Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Iraqis issued Glocks!?!?!?!

I didn't even know about this till my friend started bitching about it the other day. I figured they just had old crappy guns left over, nope They definately don't deserve new glocks. (my opinion). I'm sure Glock must have some good lobbying people in washington.

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/1203/121203cdpm2.htm

And according to this one their going to good use

But after narrowly escaping death twice, including being shot at near a polling station in Baghdad during national elections in December 2005, he decided to quit, he said.

"I sold my Glock pistol and my bullet-proof vest for $1,500 so that I can feed my family until I find a safer job. They were mine to sell, after all I had risked my life and faced death," he told Reuters.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020500306.html

Default Re: Iraqis issued Glocks!?!?!?!

Well if you look at it like this:

They are cheaper than Berettas. (although as a service pistol I would rather of had a Glock than the Beretta I was issued)
    We need them well armed if were ever to get our guys home.

Personally I think what should have happened was that we should have replaced some of the aging Berettas with the Glocks and given the M9s to the Iraqis, but the Glock isn't approved for US Military outfitting.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

if anyone has good lobbysts in washington its beretta, i'll never understand how that is the sidearm of the US military.

(Erie County)

I just think its crap they get brand spankin new guns. Give them our old guns that are outta service. Just sounds like more wasted money

But I wonder how many of these guns they got are in service and how many were sold or now in the hands of insurgants. Just like the pallets of cash that got shipped over there and now 10 billion or something is unaccounted for.

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    if anyone has good lobbysts in washington its beretta, i'll never understand how that is the sidearm of the US military.
    Well Berettas came into service in '85, Glocks were still too new and no one liked the idea of a polymer gun.

The Beretta tested well, performs well, and is one of the better 9mm pistols out there.

The bigger question is why on earth they conceded to a 9mm service pistol to begin with (NO CALIBER WARS PLEASE) when all they can shoot is FMJ.

(Blair County)

The Iraqis were issued G19s, Walther P99s, and maybe another gun I don't remember. The G19s are by far the most numerous.

I don't know how many are in the hands of the insurgents, but the total numbers issued to Iraqi army and police is in the six digits.

Fortunately, as in most third world countries, the pistol is more of a symbol of authority than and actual weapon. No handgun represents a significant threat to American or coalition forces, since that would require closing in on those forces, and the insurgents have found that to be a universally losing proposition.

Most of the guns in the holsters of IAs or IPs only have a couple of rounds in them, if they have any at all. Since we know that in some of the areas 75% of the police are in someone's militia, them having pistols may be a good thing. The first time I saw an IP with and RPG I almost shot him.

Regarding the quoted Iraqi hero, I wonder if the American GIs all know that they can quit and sell their government issued equipment after they've been shot at once or twice? I truly believe going to and staying in Iraq was the right thing to do, and I'll be going back as soon as I can secure another contract, but I don't honestly believe we can save Iraq from the Iraqis.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

Thumbs up Re: Iraqis issued Glocks!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by DPB View Post
    The Iraqis were issued G19s, Walther P99s, and maybe another gun I don't remember. The G19s are by far the most numerous.

I don't know how many are in the hands of the insurgents, but the total numbers issued to Iraqi army and police is in the six digits.

Fortunately, as in most third world countries, the pistol is more of a symbol of authority than and actual weapon. No handgun represents a significant threat to American or coalition forces, since that would require closing in on those forces, and the insurgents have found that to be a universally losing proposition.

Most of the guns in the holsters of IAs or IPs only have a couple of rounds in them, if they have any at all. Since we know that in some of the areas 75% of the police are in someone's militia, them having pistols may be a good thing. The first time I saw an IP with and RPG I almost shot him.

Regarding the quoted Iraqi hero, I wonder if the American GIs all know that they can quit and sell their government issued equipment after they've been shot at once or twice? I truly believe going to and staying in Iraq was the right thing to do, and I'll be going back as soon as I can secure another contract, but I don't honestly believe we can save Iraq from the Iraqis.
    Amen brother, Godspeed.

good luck over there and stay safe, i too agree we need to be there and stay and finish the job. if we turn that place around, so many countries are going to realize they cant pull the shit they do.

If the link works there's an interesting article on what the US troops think of the
    M9 -- Seems most want a return to something in the 45caliber range. Thought it was an interesting article.

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003515.html
    Recoil Happens

(Delaware County)

It is an economic ploy. They can sell the Glocks back to the American service men using the black market, thereby, allowing them to earn extra cash without our military going to Congress for extra money for the war.

It is a win/win situation. The Iraqis get a lesson in free enterprise and our troops get better weapons.

Although I intended this to be a joke, from recent reports that I have read, this is exactly what is happening.

The guy that originally said, "War is good business", must have had this war in mind when he coined the phrase.
    Last edited by reels18; June 4th, 2007 at 08:47 AM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast