Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default AR-15/AR-180 mag interchangeability

I was wondering if magazines made for AR-15's could also be used for AR-180's. Also, the other way around. They are both chambered in the same cartridge and the mags do look eerily similar in a picture. I've been looking around and I can't find anything on this for certain.

If anyone can offer any guidance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: AR-15/AR-180 mag interchangeability

Had an AR-180 quite a few years ago. If memory serves me correctly, the answer is yes. Anyway, this site (http://gunblast.com/ArmaLite-AR180.htm) says yes for AR-180B.

Milo
    Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Before all else, be armed.
    Machiavelli

(Berks County)

The answer is no. The ar-180 made by Sterling does not accept ar mags. The ar-180b however does. I have owned both and have tried. Sorry if you have the ar-180, great rifle but damn expensive mags. Ar-180b is not quite as riged but will take the ar mags and is still a fine rifle.

(Luzerne County)

Well, yes they will - if you want to tinker a bit.

The mags are basically the same, compare them.

Look at an AR-180 (not "B") mag, it has the square hole (no "bump") on the left & the slit on the right for interchangeability with AR-15/M-16. The AR-180B has been modified to the AR-15/M-16 mag catch/release type.

The magazine catch on an AR-15/M-16 engages the magazine on the left side (sqaure hole with a "bump" below) mag release pushes through receiver to disengage.

On an AR-180, the mag engages on the right side (a slit) mag release is hinged on right side.

To modify AR-15/M-16 mags, you'd have to cut the slit in the right side, a dremel tool w/cutoff wheel would do, it's not difficult. (Measure twice, cut once) You'd also have to reduce the "bump" on the left side to ease mag insertion & removal.

Worked for me way back when.

If you've got an old AR-15 mag you don't mind experimenting with, give it a try. With the price of magazines being what they are....................

Milo
    Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Before all else, be armed.
    Machiavelli

(Delaware County)

Ehh. I have new colt mags for an AR-15 that I probably shouldn't mess with. Thanks for the help though.