Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Concealed carry permit - non resident

I am presently a non-resident who hunts every year in PA. I have been thinking about applying for a CC permit as a non-resident, but noticed on your listing that the county I hunt in, Tioga, does not issue CC permits to non-residents. I would like to carry my pistol with me during hunting season, as there are a lot of Bobcats, snakes in the area. Can anyone provide some insight on how I could obtain a CC permit, perhaps in another county? The other complication here may be that I am now a resident in the Communist State of NJ and PA may not allow this permit on that basis. Anyone know?

Thanks

Default Re: Concealed carry permit - non resident

you have to have a permit from your home state before PA will give you one

(Allegheny County)

Get a utah or florida permit you won't be able to get one from PA unless you have one from your state.
    "Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'" -unknown

As mentioned, PA will not give a LTCF to a non-resident if that person is not licensed in their home state (see below).

Your only chance is to get a FL, UT or other state's permit/license that PA recognizes under our reciprocity provisions.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

e) Issuance of license.--

(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

<snip>

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

(Chester County)

I'm not up to speed on Sportsman's Permits, but couldn't the OP get a SP to carry a sidearm while hunting even if he is a non-resident?

An individual who is age 18 or older and is licensed to hunt, trap or fish, or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, may apply for a Sportsman's Firearm Permit by submitting a completed application along with the required fee to the county treasurer's office. The permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any "legal firearm", when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license, or permit relating to hunting dogs. The issuances of a Sportsman’s Firearm Permit allows the individual to carry a firearm if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers, fishing or training dogs, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers, fish, or train dogs during the regular training season, or returning from such places. A Sportsman's Firearm Permit is NOT a License to Carry a firearm concealed.

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/b...BCOB=0&C=70426

PS to OP - killing snakes is illegal in Pa.
    Last edited by tl_3237; August 7th, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
    IANAL

I would only kill a snake if it was poisonous and threatening me.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by aalk View Post
    You can't shoot poisonous snakes in PA 'cept copperheads & (1) timber rattler 'in season' and I think you need a permit. Otherwise timber rattlers are protected and the missuagua rattler is endangered...don't keep the skin for a hatband!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    You can't shoot poisonous snakes in PA 'cept copperheads & (1) timber rattler 'in season' and I think you need a permit. Otherwise timber rattlers are protected and the missuagua rattler is endangered...don't keep the skin for a hatband!
    You cant shoot the timber rattlers or copperheads even with the appropriate permit. Reptiles, fish, and amphibians can not be shot at all. They must be taken by other lawful means.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by aalk View Post
    Still illegal in PA. We have rattlers and copperheads in PA, both will try to get away first. Rarely do either "threaten" a person if they can get away. If you get bit, its most likely due to surprise, by then shooting the snake is rather moot.

That's exactly why I said it would have to be threatening me first. By all accounts that wouldn't happen unless it was cornered, which I would not do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast