Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Sighting a Taurus Millennium Pro 745

Hey guys...

I just got a Taurus Millennium 745 and took it to the range. At 7 yards the shots went several inches low and an inch or two to the right. It looks like it has adjustable sights, but I seem to be unable to unlock them with the little allen wrench that came with the gun. Also, there seems to be no way of moving the sights up to adjust for the low hits.

If anyone has any idea about how to correct this, your help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

My Hi-Point C9 is always dead on so I was upset that I spent four times as much money on the Taurus that isn't as accurate

Default Re: Sighting a Taurus Millennium Pro 745

I looked at the Taurus site and it doesn't show adjustable sights on the 745, but that doesn't mean anything with Taurus. They have a tendency to be slow with updating their website with options for their pistols.

If you take a look at your rear sights you will notice a slot for a small screw driver to adjust your sights...if you indeed have adjustable sights. Do you have a digital camera that you can take pictures, so we can see what we are dealing with here.

(Beaver County)

The set screw on my PT145 was VERY tight and it took some doing to get it loose. I can adjust left/right but I see no way to adjust up/down.

Looking at the Taurus manual, I would hazard a guess that you have fixed sights. Loosening the set-screw allowed you to drift the sight left/right. However, the elevation for fixed sights is only changed by new sight components of a different height. A shorter front sight will raise you point of impact. Before pursuing this option, I would suggest the you confirm it was the pistol and not you that was shooting low. This can be done by using a pistol rest (or sandbag) when shooting to limit shooter influence. A laser boresighter ($40 at Wal-mart) to verify the sights are off. My laser has confirmed several times that a poor day at the range was my fault and not the sights'. A final option is to have a friend shoot it and see if the results are the same.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by VeryPrivate View Post
    Looking at the Taurus manual, I would hazard a guess that you have fixed sights. Loosening the set-screw allowed you to drift the sight left/right. However, the elevation for fixed sights is only changed by new sight components of a different height. A shorter front sight will raise you point of impact. Before pursuing this option, I would suggest the you confirm it was the pistol and not you that was shooting low. This can be done by using a pistol rest (or sandbag) when shooting to limit shooter influence. A laser boresighter ($40 at Wal-mart) to verify the sights are off. My laser has confirmed several times that a poor day at the range was my fault and not the sights'. A final option is to have a friend shoot it and see if the results are the same.
    Letting a friend shoot it is a good idea. My uncle was shooting WAY left with his Taurus. I shot it and I was in the black. Now to figure out why he is shooting way left.

(Centre County)

There is the possibility that if everything said in previous posts point to the fact that the sights are the problem, you may be able to raise the POI (Point of Impact) by shimming the rear sight. This is dependent on how long the locking screw is and how much vertical room there is in the sight slot. I looked at the Taurus web site and couldn't tell if the rear sight is in a shallow slot or not. If it is just screwed down on top of the frame it should be easy to shim. Other that that, you can make the front sight lower (cautious use of a file and then reblue), or install an aftermarket rear sight that is fully adjustable. The second suggestion would be best done by a gunsmith as the slide may have to be slightly modified.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

nik,
    I am taking the plunge on compacts. I think I can fig. out site problems but what I want to know is what you think of the weapon overall. I like the glock but lack $. It the Taurus worth it?

JDS

(Armstrong County)

You can only adjust windage on the PT series ........... I hated the Heine's and bought a set of Williams FireSights. Put'em on by eyeballing them and it's one of the most accurate pistols I have!
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Clinton County)

Do not do anything until you shot over 200- 300 Rounds with it. Taurus Pistols have a habit of shooting low at first.
    Last edited by B2Luv2Hunt; January 14th, 2010 at 11:07 PM.