Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Conversation with Franciscan Frier

I graduated from Saint Francis University which is a Franciscan University and have interacted with the Friars and priests on many occasions but this conversation I had I thought ya'll would like to hear about.

This past weekend I went to visit some of my fraternity brothers stuck on campus for football workouts and summer classes. They were having a cookout with one of our fraternities new advisers (the Franciscan Friar) and since I am one of the founding fathers of this fraternity my brothers wanted me to meet him. Well we had a nice conversation about our progress towards being re-chartered as well as plans for the upcoming year. As the conversation started to slack off one of my brothers, he had just turned 21 that day and was planning on buying a gun, asked if I was carrying, to which I replied "of course, always." This answer spurred a whole new conversation which completely took me by surprise.

The Friar, unlike so many anti's, just smiled a little, leaned back in his chair and asked "So what do you carry?" I said that I mostly carry a Glock 21 but sometimes I will carry a Glock 36. He sad that they were nice guns but he was partial to revolvers. The rest of the conversation was a combination of how gun owners were more responsible then non gun owners, his preference of 9mm over any other calibers, how much fun it is go go shooting, the different types of training that are available to civilians, and finally a nice debate on what my brother should buy as his first gun.

Needless to say I was shocked that a man of the cloth would approve of carrying and I also felt good that there was such an all around good guy that was going to be an adviser to the members of my fraternity.
    Last edited by Reaper; July 28th, 2009 at 12:01 AM.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Conversation with Franciscan Frier

Clergymen who believe in the 2nd amendment and carrying firearms are not as small a number as you might think.

Great story nonetheless, it's always cool to be surprised at having a nice conversation about guns with someone you never expected you would.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Berks County)

Jesus encouraged his disciples to be armed. He's a good friar.

(Huntingdon County)

My father in law is a pastor, and he is very much Pro-2A, and is a firm believer in defending his family.

To quote The Patriot:
    A shepherd must tend his flock, and at times....fight off the wolves.

The Monsignor at the parish where I was married was x-military chaplain and owned numerous guns. One an UZI. When he carried the church deposits to the bank it was on foot. He always had a gun strapped to him under his unzipped coat. The cops knew he had the guns and the day he died they were called to come and get the guns.

(Lackawanna County)

"Men of the cloth" played a big role in our Revolution. They were so effective at inspiring folks to defend their freedoms and to fight for their Liberty that the British commander, Gen. Thomas Gage, called them the Black Regiment.

...and I always liked that classic WW2 ditty, Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition, about a Navy Chaplain inspiring the troops at Pearl Harbor.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not usually one for quoting scripture as I am not a religious person, but it should come as no surprise that clergy are pro-gun and pro-self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    [Jesus] said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

But the question is... did you give the friar a flyer?

Pennsylvania Gun Rights ~Handy flyer

(Berks County)

So what you're telling us is that Reaper Hood had a good conversation with Friar Glock?
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.