Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 87 Year Old Woman Shot and Killed in NYC

Link to story here.

Anyone up for starting a petition to make guns illegal to carry in NYC? Then this would not have happened.

Elderly Woman Murdered
    At Surfside Gardens

Violent Sunday in Brooklyn

Published : Sunday, 02 Aug 2009, 8:13 PM EDT

MYFOXNY.COM - An elderly woman was shot in front of the Surfside Garden Houses in the Coney Island area of Brooklyn. She later died at the hospital.

The victim was identified as 87-year-old Anna Surman of 2950 West 31 Street.

It happened about 5:30 p.m. on Sunday. Someone called 9-1-1 to report a woman shot at 2960 West 31st Street. Surman had been caught in the crossfire between two men firing guns at each other.

Police found Surman with a gunshot wound in her neck. Emergency crews rushed her to Lutheran Hospital but it was too late.

Police have not made any arrests in the case.

The murder took place a few blocks from the famous Coney Island boardwalk. The New York City Council recently voted overwhelmingly in favor of plans backed by Michael Bloomberg, New York's mayor, to build hotels, housing and a new entertainment complex on Coney Island.

The murder was just part of a bloody day in Brooklyn. Seven people were stabbed during a fight at a subway station early Sunday morning. Apparently two groups of men began arguing on Crescent Avenue and Fulton Street. Six of the men were stabbed on the streets, and another man was chased down into the Crescent Avenue subway station where he was stabbed.

All seven stabbing victims are expected to survive.

In another unrelated attack from the morning, police found an unidentified man shot twice at the corner of Newport Avenue and Osborn Street in Brooklyn. He was listed in critical condition on Sunday afternoon.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(York County)

Default Re: 87 Year Old Woman Shot and Killed in NYC

Forget banning guns, I mean only one person was shot. What about the seven people that were stabbed? I think its time we start banning all types of knives and other types of sharp or pointy objects. I mean c'mon, clearly they are becoming very dangerous and certainly don't belong out on the streets in the hands of citizens. They should only be allowed to be carried by cops. People will simply just have to call the local PD to come cut up their steak dinner. I mean it only takes a few minutes for them to get there right? No big deal... and just imagine how much safer we would all be.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

(Pike County)

man ,zoo york is getting more f*cked up each passing day

And people want to go there????????????

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by tommy610 View Post
    Link to story here.

Anyone up for starting a petition to make guns illegal to carry in NYC? Then this would not have happened.
    I'll pass. I'm not for petitioning ANY anti gun laws anywhere. If more people carried guns, there would be less crime. You can continue to expect these kinds of incidents in any place that only "allows" criminals to carry guns in thier cities. True, it would have made little difference in this particular incident but there's plenty of others. Take your pick. When a whole city is a gun free zone, it's easy to have courage when you're a criminal with a gun.
    I don't like going anywhere without carring and to add insult to injury, you want me to go to one of the most notorious cities in the US without one?
    Screw that. I'll stay in PA and petition to carry everywhere I go.
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ View Post
    I'll pass. I'm not for petitioning ANY anti gun laws anywhere. If more people carried guns, there would be less crime. You can continue to expect these kinds of incidents in any place that only "allows" criminals to carry guns in thier cities. True, it would have made little difference in this particular incident but there's plenty of others. Take your pick. When a whole city is a gun free zone, it's easy to have courage when you're a criminal with a gun.
    I don't like going anywhere without carring and to add insult to injury, you want me to go to one of the most notorious cities in the US without one?
    Screw that. I'll stay in PA and petition to carry everywhere I go.
    I could be wrong, although i certainly hope not, especially on this forum, but i believe you missed the sarcasm intended by the OP. I'm fairly certain most of us on here agree somewhere on the same line of thinking that you do. Seeing how NYC is already extremely anti-gun, I do believe the OP was making a sarcastic remark. I surely hope you didn't overlook the sarcasm in my previous post No harm, no foul, just sayin...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm up for starting a petition to ban people from outside activities. They'd all just be a lot safer if they stayed at home, cowering behind locked doors, with all the sharp points filed off their kitchen utensils.
    The real answer is 42.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by bighornjd View Post
    Forget banning guns, I mean only one person was shot. What about the seven people that were stabbed? I think its time we start banning all types of knives and other types of sharp or pointy objects. I mean c'mon, clearly they are becoming very dangerous and certainly don't belong out on the streets in the hands of citizens. They should only be allowed to be carried by cops. People will simply just have to call the local PD to come cut up their steak dinner. I mean it only takes a few minutes for them to get there right? No big deal... and just imagine how much safer we would all be.
    Want to see scary? Do you have a free hour? Google UK knife outrage. You'll spend half your morning reading stories like this. Seems like every week someone is getting knifed in school over there. The whole country is in an uproar and apparently it's hard to go buy a steak knife anymore because people are going to corner stores and buying "deadly weapons".
    I always thought it was a joke. "what are they gonna ban after guns, knives?" damn straight!

This shows the psychos are out I'm force. In just a couple days you have violence all over and even close to home.
    And people think IM wierd for protecting myself? I'm amazed the human mind can operate that way. The cops will protect you! Look how good they are doing! Is anyone else just stunned at the sheep?
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

Wink Re: 87 Year Old Woman Shot and Killed in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Halftrack View Post
    I'm up for starting a petition to ban people from outside activities. They'd all just be a lot safer if they stayed at home, cowering behind locked doors, with all the sharp points filed off their kitchen utensils.

Halftrack,

Are you nutz ... Cowering behind locked doors ?

... Cowering needs to be ' Illegal ' also ... should be illegal to cower - mandatory Smiles and pretending you love your neighborhood ( jus' pokin' )

... although I guess I should be careful pokin' + jokin' around like this ... Mandatory Smiles and Illegal Cowering could be buried in the Health Bill .. yikes !

On the serious, imagine having to live there and tolerate this stuff ... sad.

INCONCEIVABLE! A person shot in a gun free city?

I am so sorry for her family left behind after this tragedy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast