Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Cleaning a new glock 19, is this all I need?

Ok, just for the record, I did do a search but I've found conflicting information as to whether or not a new Glock needs to be cleaned. I plan on going to the range this weekend for the first time with my 19 and figured I would just be safe and clean it. (It's also been sitting in my house for about a month and a half). Well, I'm new to all this so I had to look up a whole bunch of info and videos to see how to properly clean a gun. A rod and brush came with the gun so I guess I'm good to go there. But, as far as the other stuff, this is what I think I need:

- Gun Solvent (Hoppe's #9 seems to be the preferred choice)
    - Gun Grease
    - Cotton Cloths

Is this it? I've also heard mention of maybe only needing to lube down the barrel with some oil (Rem Oil?) before the first shoot. What do you guys think about that? Thanks for the help!

(Montgomery County)

Cool Re: Cleaning a new glock 19, is this all I need?

For my glock 23, I bought a Kleenbore gun cleaning kit for like 25 or 30 bucks and it has everything you need to clean your present and future gun purchases. I do use the barrel brush that came with the gun. The kit includes patches, different size jags, toothbrush type cleaning brush, clp gun cleaner which is like a 3 in 1 cleaner, lubricant, etc. Also has a nice silicone cloth which is nice. I don't think you need different cleaners, but then again I am also new and could be wrong, but it works fine for me. I'm gonna get a g 19 too.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Cleaning a new glock 19, is this all I need?

Yes, clean and inspect your new Glock before firing it. Do not over oil it. You don't need to remove the copper-colored factory lubricant. Use oil not grease on a Glock.

I've also heard mention of maybe only needing to lube down the barrel with some oil (Rem Oil?) before the first shoot. What do you guys think about that?
    There are 5 Glock-recommended lubrication points in your owners manual.

After cleaning, I place a drop of oil on the rail contact points, lightly on the outside of the barrel, barrel lug, under the hook/ear of the connector, and the hood of the slide.

I also place a drop of oil onto the ramped section inside the right hand side of the slide.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    For my glock 23, I bought a Kleenbore gun cleaning kit for like 25 or 30 bucks and it has everything you need to clean your present and future gun purchases. I do use the barrel brush that came with the gun. The kit includes patches, different size jags, toothbrush type cleaning brush, clp gun cleaner which is like a 3 in 1 cleaner, lubricant, etc. Also has a nice silicone cloth which is nice. I don't think you need different cleaners, but then again I am also new and could be wrong, but it works fine for me. I'm gonna get a g 19 too.
    I forgot to mention that I did inspect the gun, but did not clean it first before firing, but I didn't realize you should do that until after the fact. Listen to Nic as well, read the manual, don't remove the copper factory grease, and less lube is better than over lubing a glock, be careful not to do that. There are also some youtube videos on the net that are helpful if you are more of a visual learner like myself. Good purchase by the way, but how did you stand it knowing that for 1 month+ that you had it and didn't shoot it yet!!

(Adams County)

Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Westmoreland County)

Glock lubrication points...

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    Should we use orange scented or apple cinnamon detergent for a Glock?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    I forgot to mention that I did inspect the gun, but did not clean it first before firing, but I didn't realize you should do that until after the fact. Listen to Nic as well, read the manual, don't remove the copper factory grease, and less lube is better than over lubing a glock, be careful not to do that. There are also some youtube videos on the net that are helpful if you are more of a visual learner like myself. Good purchase by the way, but how did you stand it knowing that for 1 month+ that you had it and didn't shoot it yet!!
    I know! A month and a half! Haven't been able to get to the range because school has been so busy.

(Westmoreland County)

For reliability I like to keep the feed ramp clean and shiny, it tends to get a lot of powder residue.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
    Ok, just for the record, I did do a search but I've found conflicting information as to whether or not a new Glock needs to be cleaned. I plan on going to the range this weekend for the first time with my 19 and figured I would just be safe and clean it. (It's also been sitting in my house for about a month and a half). Well, I'm new to all this so I had to look up a whole bunch of info and videos to see how to properly clean a gun. A rod and brush came with the gun so I guess I'm good to go there. But, as far as the other stuff, this is what I think I need:

- Gun Solvent (Hoppe's #9 seems to be the preferred choice)
    - Gun Grease
    - Cotton Cloths

Is this it? I've also heard mention of maybe only needing to lube down the barrel with some oil (Rem Oil?) before the first shoot. What do you guys think about that? Thanks for the help!
    Definitely stick to what the manual says...
    Clean it before your first trip - Hoppe Solvent works fine as does their oil. The Glocks take 6 drops of oil, 1 in each area indicated in the manual. I'd probably buy a box of Q-Tips... they work great for getting into the tight spaces. Enjoy it - its a great gun!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast