Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Thumbs up Appleseed Shoot last Weekend

This past weekend I went to an Appleseed shoot at the South nj Shooting Club (I'lls ave jersey bashing for end of post). For those of you that do not yet know what the appleseed project is, or know but have not gone I strongly encourage you to learn more and attend - http://appleseedinfo.org/.

The instructors were amazing and dedicated, some driving from Virginia, W Virginia and taxachusets. There were 18 shooters on the line, 9 of them my friends and 5 instructors. That's a much better student:instructor ratio then at any $$$ school, for only $70. I'd like to thank the instructors for their excellent work and dedication.

There were several people there who could already shoot fairly well, and a few beginners. Everyone showed dramatic improvement. There was even 1 rifleman patch given out.

The weekend was spent not only shooting but also talking a little bit about history during the lunch breaks.

If you want to learn to shoot better and to meet more likeminded people - come out to an event.

I also noticed a few ARF bumper stickers from members still living behind enemy lines :-) .
    Last edited by netw0rkpenguin; July 22nd, 2009 at 12:20 AM.

Default Re: Appleseed Shoot last Weekend

Cool. Thanks for the report. What did you shoot, and what were others shooting? What is a "rifleman patch"?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Appleseed Shoot last Weekend

I'm glad you asked.
    We were shooting AQTs - Army Qualifying Targets. A qualifying score is 125, an expert score is 210. The highest possible score is 250. To be awarded a rifleman patch you need to score 210.

I was severely limited by what I could bring since pretty much none of my guns are nj legal or have low capacity mags. I ended up with a savage mark 2 bolt action rifle ($120 at wally world). I loaned out another mark 2, a rugger 10-22 and had a few more spares to loan out.

I saw mostly 10-22s on the line, and that is the recommended rifle for the event, with a few modifications - read the appleseed Liberty Training Rifle guide for more info on that. There were 2 ARs with dropped in 22lr bolts, including one of mine, an SKS and a SOCOM.