Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Alternate AK rear sights.

Hey everyone.

I'm looking into getting my self a better set of rear sights for my ak.
    I came across two different models in particular that caught my attention.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=893149
    and
    http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm

I own the tech sights for my SKS and I love them. They are rock steady and greatly improve the sights both in practicality and in radius. (Even though rear peep is a little big, O well.)
    The tech sight for the AK is apparently mounted on the rear of the receiver behind the dust cover, and hold in place the recoil spring guide rod. I am worried that the recoil from rapid firing may cause elevation issues. If someone with more knowledge than me finds this a needless worry, please let me know.

Now, the Krebs sight I have no knowledge of, although I like the way it is attached to the rifle. And considering it has a rail on it, it seems even more practical(albeit expensive).

O well, just looking out for any potential improvement to my firearms. Let me know what you guys think of these two.

O btw, I do not want a peep sight that goes in place of the rear notch sight (ie Mojo etc.), I already have one, so no need to recommend one.

Thanks in advance.

Armed, I am free.
    ZRT Sector 7 (Recon)
    A 3 percenter

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Alternate AK rear sights.

I've never used any alternate sights on an AK, however, I know that Shawn.L has one on his AK (that is for sell) and said that it significantly improves the sight picture. I just forget which one he has though.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Delaware County)

There's a peep sight that replaces the standard AK rear, called the Mojo. I don't recall who makes it, but I'm sure that a search for "Mojo AK sight," will probably find it.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    There's a peep sight that replaces the standard AK rear, called the Mojo. I don't recall who makes it, but I'm sure that a search for "Mojo AK sight," will probably find it.
    Reread second to last line of the OP please.

Armed, I am free.
    ZRT Sector 7 (Recon)
    A 3 percenter

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rauswaffen View Post
    Reread second to last line of the OP please.
    Yeah, sorry, you beat me to the edit.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Yeah, sorry, you beat me to the edit.
    Ehhh, don't sweat it.

Armed, I am free.
    ZRT Sector 7 (Recon)
    A 3 percenter

(Wayne County)

The tech-sight looks to be a replacement for the end of the recoil guide rod. Did you check out the FAQ link on their site? It looks like they solve the sideways fitment with a screw but don't really address the up and down wobble of the "T" slot fitment. I just tried to move this part on my rifle with it under the spring's tension and without. It moved side to side for sure and ever slightly up and down. Try moving it on your rifle and see what you get. The krebs sight looks like a real decent design and probably worth the cost(ouch). I had the idea of using one of those flip up tang sights that were used on old sharps or winchesters(think "quigly down under") and mounting it to the stock's tang on the receiver similar to the way kreb's does it. Then just cut some of the stock out so it could lay down flat for storage or travel. I have also thought of putting a spacer/riser block on the stock/receiver tang and then attaching an ar sight. It would look awful as hell though.

I've looked into these and am even going to mount a scope on one of my fixed stock AKs but I will say I have never had much of a problem with the standard sites. We were beating the crap out of that rock at the shoot at 102 yards. Figure above that, unless you have some amazing eyesight, you are going to want a scope.

Funny though, was talking to my sister this week, she is on the Navy shooting team and she told me the SHORTEST distance they shoot is 200 yards, with iron sights Guess my little sister is a better shot that me

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I've never used any alternate sights on an AK, however, I know that Shawn.L has one on his AK (that is for sell) and said that it significantly improves the sight picture. I just forget which one he has though.
    yep.
    love it.
    It is a Williams rear sight. The dustcover is steady, but not rock solid. I wouldnt be using it for CMP, but hitting an 8 inch gong at 100 yards is fairly easy from kneeling/sitting position.

Its def easier to use for someone who is used to peep sights. I find that leaf stuff akward, and the sight radius is short.

I find with a rear aperature you just need to get used to getting your cheekweld and seeing the front sight. No need to even think about the rear. I get my nose right up to the receiver.
    With the leaf and post I have to set that post in the leaf. Just not as quick, easy, or accurate FOR ME.

(Montgomery County)

this is an interesting alternative
    http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/la...k-irondot.html

fairly new and i dont have much info on it

personally, i cant see squat so use aimpoints on my AK's. they work very well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast