Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Desire to become cop, ? on dui/life

So I am an IT Manager making $60000 a year. I am 27 years old. My job is boring, I sit in a windowless cubicle pretty much all day. This job is extrememly stressful as well. I feel like I am wasting away though. I want adventure and excitement. I have always wanted to be a cop, ever since I was a little kid.

Three years ago I got a dui in PA. I lost my license for a month and got into the ARD program in which at the end of my record was expunged.

So with my DUI can I still be a cop in PA? Anyone know?
    Am I stupid for leavinga $60k/year job for a $40k/year job?
    Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
    www.supleetech.com

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Desire to become cop, ? on dui/life

Well , as far as the DUI . im not sure. If it was expunged that means its not on your record anymore. I would call your local police department and ask them,
    No going from a 60000 to a 40000 a year job, who cares as long as your happy. Im 36 and at the start of a new career. Sometimes you need a change.
    No longer posting

(Carbon County)

I dont know on the legality of things, But If i get bored with a job, I change things up, An officer of the law allways gets my respect, So you would have my blessings! I have been tossing Law enforcement/ military service around quite alot!
    Shall not be Questioned

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by pullpin View Post
    Am I stupid for leavinga $60k/year job for a $40k/year job?
    Only you can answer that. People can live on $40k a year. Can you?

Do you have a mortgage, car payment, and lifestyle based on $60k? If so, you'll probably have to give it all up and downsize your lifestyle.

Do you have 2 ex-wives and 8 kids to support? If so, what will your financial change do to them?

Stay with the $60,000 job as long as you can and bank a lot of the bucks so you'll have a nest egg to fall back on if/when you take a lower paying job...my thoughts...FWIW.

(Allegheny County)

Stress in the IT dept is nothing compared to the stress that typically accompanies a position in law enforcement. Not to mention the long periods of boredom most cops endure (depending on their job). Stick with the $60K job and get a stress relieving, exciting hobby like shooting!
    "Giving up freedom for security is beginning to look naïve".

you could be a police officer. you will most likely get rejected a couple times, but if you keep coming back they will accept you provided you meet the rest of the requirements.

a friend of mine tried and tried and they finaly accepted her for the same offense.
    This Space For Rent

(Mifflin County)

You should look into the benefits. As far as I'm aware, cops get more perks than just about any job out there. At my old place in Southside Allentown (not a bad neighborhood) my next-door neighbors went through a divorce and defaulted on the mortgage. After they were forclosed on it became a HUD house. A cop bought it at half price (cops and teachers can buy HUD houses at half off), lived in it for 5 years, then sold it at market value. I just went and checked the assesment records. Crazy. He bought the place in 02 for 53K and sold it in 07 for 240K. I walked through it when they were having the open house. He only did some very basic fix-up on it. Just something to keep in mind.

I have several friends in LE. I do not beleive that 1 DUI should be a problem.
    The problem lies w/ experience.
    I know guys w/ 4 year degrees in LE and they cannot get a job.
    I know young kids getting out of the service that were MP's and they get picked up right away.
    I think that is the way it should be, so check things out first.

Since you had ARD, the DUI will not prevent you from becoming a cop. It will make it extremely hard for you to get hired. Every department out there will pick someone who doesn't have a DUI before they pick you, unless you are going to try for a city gig. Going through ACT 120 on your own, MAY give you a leg up (still doesn't guarantee anything). Could always go through the academy part time and keep your job. Not sure who around you offers the academy. Its 3500 bucks to pay your own way. I tried for 5 years to get hired in PA with no luck. Thats why I went to MD. Problem with PA is, most of the time they are only hiring one or two at a time.

As for the rest of your post - thats for you to decide. I am currently debating leaving my department for another. And taking a pay cut as well, it sucks, but thankfully I now have everything paid off.
    Courage is not the absence of fear but the mastery of it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast