Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default 1st "encounter"... Pennsylvania Hospital.

So, I got my LTCF only several weeks ago, very new to carrying.

I had some pre-admissions tests to do today at PA Hospital for a surgery next week. Everything was going well, and a nurse practitioner told me she was going to do a physical. I assume at some point she is going to lift my shirt, and I didn't want her to just be surprised by the Glock on my hip.

Anyway, everything is going fine, and she starts checking my breathing, etc. I realize I'm moments away from having to disclose to her that I have a pistol on my hip... I am an anxious fellow as is and my heart rate is going sky high as she starts to take BPM measurements. She does it a few times, then asks to see the second hand on my watch... I know she's wondering why my heart went from 80bpm to 120.

She broaches the subject, and I say "I don't want you to be alarmed, I have a pistol on my hip, lawfully carried of course and I figured you'd be lifting my shirt, I was just a little nervous having to disclose that to you."

Obviously concerned and slightly nervous she asks "You have a pistol on your hip? Why do you have that?"

Took me a second or two to decide how I was going to reply, "I'm a citizen, I have a license to carry firearms" I tell her. The silence is deafening.

"I don't think you're supposed to have something like that in here," she says. I reply "Well, I didn't see any signs at the entrance but I will certainly take that under advisement."

She shuffles some papers, tells me she has to be right back, and wait there. She says she's going to leave the door open so I can get some air.

So now I am alone in the room figuring a bunch of security/police are going to be in shortly thereafter. Instead, she comes back in, finishes up some paperwork. As I get up to leave I said "I just want to thank you for not freaking out, you never know how people are going to react."

She told me next time just leave it at home... I didn't want to cause a scene or get into a debate, so I just asked as I was leaving "Do you know if there's actually a sign at the entrance?"

She replied that she did not know but that I could ask the security guard on the way out. I said thank you and took off.

On my way out I double checked and there is absolutely no sign making any mention of firearms... smoking yes, guns no.

Anyway... that is my first encounter while carrying. Have at it.

Default Re: 1st "encounter"... Pennsylvania Hospital.

Good job being polite and not backing down, and also not being argumentative.

I almost always take mine with me in Virginia to the hospital, unless I know I am going in for surgery or going into the surgical suite (like when my kids were born).

Heck there was a carjacking outside that hospital the same year my youngest son was born.

(Delaware County)

I think you did fine. Start carrying around a wallet info card you can find on this site somewhere. As a leave behind.

+ Rep for good job!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

+1

The first time is always nerve wracking. You held up well.

(Lawrence County)

Great job and I know the nervousness. When I first started to carry I just knew everyone was watching me...lol

I carry into the hospital all the time. As long as they don't post it no one need know.

knighted4

ARTICLE l SECTION 21
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

What part of this DON'T you understand?

(Somerset County)

I can testify to ciggs. being more dangerous than guns . I have been wounded a couple times with guns but had a massive heart attack due to ciggs.

So , I say ban the ciggs & leave the guns along . + REP for handleing it well under stress . Hope your surgery goes well .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Lehigh County)

I was in for the "45 year tune up" on Tuesday myself. My Doc's office is at the Lehigh Valley Hospital - I CC there all the time - never had the stones to OC though. Security there is armed, so I figure that I should be too.

Anyway - during the normal exam with my doc, he pulls my shirt up and places his stethoscope on my back & chest to take a listen to the ticker and my lungs - not a word said. My M&P9c was in plain view at 3 o'clock and as he was standing strong side there was no way he would have missed it. It later came up during more conversation - not the gun itself, but the background checks that we all end up going through - he was curious what PA required.

In hindsight he might have been a little rattled as they "forgot" my tetanus booster and I had to stop back today... although they did mark it on the diagnosis sheet that I got one... so there I am again, armed at the hospital, in the Doc's office. They really seemed indifferent to the fact that I carry at their office. Guess long as they get paid all is good - of course, going there for the last decade might have something to do with it too.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    I almost always take mine with me in Virginia to the hospital, unless I know I am going in for surgery or going into the surgical suite (like when my kids were born).
    You should also leave it at home if you're going to be near the MRI. You'd be surprised at how strong the magnetic fields are on those things.

Quote Originally Posted by AJG View Post
    You should also leave it at home if you're going to be near the MRI. You'd be surprised at how strong the magnetic fields are on those things.
    Good point on that. Not to mention what it might do on the laser sight on the one ..

Wow I wonder if it might even suck the rounds out of the barrel?

Hmm well probably not, but still..

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    I was in for the "45 year tune up" on Tuesday myself. My Doc's office is at the Lehigh Valley Hospital - I CC there all the time - never had the stones to OC though. Security there is armed, so I figure that I should be too.

Anyway - during the normal exam with my doc, he pulls my shirt up and places his stethoscope on my back & chest to take a listen to the ticker and my lungs - not a word said. My M&P9c was in plain view at 3 o'clock and as he was standing strong side there was no way he would have missed it. It later came up during more conversation - not the gun itself, but the background checks that we all end up going through - he was curious what PA required.

In hindsight he might have been a little rattled as they "forgot" my tetanus booster and I had to stop back today... although they did mark it on the diagnosis sheet that I got one... so there I am again, armed at the hospital, in the Doc's office. They really seemed indifferent to the fact that I carry at their office. Guess long as they get paid all is good - of course, going there for the last decade might have something to do with it too.
    Never saw a sign, but I do know for a fact that if you carry and security sees it they will ask you to either lock it in the car or they will lock it up for you and give you the key Otherwise there does not seem to be a problem. As usual "Don't Ask Don't Tell" I have CC there once.
    TET 68 Survivor --- U. S. Navy 1963 - 1972

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast