Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

I can't stop laughing....

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning....

Uphill... barefoot...

BOTH ways

Yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take, like, a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished and the tape would come undone. Cause - that's how we rolled, dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
    When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen... forever!
    And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or before!

Regards,
    The Over 30 Crowd

(Send this to someone you'd like to make smile, Whether they are under 30 or not.)

(Berks County)

Default Re: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

I'm only 24...

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet.
    Neither did I. Only got regular net access in school, and that wasnt until I was 16-17. Had my first net access in my own apartment when I was 20.

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!
    Ditto, and it still operates like that around here with my nieces and nephews.

There were no MP3' s or Napsters! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!
    Didnt get a CD player until I was 18-19. Didnt have a CD player in my car until 2 years ago.

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
    Ditto for me. Didnt get a cell phone until I moved out on my own at 19.

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'.
    I'll concede, I had Sega Genesis. Got PS1 around 16-17.

You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel! NO REMOTES!!!
    Remotes were around since the 70s man...they just made a 'click' to change channels. Yes, I had one.

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove! Imagine that!
    I'll give, we had an old nuker since I was a kid, one of those jobs that was about the same size as a conventional oven, and took 20 minutes to make a cup of water luke warm.

Must spread the wealth first, sorry.

Born 1964 in Germany ... man yes, that all sounds so familiar. On top of that, I remember seeing StarTrek on something like a 14-16 inch screen in black and white. No VCR! And I had permission to pick up the phone when it rang only. If I wanted to talk to a friend ... "something wrong with your bicycle?"

Nice find. I read it to my stepson (14) and we had a good laugh.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Cool Re: THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

i couldnt have said that story better myself. now that im almost 31 n have a 2yr old i also find myself talkin and looking at how kids are today compared to when i was that age.

(Lebanon County)

but... seeing most kids are hopeless, fucking dumb, and are also hypnotized by MTV, they'll just waste away conforming to a system that's fucking ass, pretty damn good right now, as while nobody seems to notice, because kids are spending most of their time logging into my space or whatever, doing jerk off shit.

As for me I'm a lucky little shit right now. I used the internet to learn at an incredible rate after high school, to get to where I am today. I graduated like 220 out of 240 students by the way. Well yesterday I just officially got accepted for an exceptional job that about maybe 2% of these weirdos in college right now will probably get to see in their carrier.

Internet, is sad.

Yeah, I remember riding in the family station wagon in the back seat in the summer, no AC, all the windows down, and begging my father to turn up the AM radio with one speaker in the dashboard so I could TRY to hear it all the way in the back seat, which was something like 40 feet away from the front of the car!

(Centre County)

that's pretty good and thanks for making me feel old.

(York County)

The 19 year old at work almost fell over when he overheard myself & another coworker talking about the days before VCRs.
    His jaw dropped & he said what, you guys were alive before there were any VCRs? We said yeah, & there were no microwaves, cell phones or CDs then either, what do you think of that? (I was born over a year before man set foot on the moon, but I wasn't going to tell him that)

He said "& to think I thought I was old because I had a beeper instead of a cell phone in elementary school."

That's the part where I just shook my head & walked away.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Northampton County)

I'm 25. Didn't have actual internet until about 5 years ago. Didn't get a cell phone until I was 22.

Video games? I had a Playstation at home but I was jealous because a friend of mine had an arcade version of Asteroids. Hell my favorite video game is Tetris. Not exactly a new game right there.

My family didn't have a car with AC or fuel injection until I was 17. My street bike was built before I was in Kindergarten and my dirt bike is older than I am.

I've only ridden 2 motorcycles that were built after 1988 and one is basically the exact same as it was when it was first designed back in the mid 70s. Just BNG (Bold New Graphics).

My first CD player was a gift when I was in high school. I didn't get an MP3 player until last Christmas.

My personal TV doesn't have a remote. It has the turn dials on it.

I have more vinyl records than I do CDs.

AND to top it off, when I worked at CVS after high school, I had to walk 3 miles uphill BOTH ways in the snow! And that's no joke either.

I lived at the top of a hill. I walked to the bottom then up another hill and down the other side. Coming home I would walk up the one hill and down it just to walk uphill to my house. I walked uphill both ways in the snow. I never said I didn't walk downhill at all. Lol.

(Allegheny County)

Amen to all of it. I remember when in my house, we had the console TV (you know, the kind that sit on the floor in a big wood cabinet). Then, my Dad really spent the big money, and bought us a VCR. Holy Crap, we felt like we were rolling in money (althought we weren't). My Mom had to learn how to operate it though. My Dad was a journeyman tool and die maker, machined manually with tolerances in the ten thousands of an inch, yes, not thousands...but +/- in the ten thousands of an inch. But, the VCR operation was too complicated for him, god rest his soul. I'm getting a good chuckle out of this one.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast