Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Got to the range today...

Went to the Exeter gun range today, I don't think I was half bad for my first time. The range was dark and it wasn't very impressive at all but it was a place for me to get some practice. I shot a taurus pt111(9mm), taurus pt145(.45), taurus 24/7(.45), and S&W Sigma(.40). I shot the .45 the most and it was a lot of fun, the 24/7 must have been an older model bc it failed to chamber the next round a lot for the first 2 clips. My friend I was with said it never does it with better ammo or even jhp so it must be one of the earlier models before they improved the feed ramp on the barrel. I shot one clip of the .40, it's a good gun and shot fine but I liked the .45 better. The 9mm even though it was a short barrel millenium pro would make a good range gun if he would sight it in. Speaking of which the sights weren't that accurate, which in the guns defense my friend said he never sighted them in and that from carrying the 2 pt series that they probably moved. I'm still torn between getting the pt145 and the 24/7 pro and 24/7 pro c. The pro was more comfortable but the pt is easier to conceal(which makes the case for the pro c), I can handle either easily. I like the 24/7 because of the bigger grip and on the newest models they have a decocker safety on them so you can carry "cocked and locked" with one in the chamber without having to worry about an accidental discharge. I can shoot 3 dot or heine but I found I was actually better with the heine which was opposite of what I thought. I guess it all comes down to whatever I get a good deal on, I mean I like'em all. I might post the targets but idk, there is no rhyme or reason to them. My friend and I both just shot the hell outta them so there's no telling whose shots are whose. The only one that's easy to tell apart is where I let loose with the pt145 and emptied the clip as fast as I could. BTW I thought it was awfully expensive to shoot there, anyone else go there? It was $95 for me and my friend. I think it was $75 for the ammo(1 box 9mm, .40, .45) and then $10 for each of us. I heard that if you bring your own ammo they charge more per person so is there any place close to here that's cheaper? K I'm starting to babble, have at it.
    So ya, Thought ya, Might like to Go to the show

Default Re: Got to the range today...

You won't get much cheaper than state gameland ranges....their free. BUT, a fair amount of rules to adhere to and their very serious about enforcement. Worst drawback is the occasional idiot who disregards safety rules. IUf you use the SGL range be sure to read the rules carefully. They are posted on a board and often right on the shooting bench as well. The one that bothers people the most is the 3 round limit, no more than 3 rounds may be in the firearm at any given time. Some ranges allow 6 in a handgun but not all...read the rules. Another fine option is join a club. If your going to shoot more than a few times a year it's the best way to go. Safer, funner and you meet good people.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBeGood86 View Post
    I shot the .45 the most and it was a lot of fun, the 24/7 must have been an older model bc it failed to chamber the next round a lot for the first 2 clips. I shot one clip of the .40, it's a good gun and shot fine but I liked the .45 better.
    magazine or mag will save you grief from everyone.

I always meet nice people at French Creek. There is the ocasional idiot but that's everywhere. I was there this past week and had great conversations with all that were there. I always introduce myself and that seems to help.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    I always meet nice people at French Creek. There is the ocasional idiot but that's everywhere. I was there this past week and had great conversations with all that were there. I always introduce myself and that seems to help.
    Seems you've been lucky at French Creek. There will come a time when you will wonder why you bother going there! Until I joined a club, I too used to think FC was a nice place, not anymore. Nice range, maybe, but too many morons, and definitely too many Philly gangbanger types for my liking. Best thing I ever did was join a club. My advice is the same to you and you'll soon forget that place.

(Berks County)

I'm assuming you went to Gun Gallery in Exeter? The ammo isn't the cheapest there but I've never been charged more for bringing in my own ammo. I recently joined as a member there so I now get discounts on ammo & range time. I'm also allowed to bring a guest free of charge as well. Only reason I joined was because I go there pretty frequently with my 9mm, .45acp & I even bring my GSG-5 in there to have a little fun. You are right about it being a little dark inside tho. I mentioned something to them the last time I was there and he said he just hadn't turned on all the lights since I was the only one shooting. He just had my lane and the lane next to me on.

(Berks County)

If you live in Sinky may I suggest Lebanon Valley Sportsmans Association? My father and BIL are both members there, it's out behind Wernersville State Hospital. They've taken me as a guest a couple times, rifle range is nice. Pistol range is kinda run down but still serviceable, nothing indoor except the clubhouse.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.