Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Had a discusson with a police officer today - open carry came up.

So I'm looking out the window at my garden and I see 2 groundhogs inside the fence eating the lettuce! I grab the .22 and start loading it up and my mom is freaking out. "You can't shoot a gun, someone will call the police!" Well, before I could get down there they were gone. I guess my fence needs a little work.

I head to work and recognize an off duty police officer. So I ask him if I could get in trouble for shooting a groundhog in my garden. His response was yes, because of the proximity to residential homes. Okay I say. I'll trap it and then take it down into the woods far from homes and "two go out but only one come back."

I then ask him if he knows of any local CCW training courses. He said no, he wasn't sure of any in the area. He said, just go down to the courthouse and get your permit, then make sure your firearm is concealed, because it can't show. My response was that PA law states that you only need a CCW permit if you intend to conceal the weapon, and that because of the wording of the the law open carry was legal. He says, no that's not true, it has to be concealed.

Well, I didn't feel like getting into an argument, so I think I'm going to print out that open carry training memo and mail it to his police department. It's amazing that these officers are out there, supposedly enforcing the law, and they don't even know it.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Had a discusson with a police officer today - open carry came up.

Here's what ya do. It's not ignorant or anything like that. Dont try and state how the law works. Those people who answer it like that, probably dont know and just interpret the law since it says "Concealed" my other PSP buddy thought like that at first, he had never run into a situation. I said to him "What law says we cant?" He was like, I dont know. He went out to his car and got his crimes code pocket version he had and was looking through it. his next reply was "Hmm... well it looks like you can."

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    Here's what ya do. It's not ignorant or anything like that. Dont try and state how the law works. Those people who answer it like that, probably dont know and just interpret the law since it says "Concealed" my other PSP buddy thought like that at first, he had never run into a situation. I said to him "What law says we cant?" He was like, I dont know. He went out to his car and got his crimes code pocket version he had and was looking through it. his next reply was "Hmm... well it looks like you can."
    I'll try the "What law says you can't?" but as I said, I find it amazing that they are supposed to enforce the law and don't even know it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MK41144 View Post
    It's amazing that these officers are out there, supposedly enforcing the law, and they don't even know it.
    Impossible. Cop's know everything and want only what's best for us.

J/K

I know what you're talking about. My dad is retired PSP and still claims that suppressors are illegal.

Thumbs down Re: Had a discusson with a police officer today - open carry came up.

Quote Originally Posted by MK41144 View Post
    I'll try the "What law says you can't?" but as I said, I find it amazing that they are supposed to enforce the law and don't even know it.
    Try to memorize the Crimes Code, Vehicle Code and Act 64. You would have a hard time. This is not to say that some officers are not ignorant specifically to the law as it pertains to carrying a firearm that is not concealed, but to talk openly on here and hint in your post that police who SUPPOSEDLY enforce the law etc.. etc... is being just as ignorant.
    Jules

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Try to memorize the Crimes Code, Vehicle Code and Act 64. You would have a hard time. This is not to say that some officers are not ignorant specifically to the law as it pertains to carrying a firearm that is not concealed, but to talk openly on here and hint in your post that police who SUPPOSEDLY enforce the law etc.. etc... is being just as ignorant.
    Jules
    Nope. Do not take a job enforcing the law if you do not intend to know the law. This officer stated that he was an officer for 29 years. You can't tell me that in 29 years open carry has never come up.

(Luzerne County)

Ask him to show you the law that says open carry is illegal and that a handgun MUST be concealed. If he still doesn't belive you tell him you'll get back to him with my dept phone and fax number and I'll gladly set him right.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Ask him to show you the law that says open carry is illegal and that a handgun MUST be concealed. If he still doesn't belive you tell him you'll get back to him with my dept phone and fax number and I'll gladly set him right.
    Steve, as a side question...

As an officer yourself, do you think it is reasonable for a citizen to expect a police officer to mostly know the law? I understand that even an attorney has to consult research or his staff on a lot of the obscure stuff and the gray areas, but on the mosty cut and dry stuff (felonies/crimes code, vehicle code etc...), is it reasonable to expect that an officer of the law actually knows the law?

(Allegheny County)

hey nine as a Citizen i can say this, I expect them to know what they're arresting someone for before they try it. I know if I'm ever arrested for open carrying itself depending on the way im treated and the LEO's act, I'll either get them on false arrest and then hire a lawyer to get them on everything I can, or if they're nice about it an apologetic etc you know realizing they made a BIG mistake. Offer them the training memo.

(Luzerne County)

Yes, they should know the law. Some are naive, some are mis-informed, others think they know everything......and some actually know what they are supposed to know.

A lot of gun knowledge and laws are never covered (in detail) in the academy. Their annual firearms training is probably shoot the qual course, see ya next year, etc.

When you ask some of these officer why they think open carry is illegal, they can't cite the law that says so, they just say something like...."well, I know its illegal, etc"

Maybe the passing around of the letter to various police depts will help, or at least open some eyes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast