Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Thumbs down 'Senseless killing' takes man active in community

Christopher Murphy and his cousin had just gotten off work at Temple University Hospital.

Murphy dropped his bag at his mother's house, nearby on North Seventh Street, and he and his cousin went for Chinese take-out.

It was their normal routine. They probably would have sat on the porch and eaten their meals, enjoying a warm summer night.

Instead, two gunmen accosted them around 2 a.m. yesterday, less than a block from Murphy's home.

Despite giving up their money and jewelry - and even their food - one of the robbers shot Murphy in the head, killing the 23-year-old.

"This is truly, truly an innocent victim," said Homicide Capt. James Clark. "It's just a sad and senseless killing."

The shooting was made even more tragic because Murphy had been raised to avoid the kind of trouble that plagues the city's streets, his family said.

He had been taught the value of education and hard work. He had been given morals grounded in his church, where his grandfather is pastor, and mentored by a large extended family.

"His goal in life was to be a philanthropist and give back to his community, to young black boys in trouble," said Murphy's mother, Karen Leonard. "This was a senseless act of murder. He was a doer, a giver."

Murphy graduated from Girard College in 2004 and spent two years at West Chester University. He played keyboards and drums at his grandfather's church, West Side Church of God, where he also coached youth basketball.

He was so involved in school activities and youth ministries that his family lost track of them all.

Leonard said her son was transferring to Temple University and working as an orderly at the hospital. He had leased his own apartment and was set to move in today.

"Another dream not fulfilled, but so close," said Stephen Pierce, his uncle.

Pierce contrasted his nephew with the two young suspects, who remain at large.

"We raised them and counseled them and talked to them to avoid things like this," he said. "You don't treat people like this. You don't take from them. You want something, you work for it."

As for the suspects, he blamed "parents being derelict in raising their kids."
    More

Ive argued with people who say that it would be easier if we just gave up what the perps wanted to avoid a violent event but this event trumps that sad excuse.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: 'Senseless killing' takes man active in community

i've always been under the assumption that once you give them what they want they leave you alone, this changes everything.

(Northampton County)

I've seen different things where, despite giving them what they want, the victim(s) is brutalized or murdered. There is no guarantee that you would be guaranteed to be safe upon giving them what they want, and as such they are a threat.

It is definitely a shame that this happened.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by steveinphilly View Post
    i've always been under the assumption that once you give them what they want they leave you alone, this changes everything.

I hope you're kidding. The news reports are over-run with stories of crime victims being killed *after* complying with their attackers. This is nothing new.

Here is the key distinction, and I cannot emphasize it enough, the difference is literally a matter of life and death...

If you are armed, your survival is a matter of YOUR choosing.

If you are not armed, you live or die at the whim of your attacker. Is your life so devoid of meaning or substance that your are willing to allow it's future to be determined by a common street thug?

Give this some serious thought.

The attacker in this event, as of the last I heard, is still at large, ready for his next victim. And who will that be? What "lesson" did he learn from his victim?

Vast, unspeakable evil walks our streets everyday with impunity, despite the countless billions we spend on police forces. It is not enough. Evil must be stopped the moment it springs from it's hell-hole, and it must be stopped, by better people than those who would disarm us all.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

im just really naive coming from the burbs where i rarely locked my doors let alone worried about anyone shooting me. watching the news it seems like it is so far away, but now living in the city it really hit me. great post curmudgeon

(York County)

Anything can happen to anyone, anywhere. It doesn't matter if you live in the city, in the sticks or in a suburban neighborhood. Thugs pick sometimes randomly who they will victimize next. We were given the right to protect our loved ones and ourselves. This is something everyone should take advantage of. I wished they did, crime would plummet and people may start to feel safe again. Just always remember, you are never truly safe. The tools that many of us carry day to day won't guarantee what happens in confrontation, however they help sway the odds in our favor. If enough of us start to fight back and refuse to be the victim than scum like described above may think twice before walking up to a random person and shooting them.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by steveinphilly View Post
    im just really naive coming from the burbs where i rarely locked my doors let alone worried about anyone shooting me. watching the news it seems like it is so far away, but now living in the city it really hit me. great post curmudgeon
    Not to derail, but I never understood this. I grew up in the sticks and we still always locked our doors, had locks on our sheds, etc. Keeping the property given to you secured is the first step of a good steward. So many crimes are crimes of opportunity, so why give someone the opportunity?

Sad to hear about this guy though. Yet another reason to take responsibility for your personal security.
    Last edited by Jelanen; August 10th, 2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: forgot a word
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0
    When are people going to learn that safety is not a "feeling"