Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: WWII pistols

Wink WWII pistols

How can I register WWII pistols that were brought back from Germany. I live in NYS and have a valid NYS permit. It is impossible to try to get them registered here, however at my recent visit to Allentown gun show, I was told by a PA dealer that they could transfer them to my dealer in NY, however I would have to transport them to PA and I am not a resident of PA.
    Can anyone give me any advise.
    Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: WWII pistols

Are these Full Auto pistols? If so, there is no way. If they are standard pistols, then it would be best to post this question in the "pistol" section.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Are these Full Auto pistols? If so, there is no way. If they are standard pistols, then it would be best to post this question in the "pistol" section.
    Did the Germans have full auto pistols in WWII? (not counting the SMGs, which were called machine pistols, I assume the OP is talking about sidearms)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
    Did the Germans have full auto pistols in WWII? (not counting the SMGs, which were called machine pistols, I mean sidearms)
    I have no idea, but the question was posted in the NFA section. Just want to make sure. I'm guessing that they are not FA.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Jefferson County)

I doubt we are talking NFA items and this is probably in the wrong section.

For the OP,

Any purchase of a handgun in a state other than your one of residence will require the handgun to be shipped directly from the selling FFL to a FFL in your home state to complete the transfer.

If that handgun is not legal in your home state, or if you cannot acquire the proper permit for purchase/possession - then you're crap out of luck. You have to abide by NY's laws too. Now if you can get the properly permits to possess, you could then bring it back into PA. But if the gun isn't legal in NY, that makes the entire purchase pointless.

(Centre County)

Could use some more background info also.

Just brainstorming here (just little puffs of lightening an thunder )

Were they brought back from Germany from a military person when they returned from WWII?

When were they brought back?

Where were they back to? NYS? Another state and they got to NY by way of a change of residence? Maybe something there that may help.

What were the laws (about war trophies) at the time they brought them back? They may be grandfathered under the old laws.

Was any paperwork done? I seem to recall that military people could do paperwork to legally bring back captured guns or guns that the military allowed them to retain. Is that paperwork somewhere?

How did you get them? Were they willed to you? If so, there may be something there that could help.

One scenerio (for you, other than going to jail for possessing them) is for you to donate them to a military museum. You'd probably get lifetime passes and a little plaque showing you as the donatee.

Just don't know what else to ask. When you start talking about military guns from wars you probably don't want to go to the local gun shop, you need to hunt up a knowledgeable collector that knows the laws. Possibly, mind you I did say possibly, an good estate lawyer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I will do that,
    Thaks

Thet were found in a house cleaning job and I do not possess them. The wife told me that the husband was in WWII and brought them back and left them in the attic. However I do have a NYS permit and it seems impossible to register them up here since they are illegal. The only thing I am saying is that on my recent visit to Allentown, I spoke to a dealer and the dealer told me that in PA, all you have to do is hand them in to a dealer in PA and have them transferred to a dealer in NY, however I was not clear if you have to be a PA resident, and besides the fact that I would have to bring them to PA scares the hell out of me since I would have to drive through NY and NJ.

well what are they? If its like a 1911 im sure you can hang one to them. And they are perfectly legal in both states.

One of them is a small .32 French revolver and the other is a Model 1934 .32 semi-auto handgun. Both in pristine condition with holsters.