Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Appraising *Updated w/ pictures & Descriptions*

I'm going to be helping a guy sell off his collection that i met at the range....he said he has about 26 pieces he wants to get rid of..some rifle some handgun.

now i don't have pics or a list yet of what he has, but i will soon

all i know is he has m-1 all wood and the clip pops up upon firing the last round.
    a .38 tauras 50 +years great condition,"tons" of .223 military grade ammo(not sure how old) and i forget the last one we talked about but it was something like a1a1 something to that affect

i know the prices of new stuff and slightly old but these out of my range...is there a place that i could direct him to or someone whos private collector. he said that he doesn't want to just plop them on the floor of a gunshop and get a crap rate........if i get a detailed description or pics of them is there someone on here who KNOWS the current value? from the way he spoke i'm guessing he has 20-50k worth of stuff....
    Last edited by mickey01023; July 23rd, 2009 at 12:33 AM.

(Perry County)

Default Re: Appraising

He can look them up on Gunbroker and get a very good idea of what they are worth. Sell them on Gunbroker and get what they are worth. Or, I will be happy to give him $500 for the lot.

(Berks County)

If the Cabela's in Hamburg isn't too far from you I would take them to the guys in the Gun Library. You can sit with them in a private office and they will give you a free appraisal. They will give you 2 price values-one price if you want to sell to them and a second price of what you can expect to get from a private sale. There is no pressure and they don't lowball you if you sell to them. I brought a friends gun in for him while I worked there. It was a Win 101 - 12 ga o/u pigeon grade they gave him $1200 for it which he thought was generous at the time. They also gave me $250 for an 870 combo which I thought was pretty good, especially since I only paid $200 for the slug gun scope and sling, and then later paid another $100 for the smoothbore-I only lost about $50 cash on the deal but they let me keep the turkey choke I had for the smoothbore, the scope and the sling which was about another $150 in extras, actually I figure I was way ahead! Walking in I expected to only get $200 for the package. Good luck and please give us first dibs whatever you and him decide to do

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    He can look them up on Gunbroker and get a very good idea of what they are worth. Sell them on Gunbroker and get what they are worth. Or, I will be happy to give him $500 for the lot.
    yeah i was thinking that but some shit just isn't on there or modified stuff....and then theirs the condition that dictates the whole deal

that and gun broker is a pain in the ass i think...i wanted to make an account and they wanted CC#s drivers license, fingerprints, stool sample, right and left nut along with the first born lol i was hoping that they could go to someone on here ya know kinda keeping it in the family

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by matty70 View Post
    If the Cabela's in Hamburg isn't too far from you I would take them to the guys in the Gun Library. You can sit with them in a private office and they will give you a free appraisal. They will give you 2 price values-one price if you want to sell to them and a second price of what you can expect to get from a private sale. There is no pressure and they don't lowball you if you sell to them. I brought a friends gun in for him while I worked there. It was a Win 101 - 12 ga o/u pigeon grade they gave him $1200 for it which he thought was generous at the time. They also gave me $250 for an 870 combo which I thought was pretty good, especially since I only paid $200 for the slug gun scope and sling, and then later paid another $100 for the smoothbore-I only lost about $50 cash on the deal but they let me keep the turkey choke I had for the smoothbore, the scope and the sling which was about another $150 in extras, actually I figure I was way ahead! Walking in I expected to only get $200 for the package. Good luck and please give us first dibs whatever you and him decide to do
    thats a great idea... i had no idea they did that, esp free pricing...sent ya some rep...but truth be told i was hoping to do the leg work for the guy so i can cherry pick a piece out of the collection or get it at a discount for being the middle man

(Centre County)

There are several books on the market that can help determine what the value of a gun. They are not perfect and they give the "book" price of a gun. The "Blue Book of Gun Values" is one (of several) that I use. Just remember that these books won't give you everything all the time. The gun may be worth more if it is a rarer model and the books may not take that into account.

Appraising a gun collection is NOT a one or two day process, especially if he has 20K-50K worth of guns/accessories/ammo, etc. To do it right, to get the maximum amount for the guns may take several weeks of in depth research. I's hate to see someone sell an old Smith & Wesson revolver without doing the research, many are worth much, much more than what people sell them for, just because they didn't do the research needed.

If you can't find a similar gun on Gunbroker to compare it to, you can check Guns America or Auction Arms sites also. These sites will give you a representation of what the guns are selling for on an average.

For the M1 (all wood and the clip pops up upon firing the last round.) It is a M1 Garand and they all do this (if they are working properly). You need to know who made it, what year it was made, condition (Rack, Field, Service, Collector grade), etc to come up with a good price. CMP can help you out as well as the Garand Collectors Association.

The a1a1, might be a M1A1, a variant of the M1 Carbine. Same thing as for the M1 (who made it, year made, etc.)

Military ammo age and who manufactured it can be determined by the headstamp markings (as long as it has not been fired and reloaded).

If any guns have be "modified" the selling price will depend on the gun and the modifications, who modified it and if the modifications are something the average shooter would want or were they modified to "fit" one particular person (if so the value will be lowered).

You also have to take into account the condition of the gun. Any of the gun price books will describe condition and how to determine it. Most will have good pictures of guns in different conditions and also give a good word picture of conditions. This can play a very big part in the selling price of any gun.

As you can see, appraising isn't something that can just be done in a slap dash manner. To get the correct prices and quickest sell, it takes a good bit of work.

Good Luck with your endeavor.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lackawanna County)

All i remember about the M1 is that its has an unregistered serial # or something like that...i more excited to inspect it and shoot it lol you can read all about it online till the cows come home but until you play with one your only half smart.....yeah i know this gonna take a while to be correctly i have until Nov. till he heads back down to Flordia for 6 months

(Lackawanna County)

hey hey...just got back from photographing some of the guns that he wants to get rid of......i think hes testing the waters with these first and then there will be more to come but ANY help with pricing these would be greatly appreciated!

2 34 flight king deluxe serial k121 -says highstandard

ERNI 7.35 made in 1938 roman numerals xvii

gabilondo y cia-elgoibar .32 llama - this looks just like a mini 1911

iver johnson arms and cycle works fitch burg mass usa .38spl - i guess this was a bicycle company that made guns, they wanted you to ride and carry this one was made in 1890s, theirs a bunch of dates on top of the barrel, i couldn't get good pics

Japanese WWII era rifle bolt action rifle - it has the imperial flower or something on there...hard to get a pic

M1 Garand peep hole sights, bayonet - great condition

Mauser m 98

Mossberg 500 pump shotgun pistol grip with conversion kit unfired, heat sheild,wooden stock, idk the barrel length on the spare w/ original paperwork

Noble model 66j

Savage Arms model 110 223 Remington bolt action - great condition, only a few shells fired out of it

Smith & Wesson CTG .38spl

Springfield Smith Corona

Taurus made in brazil .38spl

Thompson Center Arms .50 cal muzzleloader cap lock rochester New Hampshire

US Remington O3A3 - the pics don't do this justice, this is a beautiful rifle mint condition IMO

Was an 8mm Mauser, re barreled 3006 sporterized

Walther .32 acp - were not sure if this works or what model is it

Winchester model 12 feather weight 12g 2 34

Winchester model 94-32 30-30 - the scope is mounted like off to the left...so mounted for a right handed shooter

Winchester model 1400 semi auto

Cross Bow, the pics of the brand so name and model didn't save or something this all i have to work with...it has a 150lb pull on it

Sorry I forgot to take pics of the .223 ammo, but he did tell me that he has 2 jerry cans with 800-1000 in each

Any pricing on these will help alot, i know one of you is going to take the time and go through every gun and give me a price, but i'd like to get a few opinions...anyone who helps i'll glady give rep too...your not helping me, your helping an Army Officer and FDNY vet

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mickey01023; July 24th, 2009 at 01:59 PM. Reason: pistol grip shotgun pic didn't show up

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Appraising *Updated w/ pictures & Descriptions*

I'll take the M1, the sunglasses and the flip flops. Most of that stuff has not had any TLC.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Appraising *Updated w/ pictures & Descriptions*

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    I'll take the M1, the sunglasses and the flip flops. Most of that stuff has not had any TLC.
    lol your not the only one whos tried to get there hands on my Armani flip flops

i think all these pieces have sat in a safe for years untouched and what they need a just a lil cleaning because alot of them the pics don't do them justice of how nice they really are

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast