Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default NY tells stores to halt sales of some toy guns

NEW YORK - Despite years of enforcement stings, many New York stores still aren't complying with state rules banning the sale of toy guns that could be confused with the real thing, state officials said Tuesday.

Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said his office has sent letters to more than 100 retailers ordering them to halt sales of look-a-likes that violate the ban.

State law requires toy guns to either be made from materials that couldn't possibly be confused with an actual weapon, or carry colorful markings including a big orange stripe.

Inspectors with Cuomo's office said they conducted spot checks and found plenty of toys on sale that didn't follow those rules.

In most cases, the toys only complied with a less-strict federal rule requiring them to have an orange plug in the barrel.

Some of the stores that got letters included the discount retailers Dollar General, Big Lots and Dollar Tree and the hunting, camping and fishing supply store Gander Mountain.

Spokespeople for each of those stores didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Many of the smaller retailers that received demand letters from Cuomo's office had purchased the toys from a single supplier, Rhode Island Novelty, of Cumberland, R.I.

Rhode Island Novelty President Bob Nowak said the company was made aware of the problem about a month ago, and has since stopped selling any of the offending toys to retailers in New York. He said the company had previously been unaware of New York's regulations.

The state's toy law, one of the nation's toughest, has existed for years, but problems with compliance persist.

The retailer Party City paid a $500,000 penalty last year over its toy gun sales. Over the years, Wal-Mart, The Sports Authority, CVS, Walgreens and Kmart have also been fined.

Adults and children are shot almost every year across the U.S. because of toys mistaken for weapons. New York's most famous case involved Nicholas Heyward, a 13-year-old fatally wounded by a police officer as he played with friends in the hallway of his Brooklyn apartment building.
    Link

Filler filler....

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: NY tells stores to halt sales of some toy guns

Bust crack dealers? No, too dangerous. Jail corrupt politicians? Nah, just did one, so gotta wait a few years. Take down gang members? Nah, they'll b**** and moan about "racial profiling." Aha, let's go after toys! That's safe...accomplishes nothing, but it's safe for the cops to do, makes them look like they're doing something, and it conditions kids to think that anything resembling a firearm is wrong so it accomplishes liberal brainwashing. Perfect!
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Berks County)

I am so happy I don't live there anymore.

New Yorkers - behold your next governor - Andrew Cuomo.

And he will be Governor. Because you're just stupid enough to vote for him.

(Montgomery County)

They all should be locked up... I can't stand any of them, Bloomberg is an ass hole along with that shit hole of a city.....
    Last edited by Gtbullet; July 29th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
    Gt

New York's most famous case involved Nicholas Heyward, a 13-year-old fatally wounded by a police officer as he played with friends in the hallway of his Brooklyn apartment building.
    Wow...just wow. And the boy's "bang, bang" exclamations aided in the confusion I'm sure, since they sounded so much like real gunfire.

In other news, a man was shot dead during a raid on his home after police heard gun fire that was later determined to be from a late night western. Lawsuits are being pressed against the broadcaster for its display of toy guns not conforming to NY law.

My poor country.
    Last edited by Dannix; July 29th, 2009 at 02:44 PM.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gtbullet View Post
    They all should be locked up... I can't stand any of them, Bloomberg is an ass hole along with of that shit hole city.....
    couldnt have said it better myself,,

(Luzerne County)

Adults and children are shot almost every year across the U.S. because of toys mistaken for weapons. New York's most famous case involved Nicholas Heyward, a 13-year-old fatally wounded by a police officer as he played with friends in the hallway of his Brooklyn apartment building.

I think they need to have better police.

Thumbs up Re: NY tells stores to halt sales of some toy guns

yah whats next are they going to ban toy manufatures from making toy guns there effin rediculos about that kind of stuff these days.