Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default question about aiming.

When you aim, do you do it with both eyes open or one eye closed?

I aim with one eye open (my right eye). I've tried doing it with both eyes open its very uncomfortable.

Which is the proper way?

Default Re: question about aiming.

With many things in life it's personal preference. Most instructors will advise you to use both eyes open if you can, but some people cannot get used to using both eyes. I am left eye dominate, but I am right handed. When I shoot pistols, I keep both eyes open and I tend to tilt my head so the left eye is the one I'm using the most.

It takes some practice, but after you shoot like that for a while...your eyes become adjusted. You may also want to try using an eye patch that you can buy at any pharmacy. You will get get used to shooting with both eyes open.

Keep in mind that if you close one eye and you are shooting for long periods of time that you will have eye fatigue. Try shooting with both eyes open and let us know how it's working out for you.

(Lancaster County)

Either way works, but instructors generally recommend two eyes. If you want to try it, maybe this will help;

Take a piece of tape about the size of a nickel. Use Magic Tape or something that is easily removable. If you are right-eye dominant. Place the tape on the left lens of your glasses at a place directly in line with your pupil and the target.

Doing that, you should be able to comfortably keep both eyes open and focus on the sights and target.

BTW, this is an old trick used by shotgunners who need maximum peripheral vision to pick up the target quickly.

FWIW, I still shoot with one eye -- tough to teach old dogs new tricks.

(Lycoming County)

I use both eyes... sort of. I squint with the left eye as I find this makes target aquistition a little faster for me ( Hey, it works for Clint Eastwood). On follow-up shots, I keep both open equally.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Delaware County)

Close up things are a blur for me, I use reading glasses, far away crystal clear, I tried using my reading glasses but then I can't see the target at all so I shoot with the right eye open and the left practically closed, but I focus more on the guns sights than the target, which is a blur in the background. It works for me, at 21 feet I get cup sized groups within an inch or two of target center, good enough to take a bad guy down, but not for competition.

depends on the type of gun, handguns one eye, rifle scope one eye, red dot/reflex scopes 2 eyes, assult rifle w/ iron sights 2 eyes.. i've right handed but left eye dominiant, its all about your feel theres not a right or wrong way i dont think everyones vision is very different

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Close up things are a blur for me, I use reading glasses, far away crystal clear, I tried using my reading glasses but then I can't see the target at all so I shoot with the right eye open and the left practically closed, but I focus more on the guns sights than the target, which is a blur in the background. It works for me, at 21 feet I get cup sized groups within an inch or two of target center, good enough to take a bad guy down, but not for competition.
    Yep...tough getting old, isn't it.
    Wait until you try shooting with bifocal glases.
    I do the same as soberbyker...
    Last edited by RoyJackson; June 10th, 2007 at 07:40 PM.

(Delaware County)

SOBERBYKER..I have the same problem. I need reading glasses to see the sights properly and that puts the target out of focus. I know it should be a blur but I mean it's REALLY out of focus. At 75 feet, I can barely see the center. A tip my brother gave me is to quarter the target in your 'minds eye' and shoot at what you percieve to be the center. It works for me.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    SOBERBYKER..I have the same problem. I need reading glasses to see the sights properly and that puts the target out of focus. I know it should be a blur but I mean it's REALLY out of focus. At 75 feet, I can barely see the center. A tip my brother gave me is to quarter the target in your 'minds eye' and shoot at what you percieve to be the center. It works for me.
    Subconsciously I've been doing the minds eye thing you mention. When I go to the range to practice I'm great for the first 4 or 5 clips, then I find myself needing to close my right eye for a second or two to refocus on the sights every other few shots. It's a pain but each time I go I shoot at least 100 rounds so I am getting better at it. All in all though, my best shots are always the first 5 or 6 clips, one handed, then I need two hands and more blinking. Good enough for self defense. If I could afford it, ($) I'd shoot at least 100 every day just to build up my natural abilities so that shooting was instinctual where weak eyes and tiring hands didn't affect my placement. Ah yes, in a perfect world .....

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Yep...tough getting old, isn't it.
    Wait until you try shooting with bifocal glases.
    I hear ya Roy, I hope It'll be awhile before I know that first hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast