Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Can you carry AOW and class 3 on a LTCF?

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaState View Post
    So vehicle carry is where it is not lawful to have a regular rifle or shot gun? What exactly does a LTCF cover for vehicle carry?
    A LTCF covers handguns, SBS's, SBR's and nearly all AOW's in vehicles, concealed, and openly/concealed in a City of the First Class(Philly). You do NOT need a LTCF to carry an UNLOADED rifle or shotgun in a vehicle unless you are in philly. At no time may you have a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle - ever.

You do NOT need a license if you carry a rifle/shotgun openly or concealed on foot, except in Philly or during an emergency.

(Northampton County)

So vehicle carry is where it is not lawful to have a regular rifle or shot gun? What exactly does a LTCF cover for vehicle carry?
    Something smaller than a regular rifle or shotgun loaded Somebody will chime in with the UFA reference, sorry I don't have it at hand. Give it 16 hours. Or perform a search on the forum about rifle/SBR/SBS carry.

(Montgomery County)

doesn't anybody read the DAMN THREAD they are posting in?

I already posted above what is covered under your LTCF for carry... wither on you, or loaded in the car.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Luzerne County)

It hinges upon the 18 Pa.C.S. § 6102 (Definitions) definition of “firearm”.
    18 Pa.C.S. § 6102: Definitions

Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in this subchapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:
    “Firearm.” Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    Under that definition, short barreled rifles and short barreled shotguns (and “any other weapon” smoothbore pistols) are considered § 6102 “firearms”. 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106 (Firearms not to be carried without a license) makes it legal to carry any “firearm”, loaded or unloaded, in a vehicle as long as you possess a license to carry a firearm (or a carry license from any other state). 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106.1 (Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms) is what stipulates that any weapon other than a § 6102 “firearm” (i.e., long barreled rifles and long barreled shotguns) must be unloaded while carried in a vehicle.

(Northampton County)

I was under the impression that a rifle or shotgun could only be carried to and from the place it was being used?

(Northampton County)

I was under the impression that a rifle or shotgun could only be carried to and from the place it was being used?
    Nope. You can carry loaded long guns on foot or unloaded in your car anywhere (almost, remember Philly/Fed land/court/schools/other restrictions including game commission). I think you should read the stickies. I thought you had a specific question but now it sounds like you're not sure of anything. That's OK, but most of the answers are in the stickies.
    Last edited by ungawa; August 8th, 2009 at 09:13 PM.

Some of this has been covered, some hasn't:

"Class III" is a type of FFL, not a type of weapon. "NFA firearms" are also called "Title II" firearms.

Outside of Philadelphia, these are the rules:

You can carry an unloaded long gun in your car if you can legally own it.

You can't carry loaded long guns in your vehicle with or without an LTCF.

You can carry "firearms" (handguns, short barreled rifles & short barreled shotguns that are registered under the NFA), loaded or unloaded, openly without an LTCF. You can also carry long guns openly.

You can carry long guns concealed without an LTCF, but I don't recommend it.

With an LTCF, you can carry firearms concealed, or in a vehicle.

With an LTCF, you can carry registered Title II firearms concealed or in a vehicle, whether they meet the PA definition of "firearm" or not. An M-16 rifle would not, a MAC-10 would.

My advice? You shouldn't carry & use Title II firearms in self-defense. If hordes of actual zombies attack, then fine, hose them down with a Minigun. But in day-to-day reality, your use of deadly force will be second-guessed by 12 sheep who are afraid of ALL guns. Your motives will be examined. When you say that you would have fled if possible, that the last thing you ever wanted was an armed confrontation, but you had an exotic 9-pound weapon harnessed under your left arm and 64 spare rounds on the right....they may be skeptical.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Northampton County)

Would the 14.5 inch barreled M4 meet the deffinition of firearm to be carried since a regular M16 does not?
    Last edited by FloridaState; August 8th, 2009 at 09:42 PM.

Would the 14.5 inch barreled M4 meet the deffinition of firearm to be carried since a regular M16 does not?

If you have an LTCF, you can carry anything openly or concealed on your person. With or without an LTCF, you can never carry any long gun loaded in a vehicle.

An M-16 with a 14" barrel could be carried loaded in a vehicle with a valid LTCF, but God help you if you need to use it. A 16" or 20" barreled M-16 may not be carried loaded in a vehicle.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If you have an LTCF, you can carry anything openly or concealed on your person. With or without an LTCF, you can never carry any long gun loaded in a vehicle.

An M-16 with a 14" barrel could be carried loaded in a vehicle with a valid LTCF, but God help you if you need to use it. A 16" or 20" barreled M-16 may not be carried loaded in a vehicle.

Good thing my Colt 6933 is 11.5in not 14.5in. Now to save some more pennies for the FA lower.

In all seriousness, I asked this question before, and what Gunlawyer0001 says is correct. As a result of my research, I bought the 11.5in AR to keep in the car (in addition to a hand gun).
    The above is not legal advice and is for discussion purposes only. Do not rely on anything posted. If you have a legal question, retain a lawyer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast