Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question side arm carrying before 21?

Ive heard the rules for concealed carry and handgun ownership,MUST BE 21 BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I happen to be below the age of 21(although old enough to own and purchase a rifle or shotgun) unfortunately so if your under 21 your screwed eh?

Now heres my question,is it possible to carry a side arm that does not fire a self contained cartridge,an oldschool ball and cap revolver that were talking single action weapon,put on percussion caps pour powder in the cylinder chambers and put them lead balls in,

Ive heard you can ship blackpowder rifles through the mail no problem .need some imput yall
    Gott mit uns

Default Re: side arm carrying before 21?

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    Ive heard the rules for concealed carry and handgun ownership,MUST BE 21 BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I happen to be below the age of 21(although old enough to own and purchase a rifle or shotgun) unfortunately so if your under 21 your screwed eh?

Now heres my question,is it possible to carry a side arm that does not fire a self contained cartridge,an oldschool ball and cap revolver that were talking single action weapon,put on percussion caps pour powder in the cylinder chambers and put them lead balls in,

Ive heard you can ship blackpowder rifles through the mail no problem .need some imput yall
    A handgun is a handgun, I don't think the difference between a cap and ball pistol would make any difference.

And besides WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO CARRY ONE?

I THINK that being under 21 you can OWN a handgun, but you can not BUY a handgun, you can have one gifted to you IIRC, also IIRC, the lack of a law prohibiting open carry would allow you to open carry, you must be 21 for a concealed weapons permit.

But I wouldn't advise carrying if your under 21.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    A handgun is a handgun, I don't think the difference between a cap and ball pistol would make any difference.

And besides WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO CARRY ONE?

I THINK that being under 21 you can OWN a handgun, but you can not BUY a handgun, you can have one gifted to you IIRC, also IIRC, the lack of a law prohibiting open carry would allow you to open carry, you must be 21 for a concealed weapons permit.
    To answer the qustion of why would I want onE, just to be fair,why do adults need concealed carry after all they are usually bigger and stronger ( guys anyways no offense ladies)so whats the need?

also why is are you considered an adult at 18 yet you cant drink and smoke and do concealed carry like somone who is 21 BS i say!i know you should try to avoid conflict as much as possible but you cant reason with some people by
    conventional means

crime increasing in lancaster blah blah blah.
    The world isnt getting any frendlier so i think people should be armed accordingly

i came to this board to ask questions and seek advice so thats what im doin .
    Last edited by Triggerh4ppy; June 9th, 2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Gott mit uns

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    To answer the qustion of why would I want onE, just to be fair,why do adults need concealed carry after all they are usually bigger and stronger ( guys anyways no offense ladies)so whats the need?

also why is are you considered an adult at 18 yet you cant drink and smoke and do concealed carry like somone who is 21 BS i say!i know you should try to avoid conflict as much as possible but you cant reason with some people by
    conventional means

crime increasing in lancaster blah blah blah.
    The world isnt getting any frendlier so i think people should be armed accordingly

i came to this board to ask questions and seek advice so thats what im doin .
    Well for one, you can smoke at 18 last time I checked....

Second, I can't think of one 18 year old that is disciplined enough to carry a concealed firearm. Not wanting so start a 2A war here, but that's my thoughts, I don't agree with many of the laws regarding concealed carry.

No for those that say "At 18 you can die for you country...."Let me tell you, even in the Military, I knew plenty of people that weren't mature enough to carry a concealed weapon.

An M16 in the field with no ammo, fine. In war, fine. But you get some 21 year old soldier/sailor etc.etc. liquored up with a gun...well you know.

Triggerh4appy, I am sure you are years beyond most in your age group and this is not directed at you personally, but looking at the whole of your age group, I'd be scared if 18 yr olds were allowed to carry.

As for a cap and ball pistol of that sorts, well I think for the time being you'd be better off with some pepper spray and a good knife.

(Lawrence County)

You can get a hunting permit to hunt with a handgun under 21. At least you could when I was 18....... It may allow you other open carry priveleges. I'd start looking there.

Lycani"owned"myfirstrevolverat16thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

I am 22 and I can say when I was 18 I didn't need a gun at my side. I would have done something dumb. Now that I am older and have been out in the real world a few years (plus I'm married) I understand the responsibility much more than I did before.

That being said as stated before here you can carry openly if you are 18. But I would recommend against it as it'll be a hassle with LEO's while they try to sort things out. plus as you said many people are bigger than you and could take it away if they catch you by surprise (please no OC arguments here).

Also most young guys would want a gun on their side to show they are tough, very few want it for self defense. Something to think about

(Philadelphia County)

Second, I can't think of one 18 year old that is disciplined enough to carry a concealed firearm. Not wanting so start a 2A war here, but that's my thoughts, I don't agree with many of the laws regarding concealed carry.
    You want to go ahead and ask me how much firearms training I had before I turned 21? There's plenty of mature and capable 18yo's out there.

Look, all you need to do is get your father to get you a handgun as a "gift" and give it to you. Then you may open carry anywhere in the state except for Philadelphia and while in a vehicle. If you can find a state that will issue you a non-res permit at 18, then you can even carry openly in your vehicle.

One issue: expect harassment from the police, expect to be arrested and go to court a few times. You'll always walk because there's no law, but the authorities will make it inconvenient for you. Prior to turning 21 I just carried a collapsible baton concealed in my waistband to avoid the trouble.\

I'll also recommend you get some serious training, but that goes for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    You want to go ahead and ask me how much firearms training I had before I turned 21? There's plenty of mature and capable 18yo's out there.
    1. Were not talking about you.

2. I said "I can't think of any." Which is still true, I can't think of any.

3. If I were him, I'd want to see actual laws or legal info, rather than just going on what he hears here. While I know what I said above is true, and you mirror what I thought was the case, do you have any reference for this being legal?
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; June 9th, 2007 at 10:08 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

1. Were not talking about you.

2. I said "I can't think of any." Which is still true, I can't think of any.

Carry on.
    1) I assure you I'm not the only one who made a commitment to being proficient, safe and responsible with a handgun before i turned 21. You made a blanket statement about all 18-20 year olds. When i was in that age range, i would have taken great offense to that statement.

2) I gave this forum an example of someone: Myself. While the discussion is not about me, how do you know that triggerh4ppy hasn't made a similar commitment?

Don't condemn someone based on their age, frankly, it doesn't mean shit.
    Last edited by MarcS; June 9th, 2007 at 10:13 PM.

(Berks County)

Hey Triggerh4ppy,

Before you know it, one day you're gonna be 21 years old. The years fly by so fast, and it's really just around the corner hang in there man.

I remember when I hated being under 21, and as a matter of fact, sometimes I long to be 18, 19 or 20 again.

Take care,

Rand

P.S. I can see it now, you with your license to carry firearms, O.C. and owning several handguns to boot!!!!!
    Last edited by dnar; June 9th, 2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: edit text.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast