoplifter Uses Mace On Officer At Pa.Target Store

Better a mace than a morning star

(Berks County)

Default Re: Shoplifter Uses Mace On Officer At Pa.Target Store

Since when is a loss prevention employee an "officer"? STFU Trina Orlando!!! Sensationalism at its best!!!

So these "loss prevention officers" are just that ... your average WalMart door greeting retard, designated to stop shop lifters by asking for your receipt and verifying that the number of items in your cart matches the number of items on your receipt.

Now that makes me "feel" so much safer ... really ... NOT.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Lebanon County)

the term officer can be used loosely

technically i was an officer not to long ago myself: a rent-a-officer

Quote Originally Posted by Willtallica View Post
    the term officer can be used loosely

technically i was an officer not to long ago myself: a rent-a-officer
    Just because you patrol an office at night, and some people address you as "sir", doesn't make you an office-sir.

Just saying ...

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Cambria County)

I've been surprised that OC spray has not been a more popular tool among the criminal element for a while now. I predict that it's popularity is going to grow considerably in the near future.

So, if you are mugged at 'OC-Point' is lethal force justified?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    So, if you are mugged at 'OC-Point' is lethal force justified?
    While I have absolutely no legally or educationally credible answer to this question, I would like to point out that the answer is probably similar to being threatened with a TASER or stun gun. Also, since I don’t have an answer, I will plug GunLawyer001’s Workshops so he won’t have to.

(Jefferson County)

"Officer" could quite possibly be used in such situations. Merchants, employees, and agents have statutory power of arrest/detention for retail theft prevention - Title 18, Chap. 39, Subsection 3929(d).

Now if they would have said "peace officer"(LEO's), that would definitely be incorrect.

(Lancaster County)

Let me say something to all of those out there right now that are saying sh!t about Loss Prevention "officers"/ people. Go ==== yourself. I did this job for 10 years and until your willing to put down your gun and go risk you life for a paycheck to support your family piss off. These LP's go out everyday and stop criminals period. In 10 years I have had 2 guns and multiple knives pulled on me while trying to just do my job.I no longer do this . A LP helps keep the prices ( that everyone complains are to high ) down. They go out everyday unarmed and stop people from stealing to help keep those prices down. They are not wantabe cops , they are your average person doing a job period. Sure there are some that are wantabe cops ( they dont last long in the LP field ), but most are just trying to do a job.
    I personally know 3 people that have been shot doing this job , two of them are dead.
    Next time your stopped in a store for OCing by "security" remember they are just doing a job. Most LP's dont know anything about guns or gun laws because guns are not a part of their job.They do not spend time researching OC laws. They just know that if you commit a crime in the store that they are working in they will be the ones to have to deal with you and you are armed THEY ARE NOT and that most likely scares the shit out of them. I know when I did Loss Prevention and a armed person was in my store you bet I watched them , luckly I knew the laws because I enjoy guns. They are most likely not trying to be a asshat to you they are just following orders.

Now fire away at me if you wish.

PS. and yes I have been sprayed by pepper spray doing loss prevention it sucked and the person did get away.
    No longer posting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast