Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OC In PA for visitors

I have to admit I have been somewhat daunted recently to try OC in PA.

For one thing, if I get arrested here while I am traveling, I do not have anyone to bail me out, and I may have one or more of my sons, so then issues of their care and safety arise as well.

Yes I realize it is legal in PA (except, I think in the Philly area - a bit fuzzy on that), but especially since what happened to Mountain Jack, the soccer mom, and the guys OC at dinner, I have been loathe to actually do it there.

I mean, even just the loss of my firearm(s) and then having to come back to PA to pick them up would be quite a hardship.

Are there areas where it is generally safe to OC and areas I am more likely to get in trouble? I guess in PA I take comfort in the fact that I can CC in restaurants (unlike in VA) and maybe am too complacent...

I guess perhaps that is the reaction that the Gov't Anti Gun thugs are looking for - discourage legal open carry. And every time I hesitate to OC, those thugs win.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: OC In PA for visitors

In Philly you need to have a LTCF or license/permit from a state recognized by PA in order to OC. Judging by your post you have such a license/permit so even there you would be ok.
    Yes there are some areas that the LEO's seem to have a problem with the law but that you can find anywhere.
    I do however see your dilema but if it safety you are primarily concerned with I would CC and not risk having to come back and defend yourself for what should never happen in the first place. JMHO

knighted4

ARTICLE l SECTION 21
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

What part of this DON'T you understand?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    [I have to admit I have been somewhat daunted recently to try OC in PA.

For one thing, if I get arrested here while I am traveling, I do not have anyone to bail me out, and I may have one or more of my sons, so then issues of their care and safety arise as well.

Yes I realize it is legal in PA (except, I think in the Philly area - a bit fuzzy on that), but especially since what happened to Mountain Jack, the soccer mom, and the guys OC at dinner, I have been loathe to actually do it there.

I mean, even just the loss of my firearm(s) and then having to come back to PA to pick them up would be quite a hardship.

Are there areas where it is generally safe to OC and areas I am more likely to get in trouble? I guess in PA I take comfort in the fact that I can CC in restaurants (unlike in VA) and maybe am too complacent...
    You don't make any mention of it, so I'm hoping you have your LTCF or a concealed carry permit for Virginia?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    I guess perhaps that is the reaction that the Gov't Anti Gun thugs are looking for - discourage legal open carry. And every time I hesitate to OC, those thugs win.

Bold is mine, you are exactly right. And they mean to keep on winning. We outnumber them.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    You don't make any mention of it, so I'm hoping you have your LTCF or a concealed carry permit for Virginia?
    Yes, I should have mentioned it, I have a VA CHP. I am also thinking of getting either the PA and/or a NH Non-Resident permit (though NH went up to 100 bucks for four years)

I originally only got my permit to make it easier to legally take my guns to the range, but then Virginia Tech happened and my mind was changed...

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Best bet is to attend one of the open carry gatherings that are held now and then in PA, in an area already deemed "safe" ( been properly tested- LEOS walked by didn't say a word type deal), or to get together with a couple PA OCers from here and just hang out with them.

Hanover in York county seems to be ok with OC, fingers here does it all time and never an issue with LEOs. In fact a bunch of York county places seem safe from LEO shennanigans, but be aware that Computer Steve is being monitored "on the email" by Lt. Fells of York city PD LOL! I haven't fully tested the southern York county area I go to, but so far no problems with the limited bit.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Northampton County)

You already answered your own question. If you want me to say the probability of a serious confrontation (arrested or firearm seized) is extremely remote, I can do that. It's extremely remote.

(Tioga County)

Well, Tioga County is OK. I would submit that rural areas in general are OK. it's the larger cities that have the OC haters.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Northampton County)

I would submit that smaller cities in rural areas seem to have the most complaints. Poconos and central PA come to mind. Lehigh Valley there have only been a couple serious incidents, all in the past. And we got this place well-covered

(Lackawanna County)

In how many of the incidents the OP mentioned, or other incidents, were the people involved actually taken to jail? I believe in most of those incidents the cops eventually realized they screwed up and the people were let go. Is this correct? I can't remember too many cases where the gun owner actually went to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by HyDef View Post
    In how many of the incidents the OP mentioned, or other incidents, were the people involved actually taken to jail? I believe in most of those incidents the cops eventually realized they screwed up and the people were let go. Is this correct? I can't remember too many cases where the gun owner actually went to jail.
    None, however there were some firearms stolen..........by LEO.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast