Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoops....

(Allegheny County)

Default Whoops....

A few years ago, My buddies and I was driving back from Gettysburg. We all have carry permits and that day I was carrying my Colt Commander in a Belt Holster. We all all trained as EMTS as well.
    Well, we were stuck in traffic when we saw a Motorcylist get broadside by some old lady in the turning lane. Being good EMTs, we jumped out and started rendering aid to the poor soul. I was stabilizing his head when I heard a State Policeman wask me if I needed anything, I told him I was a EMT and get a ambulance here ASAP. Then another trooper pulled up and a local cop.
    After about 20 minutes, the EMS transported the guy out. As I was walking back to the truck, I felt this cool breeze on my side and when I looked down, there was my 45 in the broad daylight for everyone{including the trooper and the local PD to see}. I suspect the gun was in plain sight for everyone to see.The funny thing was that no one, even the state trooper said anything or asked any questions.
    I was a bit worried when we drove past the troopers, who waved and said "thanks for stopping"

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Whoops....

I'd say after potentially saving someone's life, even a thick LEO would realize you're one of the good guys: even wearing a gun!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    I'd say after potentially saving someone's life, even a thick LEO would realize you're one of the good guys: even wearing a gun!
    He may even know something about the law too.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by tes151 View Post
    He may even know something about the law too.
    That's just crazy talk.

(York County)

Good story!
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Allegheny County)

You stopped at an accident and you were EMT's? Better be careful about that because the laws regarding any malpractice, A non-emt will suffer no recourse but certified will, and since you were not on the "clock" your company insurance will probably not cover...

Sucks we live in that kind of world, but its true.

(Allegheny County)

Theres the rub: I had a "Duty to Act" which states I have to help or I could be sued for failure to act.
    As long as I acted within the scope of my skills, I didnt really have to much to worry about. But it was always in the backs of everyone mind I knew about the possiblites of being sued. But if you see someone in trouble, sometimes you have to throw caution in the wind and pray to God that nothing happens.
    With everyone having a lawyer in thier pocket waiting for a chance to ride the gravy train, it does take the feeling of helping away.

thanks for being one of the good guys out there and for the cop mabe he just wasnt a jackass like the majority of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecollarman View Post
    A few years ago, My buddies and I was driving back from Gettysburg. We all have carry permits and that day I was carrying my Colt Commander in a Belt Holster. We all all trained as EMTS as well.
    Well, we were stuck in traffic when we saw a Motorcylist get broadside by some old lady in the turning lane. Being good EMTs, we jumped out and started rendering aid to the poor soul. I was stabilizing his head when I heard a State Policeman wask me if I needed anything, I told him I was a EMT and get a ambulance here ASAP. Then another trooper pulled up and a local cop.
    After about 20 minutes, the EMS transported the guy out. As I was walking back to the truck, I felt this cool breeze on my side and when I looked down, there was my 45 in the broad daylight for everyone{including the trooper and the local PD to see}. I suspect the gun was in plain sight for everyone to see.The funny thing was that no one, even the state trooper said anything or asked any questions.
    I was a bit worried when we drove past the troopers, who waved and said "thanks for stopping"
    Welcome to the friendly section of the state!!!!

(Carbon County)

Good job on helping out,

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecollarman View Post
    Theres the rub: I had a "Duty to Act" which states I have to help or I could be sued for failure to act.
    As long as I acted within the scope of my skills, I didnt really have to much to worry about. But it was always in the backs of everyone mind I knew about the possiblites of being sued. But if you see someone in trouble, sometimes you have to throw caution in the wind and pray to God that nothing happens.
    With everyone having a lawyer in thier pocket waiting for a chance to ride the gravy train, it does take the feeling of helping away.
    You could also lose your cert too. I am an EMT also and have stopped plenty to lend a hand on an accident scene too. I was heading south on 100 down below Allentown when my wife and I came upon a rolleover, I stopped, got out and talked to the guys g/f first, she was already out and said she was fine but was worried about her b/f still in the car. I crawled in through the passenger window, he was hanging upside down by his seat belt complaining of neck pain so I stabilized his neck and held him still while talking to him to calm him down. I remember my pistol, (IWB in the small of my back was showing when the police and other rescue personnel showed up. No issue with the police, but the Medic that crawled in next to me to assess the pt looked at me funny, asked if I was an EMT and said something about me being a combat medic (jokingly) and smiled. Other than that no issue, police thanked me for helping out.
    If zombies start chasing us, I'm going to trip you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast