Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Looking to a new Ar-15, but need some info to back it up.

Hey guys, I'm a new member here and I'm only 13 years old.

Anyways I've been spending countless months doing school work, and money-paying work. Such as scraping mold off the house, or cleaning up everywhere after the dog, and cleaning the windows. And now i have racked up $1500.

I love firearms (Trust me, I'm not the kid who plays video games and try to act like a Mall Ninja.)

So I have a keen eye on a nice AR, The Ruger SR556. I know it came out only last year, and is still younger than an infant, Plus law enforcement and maybe even the military haven't even picked it up yet because its so young, so they cant back it up for me.

Anyways is anyone here a SR556 owner and could tell me some information about it? I have done all the research I could have.

I was going to get it for christmas, but Ma told me its to expensive for her budget and I have to get it myself . But working myself will make me a better man i suppose.

Thanks, Cam.
    "If the individual can govern himself, all external government is tyranny" - Benjamin Tucker.

(York County)

Default Re: Looking to a new Ar-15, but need some info to back it up.

I don't have one but I have to give you a pat on the back for being willing to work for what you want. It sounds like you are wise beyond your years.

Sid

(Allegheny County)

And your mother is quite wise too for suggesting that you work.

I'd submit that by the time you save up the not-quite-$1.6K to buy one, you will have discovered the desire to save/spend for something far more useful to a young man; a car.

And just like a 5.56 rifle, buying the car is just the start of it - the rest comes in terms of keeping it insured, maintatined, and fed with gas - or ammo in the case of the rifle - so you can actually enjoy it.

A shorter-term goal might be to save up and get one of the far cheaper to buy (and shoot) S&W MP-15/22 rifles out there. A lot of "AR15-ish" bang for the buck while you continue to work/save towards a car.

Also, work you butt off in school to get good grades and try and get a scholarship, or, learn a craft-trade that can't be outsourced over a network to China or India.

They haven't figured out a way to rewire a house or install a hotwater tank over the internet yet.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Delaware County)

You've managed to put away 1,500 at 13? Good job man, that's awesome. Learning to work for what you want is one of those lessons in life that you really can't overestimate.
    Another lesson that's important though, is to plan ahead and save. The Ruger is a nice rifle from everything I've heard. Maybe has a few flaws, but overall well done. I myself have a Stag Model 2 that I like quite a bit, it cost me a little less than half of what a new Ruger would cost, with an optic. The ruger might be a nicer gun, but I'm pretty sure that it's not twice as nice.
    My advice would be this: Don't blow all your money on a gun. A slightly used Stag or a Bushmaster, or an RRA would also be a nice reward for your hard work, and would leave you with quite a bit of money left over. Take that left over money, put it in the bank, and leave it there. You won't regret spending half as much for a gun that's 98% as good, you probably will regret spending all of your money on a toy that you only use 15 times a year.

Edit---
    You might consider an AK too... Not as much spit and polish, but a thoroughly reliable firearm that you'll have a blast shooting, for far less money.
    Last edited by Helter; March 8th, 2010 at 12:35 AM.

(Lawrence County)

Buy a Stag and go shooting.....

You don't make enough money to feed an AR...you're gonna need ammo money...ok, we probably NET the same amount so I'm going from personal experience (and I have 5 of them).

The difference between an $800 shelf gun and a $1500 shelf gun is very little. Now....you can build your own $1200 gun that can shoot better than most $1500 shelf guns.....but that's another post.

At your age.....what about a Stag Model 4?....and finding the closest local CMP club to go compete at? THAT will teach you a lot about marksmanship and riflecraft. Wish I'd have done that!

http://www.odcmp.com/

Lycanwelcomeyoungbuckthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

Here's a very nicely done AR buyer's guide;

Click Here------DC AR15 Buyer's Guide
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

I'm going to have to agree with the rest of the posters.

I am guessing you will be just using this rifle to go blasting at the range
    basically, and for that you can get basically any DI AR and it will suit the bill. You really dont need to go to a piston set up, and the triggers in my experience have been horrible on those rifles.

They can be had for around 700 or so, http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...NA3&groupid=11 That will make for a decent rifle for a starter, it doesnt have a rear sight so you need to figure out your own set up, or get optics with the money you saved. Plus you can also feed it with that extra 700 bucks.

And the more you learn about the AR style rifles the more you will be able to tinker with them, and take that standard Del-Ton rifle and turn it in to a really slick rifle.

Remember ARs are a lot more reliable than you think, and AKs are a lot more accurate than you would think. I have never had a failure in my carbine that was not ammo related (bad primers on a set of hand loaded rounds)

Anyway congrats on saving up so much money are your age, best of luck with any of rifle you decide to purchase!

~Mike

Oh, and deff save for a car, it will make your life much easer to have a car when you turn 16.

(Bucks County)

Hi Cam!

If I were you I would look into a .22 and a nice scope.

Yep, an AR is a boatload of fun but it will cost a small fortune for you to just become proficient at shooting. A .22 on the other hand will only set you back about $20 for a full days shooting and at your age will probably serve you better.

(Schuylkill County)

Like some others have stated, at your age, you may want to save up a bit of money for things like a vehicle. I can realize your love for the AR... but I'll tell you right now, it honestly isn't worth it. It's nothing but plastic and metal. If you would like a new firearm, I would check into some cheaper rifles that you can get for around $200-300. HOWEVER, if you absolutely have your mind set on an AR, I would go with a Stag or Bushmaster. For $800-900 it is your best bang for the buck. Plus, like Lycan said, you will need ammo as well... so just keep that in mind.

Good luck!

Again, like a lot of others were saying, try to save up as much as you can while you're young. Take it from some "old guys" who have been through the ages.
    III%

(Luzerne County)

Cam: You seem to be a very focused young man.
    I agree with the idea that you should not spend all the $ on the gun. You are going to have to feed the thing.
    Question:about use. What are your intentions concerning the AR? How often can you reasonably expect to shoot it? How do you intend to use it? Another poster mentioned blasting at the range.....is that it? Lots of fun.....not very productive beyond that. It is what many AR owners do and enjoy themselves.
    Or do you intend to focus on other types of fun, on marksmanship, learning to shoot the thing from positions, maybe, when you are eligible, enter Service Rifle competition? The competitions allow for Junior shooters - that begins at 14; IIRC there is also a "Sub-junior" program for shooters younger than 14.
    Yeah, a car is nice. The first big purchase most people ever make......but then maybe you are on a different path. (I didn't get my license until I was 19. Didn't own a car 'til I was 21.)
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast