Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Woot - I'm Employed Again

Well, if anyone remembers, I was laid off in mid March. I had worked at my previous job for 11 years but because of the economy, our sales were down close to 50%. I, along with 22 other workers got the boot - there were only 62 total employees in the company at the time of the lay off because they had already laid off 15 back in November of 08.

Well anyhow, I got an offer letter today from a new place and I accepted it. I just need to pass the drug test - and that's not going to be a problem.

Boy, looking for work in this economic nightmare has been rough. I called at least a dozen contacts / business associates and all of them had the same thing to say "business is slow and we're not hiring". A few were laying off too. Normally, these business associates would have hired me in a heart beat - but not now.

I must have sent out at least 60 resumes. Some even as far away as central PA, DE and gasp NJ. Of the 60 resumes, I only heard from 6 places. Two were only offering 60% of what I made before, two weren't interested, and one decide not to hire anyone at all - and then this one came up. Every place that I did talk to said that they were receiving at least 30 resumes and some were getting as many as 100 - for one stinking position.

I'm still taking a pay cut at this place but I can't stand sitting around the house anymore. It would have been fun if I had a lot of extra money to piss away on vacations and such but I just did not want to spend too much without knowing when I’d get back to work. I could have survived at least a year on my savings alone and even longer with unemployment and the extensions but I sure as hell didn't want to just piss all my savings away partying.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share my good news. I'm really excited to be part of the workforce again. Thanks for listening - well, reading .

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Woot - I'm Employed Again

Congratulations , I am happy for you .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

You must of hit the win button =D

(Greene County)

Congratulations!
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin. - Samuel Adams

(Luzerne County)

Good for you. Now Obama can brag that he helped another unemployed person gain employment. "Rolleyes"

(Luzerne County)

Congrats. I know guy. I called him a few weeks ago. I told him that there was an opening where I work. Its right up his alley.

How much an hour he ask. I give him an idea.

He comes back with. Well geez I don't know. I can still collect. What If I don't like this place.

My response: Hey I told you about it. Bye.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Northampton County)

Thank goodness. Being out of work SUCKs and plays games with your mind if it's for long.

60 resumes and 6 months? Child's play. In the mid-90s I was out of work for over a year and sent out hundreds and hundreds of resumes. It was really a depressing situation.

Congrats!!!!!!

glad to hear that. i also just went back to work. its ruff not working. thats what this country needs more of us working. its rediculose how many people have been layedoff or just plain ole cant get or find a job.

(Bucks County)

Great, I'm out since March 20th and I've had two interviews though both are now turning into possibilities; it is all still up in the air...things are not good out there!

It is so bad that I broke down and bought a FISHING license after spring gobbler closed...

I'd like one of these two jobs to happen soon; otherwise I know one will come thru around the start of deer hunting!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast