Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Lockbox in Car vs Gym-bag

Ok guys, I'm in a dilemma with what to do with my firearm while lifting.

My gym is not in a great area. I see my options as

1, leave it at home, I don't want to do that.

2, leave the gun in a lock-box (fire proof, large, Sentry box) in my trunk while I workout, keep ammo with me

3, take gun into gym in my gym bag, in a small dorm lock-box.

Although I keep an eye on the bag, and don't work out at a big commercial gym, someone could probably swipe it if they were really motivated. Then again, someone could smash the windows of my car, pop the trunk, grab the box as well.

What do you all think?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Lockbox in Car vs Gym-bag

http://masterofconcealment.com/pgrou...-Car+Gun+Safe/

I bought this little safe and bolted it down in my center console. Comes with a cable but it is more secure bolted down. I am in the city a lot and during the summer I can't carry to my clients so I lock it in here. Good price and works well
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Chester County)

Couldn't you screw through the bottom of the lock box into the floor of your car? Short of that it doesn't sound like you have many options...a fanny pack but I wouldn't be caught dead with one of them on...

(Monroe County)

I carry a full size firearm (xdm) and I don't really see the need for having a pocket pistol or subcompact gun in about 95% of situations I can forsee. I can easily conceal my gun with a cover garment or IWB tuckable holster.

In circumstances such as this, I would probably not feel comfortable leaving my gun anywhere except on my person, and I'm sure it would not be well received to have a gun in the gym. That being said this is one of the situations that fit into the 5% where I would go out and buy a pocket pistol or snubnose revolver. Then find a holster that allows a comfortable range of movement and is well concealed. The best thing I can think of is getting a smart carry belly band and you can conceal easily with normal gym shorts.

eta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gmEPDlRDH4
    Last edited by jcabin; August 7th, 2009 at 11:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

Hmm, well I just bought a little dorm lock box with a cable at Bed Bath + Beyond. Unfortunately I feel as though if I really wanted I could wrench the thing open without too much trouble.

May have to invest in a real gun lock box like the one posted. At least it was only 16 bucks.

(York County)

I deal with this exact same issue. I go directly from work to an urban setting gym and while the gym does not have explicit "no firearms" rules in their policy, I can't imagine it would get me any free memberships. But the idea of leaving a loaded weapon alone in my car..well I'm no happier with that than anyone else. So I thought of a compromise. I leave the firearm locked in the glovebox but I take the magazine (and all bullets, nothing "in the pipe") with me into the gym. I figure that if someone would steal my car/firearm they can't use it (easily) without the clip and if someone at the gym somehow sees my clip, well its not a dangerous weapon by itself. Luckily I haven't had to test either theory yet!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post

I bought this little safe and bolted it down in my center console. Comes with a cable but it is more secure bolted down. I am in the city a lot and during the summer I can't carry to my clients so I lock it in here. Good price and works well
    I have this same lockbox (got it at cabelas). I took it and used self tapping screws and screwed it down in my truck. They are not fool proof. I was able to open mine with a flathead screwdriver before i bolted it down. It is useable. I only use it if I absolutely can not carry my gun into where im going (so far never used it) but its there if I need it.
    No longer posting

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post

I have one for each car. They rarely get used.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

I use this with the cable to the seat frame.

Secure-It Handgun Safe
    http://www.casesforguns.com/Secure-I...-Safe-P92.aspx

My invoice for the large which fits a full size 1911
    Description Unit price Qty Amount
    Order #604532
    1 $26.60 USD
    Subtotal $26.60 USD
    Shipping and handling $5.81 USD
    Total $32.41 USD
    Last edited by Exbiker; August 9th, 2009 at 07:52 AM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    I have this same lockbox (got it at cabelas). I took it and used self tapping screws and screwed it down in my truck. They are not fool proof. I was able to open mine with a flathead screwdriver before i bolted it down. It is useable. I only use it if I absolutely can not carry my gun into where im going (so far never used it) but its there if I need it.
    You will never 100% thief proof anything. If you mount or use the cable, put it in an inconspicuous place in the vehicle and lock the car it will make it difficult and time consuming to find it and get in it.
    We all know most thieves are lazy and generally hit the easiest mark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast