Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Shooting Ranges?

I live in Allegheny County and am looking for a place where I can shoot either pistol or a rifle. I am aware of some private clubs in my area but at this time, I don't really have the money to put into a club. As of late when I wanted to go shoot it was either at an indoor range in Latrobe or down at a friends place in Fayette County, but given the fact that both places are about a 45-55 min drive from my home. I am looking for something a little closer and not too expensive. I would like to find a place where I could be allowed to shoot at ballistics gel, state game lands do not allow the shooting at ballistics gel found that out earlier today. I don't know if that is at all an option but it is something I would like to try to do locally. Any help would be great.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Shooting Ranges?

You are out of luck. All the ranges that I am familiar with only allow paper targets, or their existing steel targets. No bottles, no cans or any other piece of junk that would need cleaned up. I shoot at several ranges in the Pittsburgh area and the best way to get banned from a range is not following their rules. I belong to one club where you can't even shoot at a 200 yard or 300 yard range unless you are Supervised. Your best bet is to join a club, get involved with the Club Officers. You may get cooperation and find a way to shoot into that gel. Whatever your reason is? Don't do anything illegal?

I could see shooting into gel - for your own information. Even though you may be able to find test results from others - there's nothing like doing your own test with your own gun and ammo.

Good luck finding a range.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Allegheny County)

The whole purpose behind the gel is to see the damage that my ammunition actually does into a target. Paper targets are one thing, bottles cans, pumpkins even display some sort of damage but the thought of the ballistics gel was a little more conclusive. Thanks for the comments.