Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default NRA Basic Pistol course

This is probably best answered by our resident NRA instructors....

I have been looking for the Basic Pistol course...found it at several "local" ranges but so far none that i can attend schedule wise.

But something that i have noticed is the wide range of cost for this course. I'm guessing that its the same 10 hour course no matter where you take it...but i have seen the cost as low as $40 and as high as $150...

What causes such wild fluctuations?

(York County)

Default Re: NRA Basic Pistol course

I'm not sure why they would charge so much for the course. i paid $35 and it was just myself and one other person in the class. You have to go through the same material so i'm not sure why they charge more. I'd try and find a cheap course and make your schedule fit if you can because when i was first getting into shooting it definitely helped me alot

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

I have been looking for the Basic Pistol course...found it at several "local" ranges but so far none that i can attend schedule wise.

But something that i have noticed is the wide range of cost for this course. I'm guessing that its the same 10 hour course no matter where you take it...but i have seen the cost as low as $40 and as high as $150...

It may have something to do with renting facilities, etc. If they have to rent range time, or a room to hold the course the price would go up.

Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers charges 7.00 for the course. That is what the NRA charges us for the student kit. We offer the course as a service to new shooters and have since the 60's. We have given the course every month this year with 40-50 students per class. Obama has really increased our participation.

(Allegheny County)

I'm not an instructor, but my fiance is, so I asked him. He says:

The NRA has no set price scale for classes. They encourage the instructors to only charge enough to cover their costs (book for the student, range fee if there is one, etc). They discourage you from using it as a profit maker and encourage instructors to only cover direct cost of the course. They want you to teach for the love of it, not for profit.

That being said, there can be some reasons for the differences. If it's at a gun club or range, there may be a fee for using the club, which would differ. If the class includes shooting, the instructor may charge for ammo. Also they probably factor in some money for gas and small things like photocopies. My fiance says his Basics class that he attended was $65.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by john23 View Post
    It may have something to do with renting facilities, etc. If they have to rent range time, or a room to hold the course the price would go up.

Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers charges 7.00 for the course. That is what the NRA charges us for the student kit. We offer the course as a service to new shooters and have since the 60's. We have given the course every month this year with 40-50 students per class. Obama has really increased our participation.
    $7! Nice! but to go to HHA i'm looking at 250 miles...round trip... 4 times...

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

What's your schedule? You could check with Jason Schafer of JS Holsters, or if you'd like, I could schedule a trip to accomodate you if you have a few extra students.
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor-2009,classes available.

(Bucks County)

I've been to Jason's website...he doenst have a schedule for that class...and i cant justify with the Mrs spending his fee when she has already seen i can spend $40 for the same... (sorry Jason)

My weekends thru Aug are all pretty much used up with previously plannings...so i'd be looking at least Sept for free weekends
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; July 22nd, 2009 at 10:20 AM.

(Bucks County)

We try to hit the average for the region, but it is disconcerting when these conversations come up.

First question...what is your _time_ worth per hour? Should an instructor "donate" that to you? would your electrician? physician (oops, can't use that one...O is making that impossible not to)

Some "clubs" have firearms available, and see it as their mission, to provide training, and thus cover the "incidentals" for you from the treasury (those that go for $35 or so) (eg LanghorneRodandGunClub.org for basic rifle)

Other "Individuals" need to "capitalize" their resources, hire a range, AND a classroom, etc. Range fees for a non member start at about $35 an hour, and $10 or so for the guest...PER HOUR. NRA mandates this course as 10 hour (shortly to be 8). Maybe the instructor manages to work a deal to "split" the cost with the range...(ie Classic Pistol). Rooms can run about $50 an hour for a small room to $200, plus media equipment, etc. NRA training for the instructor probably starts at $350 for the first discipline, plus NRA fees (figure $100 over three years), liability insurance about $400, books at $10 per student (includes mailing), teaching aids ($35 per blue gun if they use them), targets (a ream of type paper), food (if they provide), AMMO and GUNS, which they may need to provide (starting at $250 capital for a single 22/45 to $550 for a glock 19, OR, if at a gunshop type range, rent for $10-20 each)at least one for every two students, hearing protection for eveybody (at least half the folks never comply with "bring your own") and eye protection, sand bags (required for the "supported position shoot as the first live fire) etc etc. You get the drift.

Figure the guns get amortized over five years, but you need multiples. BTW: the instructor is SUPPOSED to have, for the BASIC PISTOL, a functional semi-auto, a double action revolver, AND a single action revolver. They are encouraged to have a variety of other variances, like a hammerless, shrouded hammer, and full hammer revo, DA/SA autoloader, SA autoloader, etc.That then requires a lock box to transport them in, and a safe to store them in.d

IF an instructor can get a minimum of 6 paid students, they have a shot at recovering expenses at $10 an hour per student (which means I shouldn't give up a 'work day' to do it) IF they do a dozen courses a year, all full. When a couple of students cancel, it wipes out the budget.

As the previous spouse has stated, at under 10 students and under $10-15 an instructional hour, it is a labor of love.

NRA Training Counselor
    (number fluent, because we just did them for the new Pistol Instructors this weekend).

(Lebanon County)

Remember that instructors are not only paying for facilities, materials, ammo, range time, travel expenses etc but we should also have LIABILITY insurance we're paying for. Just saying, another thing people forget we're paying for. There is also the expense of getting certified.

I'm not exactly next door to you but if there is anything I can do to help (even if it's not until Sept) let me know. I'd be glad to teach.

(Lebanon County)

BTW: the instructor is SUPPOSED to have, for the BASIC PISTOL, a functional semi-auto, a double action revolver, AND a single action revolver.
    Really? Where is that in the manual? I am asking because I don't recall being told I HAD to have all three of them. Not trying to be a smartass. Just asking because I'd like to see that in writing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast