Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: On the Prowl

(Lackawanna County)

Default On the Prowl

I was at the gun store yesterday doing some business & we started talking about .45s and he said don't worry about the slidelock its really unnecessary and showed how its just as easy to pull it back and get into position, i told i understand but i want to be able to push all the buttons and levers just because. So he showed me a Rock Island Armory .45 that was like 450ish. He said for the price its the best.

Now is this the junker of the 1911 world or is this actually a good gun?
    I don't remember which model it is I'm sorry to say, was in a big hurry and it was near closing time for him, but I'm not terribly fond on the appearance of the grips, how easy is it to change them and how much a selection is their? Are they gun model specific on 1911's or is their like a 1 size fits all to a degree?

Now onto the Kimbers, theirs Kimber .45 caliber 1911's out there for like 550, 600 dollars ?!?!?!? Everyone i've seen on here, gun stores, and in gun mags have been well over a 1000. What gives? lol again I'm sorry don't have the model but for that price you guys might know what it is. The sights on the Kimber idk if I'm crazy about them, is it wise to change them or do they come as the best stock? Is their anything wrong with buying the cheaper Kimber model or should i just put the 600 away and put together another couple hundred and go for a better model? He gave me a 60 some page book on what they have to offer but it doesn't say shit really about performance or reviews, theirs nice stuff in there but i wanna know if its DS or SA 6,7,8,9 round mags

Now that i've found affordable 1911's is their anything you have to do to them when you buy them? What I mean is you buy an AR15, most of the time you change the grips, red dot sight, new rails,etc...is their something that everyone does to a 1911?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: On the Prowl

You shouldn't buy any guns

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    You shouldn't buy any guns
    don't come in my threads and start problems, i don't come in yours that your asking honest questions to get honest answers and start trouble. So please if your just lurking around to make snive remarks and insult me then don't waste your time, my time and the forums time. thank you

Guns4Fun is right. He isn't being "snive." Hell, he isn't even being "snide."

I'm hoping beyond hope that you're simply a trollish type having a bit of summer fun behind the keyboard, and that none of the escapades that you've written about have actually come to pass. If they have, and you aren't simply typing out a silly Walter Mitty fantasy for your buddies at 4chan to ROFL over later, it's my sincerest hopes that your wings get clipped, and soon.

Does anybody know this guy in RL?

(Lackawanna County)

oh jesus christ just fucking forget it........attn. mods can you just delete this thread cause its just gonna turn into a BS thread and waste time for the site

(Mercer County)

(Centre County)

Now that I got done loughing...

RIA 1911 - for the price you mentioned, I presume its tactical(their basic GI model usualy goes for around $400).
    Regardless of model, RIA is indeed "basic" 1911. But its certainly no junker.
    Many people buys them as first 1911.

As far as Kimber goes, I'm not aware of any kimber that goes for like 550, 600 dollars. Not new one anyway.
    They are expensive, because of amount of hand fitting it goes in to make quality 1911, which is alot. And we all know laber in US is not cheap.
    Some manufactures can sell their 1911 cheap, because of where it was assembled(such as low end SA 1911, Taurus 1911, RIA, CD just name few)
    Cheapest Kimber I've seen is StainlessII for $850, which was a special deal.

Grips are simple to replace. As long as frame is made to original spec(almost all are, except bobtailed 1911, and hi-cap 1911). But before worned. quality 1911 grip can be expensive.

Sights are up to you. If you don't care for it, change it. But again, it can be expensive.

There are many other manufactures whom sales quality 1911's that fits your price range. Let me list few for you...

ParaOrdnance GI Expert - Last one I saw at the store was $539

Taurus 1911(pic is railed one. one I'm talking about is same gun, minus rail) around $500. Railed one in pic can be around $550

Springfield 1911GI - $500 or less. I bought mine for $439. Mil Spec 1911 is about $100 more then GI version

Same gun as above, but in SS - around $600

Charles Daly 1911SS - right around $500. Blued steel one is about $50 less

These are just few I can come up with real fast. I'm sure there are more budget 1911 that is good quality. May be someone else can chime in...

If I were you, I'd save money and buy nicer one(my current 1911 is CZ DanWesson CBOB. I forgot what I paid for... I think I paid around $1100 OTD)
    But you can find some nice 1911 with most bells n' whistles for around $800. SA Loaded like one below would be my recommendation.
    When I bought SA Loaded ss last year, I think I paid $just under $800 OTD...

Good luck with your search
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Guns4Fun is right. He isn't being "snive." Hell, he isn't even being "snide."

I'm hoping beyond hope that you're simply a trollish type having a bit of summer fun behind the keyboard, and that none of the escapades that you've written about have actually come to pass. If they have, and you aren't simply typing out a silly Walter Mitty fantasy for your buddies at 4chan to ROFL over later, it's my sincerest hopes that your wings get clipped, and soon.

Does anybody know this guy in RL?
    mickey01023 has 320 posts and 7 rep points, so I don't think he's a troll. Not everybody is up to speed on 1911's. Old design and many folks haven't had a lot of experience with them...or are enamored with them. I've had three or four, still got one (Colt 1991-A1) but never shoot the damn thing. More of a Glock guy...and I do think Glocks are the better gun for self defense.

For mickey01023: I think the guy at the gun shop was nuts saying the slidelock isn't necessary. You don't actually need it to charge the pistol during a reload, but it is handy at the range if you want to lock back to ensure the gun isn't functional between firing times. There was one range (Seitzland, in New Freedom was the range if I recall correctly) that required the slides be locked back if not being fired.
    As far as brand, buddy had a Rock Island he was very happy with. He also had a Springfield that was a POS. Mine have been Auto-Ordnance and Colt. They all worked well.

You'll get plenty of responses on other brands...all opinion, of course.

Good luck!
    Last edited by RoyJackson; August 2nd, 2009 at 10:52 AM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(York County)

buy the rock island and have an extended slide stop put it. My firestorm came with an extended slide lock and I didn't use it so I swapped with another member for his standard stop.

(Lackawanna County)

1911's aren't guns for everyone. they require more patience, more training, and more finesse, to shoot properly. the difference between shooting a 1911 and other guns is like the difference between using a katana and using a hammer. since i assume you'd probably be comfortable using a tool, stick with a hammer.

i suggest you buy a Glock and be done with it.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast