Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do i need?

(Monroe County)

Default What do i need?

Hi guys,nGals, I want to set up a trap on my property, maybe one of those have a heart traps, not necessarily to eat the animals or to get furs but to see what i really have on my property most of them will be released except for a few Rabbits during the season,

Q 1 what should i use for "bait" in the trap ?

Q2 do ineed a trapping license to trap- ? even on my own land? (dont want to break any laws)

Thanks, Nyman

(Mercer County)

Default Re: What do i need?

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Hi guys,nGals, I want to set up a trap on my property, maybe one of those have a heart traps, not necessarily to eat the animals or to get furs but to see what i really have on my property most of them will be released except for a few Rabbits during the season,

Q 1 what should i use for "bait" in the trap ?

Q2 do ineed a trapping license to trap- ? even on my own land? (dont want to break any laws)

Thanks, Nyman
    A1: depends on what you want to catch ie: rabbits - carrots, vegetables raccoons - cat food, corn, leftovers they will eat anything they can get their paws on squirrels - nuts

A2: yes you will need a furbearers license even on your own land, unless i suppose you released all of the animals and were just being relocated because they are a pest (which does not sound like the case here, so get the furbearers license)

(Lycoming County)

Get the license.

I see the following scenario... Walk out to the trap to find a very pissed off skunk waiting for you to come release it. Yea...
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Mercer County)

never done it myself but heard of lots of guys putting a sheet over the live trap and moving the skunk. i sure dont want to try it out though.

(Jefferson County)

To trap with a furbearers license, you have to use lawful traps. And if I remember correctly, those have-a-heart type traps are not legal for such sporting usage. Only certain size steeljaw and conebear traps are.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ranger_5_0 View Post
    never done it myself but heard of lots of guys putting a sheet over the live trap and moving the skunk. i sure dont want to try it out though.
    My neighbor just did this last week. He had a groundhog problem, put out a havahart trap, and caught a young skunk. He covered it with a piece of carpet or something and took it out to the back of his property and set it loose. He said as soon as the animal got out of the trap it tried to spray him, but he had moved some distance away by then.

(Lawrence County)

If you're trapping them at all, I would get the furbearers license just in the off chance you would need it. It's a muddy area to navigate you, and if you asked around to different PGC WCO's, you'll probably get different answers... If you're not planning on killing, just catching, I wouldn't see a reason for the license. But it's still disturbing the wildlife, which requires a license... See what I mean?

Humane traps for getting rid of pesky wildlife are one thing, but I don't know if a WCO will accept you doing it just to see what's around... And if he says what you're doing is considered trapping, then you're using unapproved equipment to do it, which carries fines and license revocation...Also, please note that any wild animal may carry rabies and won't exactly be happy you caught them in the first place... And skunks are deadly accurate at about 15 feet... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ranger_5_0 View Post
    A1: depends on what you want to catch ie: rabbits - carrots, vegetables raccoons - cat food, corn, leftovers they will eat anything they can get their paws on squirrels - nuts

A2: yes you will need a furbearers license even on your own land, unless i suppose you released all of the animals and were just being relocated because they are a pest (which does not sound like the case here, so get the furbearers license)
    Oh come on! Who's going to go to the trouble to get a furbearer license just to trap a few nuisance animals to relocate?

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Oh come on! Who's going to go to the trouble to get a furbearer license just to trap a few nuisance animals to relocate?
    I agree he is going to be using a live trap on private property and can release any animal protected by the game laws. Any nuisance animal not protected you can relocate or get rid of. It’s fun to trap and see what you get. BTW if you shoot a skunk with a 12 gauge heavy brass it will not have a chance to spray!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    For nuisance purposes, no. But he did mention rabbits and possibly not releasing them. I dont think rabbits are considered furbearing critters, so trapping them intentionally for fur/sport wouldn't be legal. If here were to relocate them unharmed, then he'd be safe. And if they were furbearing, the cage trap wouldn't be legal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast