Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Good deed b/c of Soberbyker

So, I am cruising down the Parkway West in Pittsburgh toward the Fort Pitt tunnell and I see 5 bikes pulled over, on the side of the road up ahead. At first I think "oh, someone broke down and they have help." But my impulse was to stop since Soberbyker popped into my head. He is not from here, but I always imagine bikers being the kind of guy he is...and it would be an honor to help him.

So I pull my vehicle (an expedition) just in front of them and walk up. Keep in mind, I am dressed in khaki shorts, sandels, and a t-shirt that said "I'm always right." I asked if there was anytihng I could do to help? I noticed all of them wore vests that said "War Dogs" on their backs, so I knew it was an MC club. Well, the one guys battery was completely dead which was causing his bike to backfire and not run well at all. So, they had all pulled over. Here is how the night went:

1. They tried to charge the battery from bike to bike, no luck
    2. Together, we all talked about where we might be able to find a battery at 7:00 pm on a Sunday. We had several options.
    3. One of the riders had to pee real bad, she didn't have the option of "going" between my truck doors. I offered to fold the seats down in my truck and give her a bag to go, but her and her boyfriend on another bike took off to go pee.
    4. Me and the broken down rider jumped in my truck, while the others stayed with the bike (a sweeee '99 Softail I think). We went all over Carnagie and Greentree. We found an Advanced Auto Parts that although it was closed for almost an hour when we got there, they let him in to buy the battery with cash (plus a tip) and they will ring it in the morning.
    5. I took him back to his bike on the parkway.
    6. He and another War Dog put the battery in, glad I had my mega lumen flashlight with me.
    7. The other War Dogs that left earlier, came back with Wendys in a bag
    8. We all had a burger, and said our good byes.

9. The guy I had with me in my truck, the bike owner tried to give me money, and there was no way in hell I was taking it. I got as much out of the night as he did. I was honored to help out, and glad I stopped. I'm sure it will be paid back in some form in my life. Turns out, his name is "Rob" and he owns a bunch of Pizza/Resturants around the West Side of Pittsburgh called Gianni's. A real Italian Pizzaria place. What a great guy, an entrepreneur, capitalist, and a War Dog. The War Dogs I met tonight were all really great, and I would invite them over for xmas dinner any time.

I used to be kind of scared of bikers, but after meeting soberbyker here in Pittsburgh a while back at a PFOA shoot, he surely sets a good example. If it weren't for him, I might have still been "ignorant" as to who and what many (not all) bikers are about.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Good deed b/c of Soberbyker

POS REP , good man . What goes around comes around .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Mifflin County)

+Rep for the good deed. I'm sure plenty of other people just drove on by, both before you stopped and while you were taking the guy to find a battery.

I try and keep in mind "next time it could be me" on the side of the road and try and stop to help anytime I can.

Quote Originally Posted by st.marys View Post
    So, I am cruising down the Parkway West in Pittsburgh toward the Fort Pitt tunnell and I see 5 bikes pulled over, on the side of the road up ahead. At first I think "oh, someone broke down and they have help." But my impulse was to stop since Soberbyker popped into my head. He is not from here, but I always imagine bikers being the kind of guy he is...and it would be an honor to help him.

So I pull my vehicle (an expedition) just in front of them and walk up. Keep in mind, I am dressed in khaki shorts, sandels, and a t-shirt that said "I'm always right." I asked if there was anytihng I could do to help? I noticed all of them wore vests that said "War Dogs" on their backs, so I knew it was an MC club. Well, the one guys battery was completely dead which was causing his bike to backfire and not run well at all. So, they had all pulled over. Here is how the night went:

1. They tried to charge the battery from bike to bike, no luck
    2. Together, we all talked about where we might be able to find a battery at 7:00 pm on a Sunday. We had several options.
    3. One of the riders had to pee real bad, she didn't have the option of "going" between my truck doors. I offered to fold the seats down in my truck and give her a bag to go, but her and her boyfriend on another bike took off to go pee.
    4. Me and the broken down rider jumped in my truck, while the others stayed with the bike (a sweeee '99 Softail I think). We went all over Carnagie and Greentree. We found an Advanced Auto Parts that although it was closed for almost an hour when we got there, they let him in to buy the battery with cash (plus a tip) and they will ring it in the morning.
    5. I took him back to his bike on the parkway.
    6. He and another War Dog put the battery in, glad I had my mega lumen flashlight with me.
    7. The other War Dogs that left earlier, came back with Wendys in a bag
    8. We all had a burger, and said our good byes.

9. The guy I had with me in my truck, the bike owner tried to give me money, and there was no way in hell I was taking it. I got as much out of the night as he did. I was honored to help out, and glad I stopped. I'm sure it will be paid back in some form in my life. Turns out, his name is "Rob" and he owns a bunch of Pizza/Resturants around the West Side of Pittsburgh called Gianni's. A real Italian Pizzaria place. What a great guy, an entrepreneur, capitalist, and a War Dog. The War Dogs I met tonight were all really great, and I would invite them over for xmas dinner any time.

I used to be kind of scared of bikers, but after meeting soberbyker here in Pittsburgh a while back at a PFOA shoot, he surely sets a good example. If it weren't for him, I might have still been "ignorant" as to who and what many (not all) bikers are about.
    + 342 pts.

(Cambria County)

That damn Soberbyker, I knew eventually his influence around here would lead to normal people associating with bikers...which is one of the reasons why we love him. Good on you for thinking to stop, much rep inbound to you mano.

The "War Dogs", if I recall correctly, are a military service oriented club (Marines? or not branch specific?), and as with most motorcycle clubs these days, they're mostly made up of folks like you and I, except they ride bikes.

If anyone sees VMV or Second Brigade colors broke down, please be sure to stop and help, It will be a friend of mine, or maybe my brother.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    +Rep for the good deed. I'm sure plenty of other people just drove on by, both before you stopped and while you were taking the guy to find a battery.

I try and keep in mind "next time it could be me" on the side of the road and try and stop to help anytime I can.
    Yea, the one guy that has a fake leg (yes, he has a partial fake leg from a bike accident years ago made a comment about all the people including bikers that just drove by. When me and "Rob" the WarDog guy I was helping were driving around looking for battery, he said "Thanks so much for stopping" I said "No problem, America isn't dead yet...." and that sparked a whole conversation on the dying of our country. Ethics and Character, and capitalism are the backbone of this country. I'm glad I ran into someone that shared my views.

(Allegheny County)

War Dogs drove their bikes to lead a march to one of the Pittsburgh Tea Parties.

(Delaware County)

awsome post and awsome deed. Glad the stereotype of bikers did not effect you,and you helped out a fellow american and biker.

(Susquehanna County)

+1 to you my friend, no longer in an MC, but i still ride in a social club, and i thank you for not typecasting, and lending a hand, karma will get ya back later i'm sure

mikey0086

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast