Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 223 die setup HELP

I got my 223 dies got the Lee deluxe die set. Not sure what goes where. I got the 3 die set. one is a full length sizer die another is a collet neck sizer and i have a dead length bullet seating die. Not sure what should go where on my lee load master. I also got the lee factory crimp die and a lee decapping die i'm gonna return cuz it sucks and i really don't think i need it cuz the one i got in the kit works fine. I was told by a buddy to buy it cuz i would need but i think he lied 2 me. First i'm not sure as the full length sizer die and the collet neck sizer die both have decapper pins so what should go in the first stage?

(Tioga County)

Default Re: 223 die setup HELP

You use either the Full length sizing die OR the collet die. not both. that one goes in station 1.

Station 2 is Where you put the new primer in. Usually no die.

Station 3 is usually where you drop the powder. I use a Universal Charging die

Station 4 is the bullet seating station. you use the seating die.

Station 5 is crimp ( optional)

Add:

If you use the Full length sizing die you MUST Use Case Lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Normlizer View Post
    I got my 223 dies got the Lee deluxe die set. Not sure what goes where. I got the 3 die set. one is a full length sizer die another is a collet neck sizer and i have a dead length bullet seating die. Not sure what should go where on my lee load master. I also got the lee factory crimp die and a lee decapping die i'm gonna return cuz it sucks and i really don't think i need it cuz the one i got in the kit works fine. I was told by a buddy to buy it cuz i would need but i think he lied 2 me. First i'm not sure as the full length sizer die and the collet neck sizer die both have decapper pins so what should go in the first stage?
    Last edited by rwilson452; August 7th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Chester County)

i have the lee neck collet sizer and a set of rcbs full length dies in .308 and .223. Since i only have one rifle in .223 and 1 in .308 i use the full length after the first time i fire a piece of brass. then i check the case length, it almost always needs to be trimmed. from then on out i can usally use the neck sizing die when i reload, its alot faster. However, i usally only keep brass for about 5 reload cycles, i usally loose it before then any way. full length = case lube. mandatory.

(Chester County)

the decapping die could be useful if you decap then tumble then size. thats up to you. the crimp die is very useful as that it forms a crimp around the mouth of the case to the bullet. this permits pressure to build slightly and also tends to lend to more uniform loads. but.... make sure you start at the bottom of the loading scale and work up from there. crimping can change the presssure and muzzle velocities. i would recommend getting a chronogragh. then you are sure. sounds like you have the full lee set up. through the powder measure in the trash. it meters like a shovel and is pretty inaccurate. or else measure each charge. i have had good luck with reloader 15 and bench mark powders.

(Allegheny County)

You can neck size only if it's being used in a bolt gun. You need to full length resize for semi's. You also don't typically need to run 223 through a crimp die. The pressure from the case wall will hold the bullet sufficiently (most of the time).
    "Giving up freedom for security is beginning to look naïve".

(Northampton County)

I use the RCBS dies and got the Lee factory crimp die. I feel better knowing that the bullet is good and snug and won't shift on me.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

Thanks for all the help. This ammo will be used in 2 ar15. Ok so this is how i set it up now 1 is full length sizer die 2 is collet neck sizer without the decapper pin 3 is the powder die i still need 2 get and 4 is the dead length bullet seating die and 5 is the factory crimp die. Does that sound ok?

OPPS double post

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for all the help. This ammo will be used in 2 ar15. Ok so this is how i set it up now 1 is full length sizer die 2 is collet neck sizer without the decapper pin 3 is the powder die i still need 2 get and 4 is the dead length bullet seating die and 5 is the factory crimp die. Does that sound ok?
    Sounds good BUT....

You can ditch the the collet sizer since you already full length sized the brass.

Because this will be used in an AR only you could probably give away/sell/trash the collet neck sizer.

Keep it just in case you ever get a bolt .223.

(Tioga County)

You can use the Collet die to center the case for alignment in the priming process. However, if you use it to size the case the mouth will be too small to seat the bullet. Either leave it out or only put it in so that you don't actuate the collet. Without the mandrel in the die it will close the mouth too far.

USNRET '61-'81

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast