(Northumberland County)

Default Editorial in Local Paper...

Posted under fair use.

http://www.newsitem.com/opinion/lett..._gun_lobbyists

"It's time to stop pandering to gun lobbyists
    Published: August 8, 2009

Font size: [A] [A] [A]
    e-mail this e-mail this share this share this

When lovelorn loser George Sodini took out his anger on an aerobics class near Pittsburgh this week, he sprayed the room with bullets from a high-volume ammunition clip that was banned nationwide until 2004.

Sodoni used two 9 mm handguns to kill three women and wound nine others. Then he used a .45 caliber handgun to kill himself.

Investigators at the scene later found two 30-round clips for the 9 mm guns.

The assault weapons ban that was passed by Congress in 1994, but allowed to lapse in 2004, precluded the use of such high-volume clips precisely in order to prevent the type of rampage carried out by Sodoni.

A ban might not have precluded Sodoni from murder. But it could well have reduced the damage.

The incident also demonstrated the U.S. Senate's sound judgment recently in rejecting the Thune amendment, which would have required all states with concealed weapon permit laws to honor such a permit issued by any state.

Sodini had a Pennsylvania concealed weapon permit. If the Thune amendment had passed, he would have been able to carry concealed weapons in states that have tougher requirements to obtain such a permit, such as New York.

It is entirely possible to craft a legal framework that honors the right to bear arms while sensibly protecting public safety. The assault weapons ban is one element. Another is a movement gaining traction across Pennsylvania.

Erie recently became the ninth city in the state to require owners to report to police the loss or theft of firearms. The trend accelerated after court decisions allowed the policy in Pittsburgh.

The objective of such laws is to deter the illegal sale of firearms to criminals. When police trace weapons used in crimes to their original owners, they often are told that the gun had been lost or stolen. Requiring reports would establish records and make it a crime to merely possess such an ill-gotten deadly weapon.

Scranton Mayor Chris Doherty was noticeably absent when 109 Pennsylvania mayors joined forces to work against the Thune Amendment. Scranton also has not moved to require reports of stolen or lost guns. Given several recent incidents of gun-related violence in the city, the mayor should get on board.

At the state and federal levels, it's time for politicians stop pandering to the gun lobby and recognize that public safety and gun ownership need not be mutually exclusive concepts."

I was too fired up yesterday to write my letter to the "editor" of this paper. I understand this is an opinion, but at least do SOME homework Clip v. Magazine, the fact that the FBI did studies and found that the "assault weapon" ban did NOTHING to stop or slow crimes with firearms....
    I am going to write a letter in response after my practical pistol shoot this morning at Keystone Fish and Game!!!!
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Editorial in Local Paper...

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    At the state and federal levels, it's time for politicians stop pandering to the gun lobby and recognize that public safety and gun ownership need not be mutually exclusive concepts."
    It really pisses me off when people think that there is some group of high dollar lobbyists in D.C. trying to destroy this country with guns.

Not one of these ignorant mother fu**ers, and even some people on here, realize that the so called "gun lobby" is us. It is gun owners across this country.

Gun companies don't make billions every year to throw at professional lobbyists. Hell they hardly make a profit.

Well this gun lobbyist is going to continue to annoy and pester his elected officials until he bends to the will of my cause.

(Lackawanna County)

Erie recently became the ninth city in the state to require owners to report to police the loss or theft of firearms. The trend accelerated after court decisions allowed the policy in Pittsburgh.

that's not law everywhere? that seems like common sense law that should be in place....unless i'm totally missing something.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post

that's not law everywhere? that seems like common sense law that should be in place....unless i'm totally missing something.
    Common sense just ain't so common anymore.

(Chester County)

The main issue isn't the gun or the ammunition or the magazine. The issue is that the guy was set on murder and he did it. Nothing would have stopped this nut from killing people. He wanted to and he did it. The same argument could be made for murder - it has been illegal for a long time, yet this guy STILL did it. We should make stricter murder laws...

Mickey, it'd be like requiring rape victims to report their incident... or else they are charged with a crime. It only victimizes the victims of crime. Plus, do you really think a straw purchaser will report a gun as "lost or stolen" ? If anything, they can report it as "lost" and have their name cleared after the weapon is recovered in the hands of a criminal...

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post

The problem with this law is it gives a time limit. And it has consequences. So if you as a lawful gun owner gets a gun stolen out of your gun rack or wherever and don't notice and report it there is a possibility you could be charged with a violation of the law. It's punishing the victim. Perhaps some people don't check every day to see if something is missing. Should that make them a criminal?
    Besides you could just deny knowledge of it. How exactly is this going to help?law abiding gun owners are of course going to report it. IF they notice. Criminals who are making straw purchases will deny knowing.
    Which if you are wondering straw purchases are already illegal.
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(Montgomery County)

I got back late last night (Sunday) from a 14 day vacation. I have not yet checked my guns but after my morning shower and I get dressed I will.

If they were stolen the first or second day I was gone and used in a crime where the thief was caught I would have come home to a waiting arrest.

And I would lose my rights forever where the thief would just get a slap on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by unclesam099 View Post
    Mickey, it'd be like requiring rape victims to report their incident... or else they are charged with a crime. It only victimizes the victims of crime. Plus, do you really think a straw purchaser will report a gun as "lost or stolen" ? If anything, they can report it as "lost" and have their name cleared after the weapon is recovered in the hands of a criminal...
    Worse than that! Remember that the Supreme Court ruled that the 5th Amendment protects a felon from registration requirements because that would be self incrimination? IANAL, but I can imagine that the same would apply to a straw purchaser.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

I left a comment. Lets see if it gets published.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    Sodini had a Pennsylvania concealed weapon permit. If the Thune amendment had passed, he would have been able to carry concealed weapons in states that have tougher requirements to obtain such a permit, such as New York.
    He was able to carry concealed in New York. Everyone is able to carry concealed whereever they want unless they get caught doing it illegally. If he didn't have a LTCF, then the exact same thing would have happened. The article makes it sound like if it's illegal, then it's impossible. As if when he went to put the guns in the bag, an unseen force field would have prevented him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast